Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 4:16:24 PM EDT
Accuracy and reliability wise?  Assuming they are an armorer and can put one together "by the book"
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't matter.  In fact, YOU should be building your own AR15s.  It's very easy, and if you do it with good parts and do it well, it's probably better than a factory rifle because it's built by someone who REALLY cares about the final product.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Doesn't matter.  In fact, YOU should be building your own AR15s.  It's very easy, and if you do it with good parts and do it well, it's probably better than a factory rifle because it's built by someone who REALLY cares about the final product.

I agree...sort of.  I prefer to have high quality parts assembled by a professional for a few reasons:

1.  I do not have the level of skill with assembly that I feel I need for the barrel assembly.
2.  I do not have the proper tools for this either.
3.  I prefer to let someone who is an expert do the initial assembly, and then I'll keep it working.
4.  A good builder will care about the weapons build (at least mine do - YMMV).
5.  I trust my A$$ to my weapons, and I don't trust my A$$ to build anything from a pile of parts.

I have told two builders here on this site that "You build and operate, I just operate, and that makes you the expert" YMMV

If you are building a plinker, or use the rifle for a hobby, then I think that it would be rewarding to DIY build a rifle, but for "bet you a$$ reliability and function" I need a professional to build my kits.  Again YMMV.

IO1
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I like tto have others do my smithing, cause if anything gets screwed up they have to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I try to do it all myself.  The cost of the tools can be offset by the money you save on your very first build.

There is not much about assembling an upper that you need a smith for.... unless you are talking about replacing FSB's (with new stock style), changing gas ports, threading/crowning, installing the barrel extension.

If you are just talking assembling the barrel you want with the upper receiver you want, then installing basic options.... no magic juju there.  Easy, simple stuff almost anyone can do.

Accuracy?  Reliability?  Theyt only go together one way, and there are no real secrets to assembly.... just some subtle nuances.  Best thing you can do for reliability is buy quality parts, and for accuracy get a good barrel and free float it.... if you are talking match grade accuracy.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=202467
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not an armorer, but I've put together every upper I own and about 100 others that are all over the country.  I use the "book" with improved instructions from you experiences and experiences of others here.  I love building my own.  They are accurate and reliable and keep getting better as I learn more.  I really don't think it matters much, as long as the person has the minimum knowledge of building an upper and ALL of the right tools to do the job.  No Dremels, pipe wrenches, vise grips, channel locks, etc., etc.  

Those who skimp on tools and parts are the people most likely to have problems with their builds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like the idea of building my own sometime for fun and will do it.

This particular upper I want will be for a duty rifle so Im sure its best to let a pro do it.  If I order all the parts I want can you guys suggest someone to put it together that is extremely careful and REALLY cares about the final product.

Also......thanks for planting the idea of someday building my own for fun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Mongo, I resent that... I press in roll pins with vise grips.

But other than that, yes, I have the right tools, action block for barrel installs, barrel vise jaws for flash hiders, barrel wrench, CAR stock wrench.

I bought all that when I was going to put together my first upper, which was a true kit, all parts.

So, I took the upper rx and barrel to a local gunsmith, asked him to screw the barrel on.  He said for AR-15's, he just wrapped a rag around the upper receiver and clamped it in a vise, and tapped on the barrel nut with hammer and punch.

I said, no thanks, and went home and BOUGHT the tools I needed for about what he was going to charge me to do this.  And I followed directions and all came out right my very first time.  

There is NO substitute for the correct tools.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There is NO substitute for the correct tools.

Ditto.

I have had guns built by some pretty knowledgeable people (some might even be on this board )
and I have built several myself.

Provided one uses quality parts (and quality ammo) you should not have any problems.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I think we agree the issue is having the tools.  Building an AR requires NO SKILL what so ever only knowledge and tools.  You cannot make an AR more or less accurate or more or less reliable if the parts are assembled per spec with propper tools.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top