Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 9:03:48 AM EDT
Hello everyone:

I currently have a 16 inch, fluted, HBAR from Bushmaster.  I recently added the EOTECH 512 and now with a fully loaded magazine, the barrel end of the rifle feels heavier than ever.  I'm thinking of switching to a lighter barrel to save weight.

Do HBARS have any advantages over other types of barrels?  Why did manufactures put these on the market to begin with?

Thank you for your response.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Minsane:   The heavier barrels will heat up more slowly and offer greater rigidity.  There is something to be said for the heft of a heavy barrel for steady holding of the firearm, also.  But.....since a 16" barrel is carbine length, shooters usually are more interested in ease of handling.  Much depends on how much weight can really be saved by changing barrels and the intended role of the weapon.  If it is for short range home defense, a lighter barrel may offer better handling qualities, but if it is a general purpose firearm, the extra weight may help.  My carbines have the standard M4 profile barrel.  I guess, only you can decide your exact requirements.  Personally, I would leave it as is.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#2]
"Bicep enlargement?"

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It will be a little more steady when fired over a rest, and the barrel heats more slowly. Other than that, its an excercise device.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If you've got a FA M16, the HBAR's can take more full-auto fire before they get too hot.  For regular semi work, a lightweight is just fine.  Heck, even for full-auto, I use M4 profile barrels all the time.  Crane did testing on the M4 barrels after SOCOM had problems with them and it took between 540 and 590 rounds straight (with 10 sec to change mags) full auto fire before they would blow.  The pictures are pretty cool.  They would blow either right infront or behind the gas block.  Also, the manufacturers make more HBARs because they are less expensive to make.  The barrel blanks start out as HBAR and need to be turned down to lightweight.  Less machining operations equals less cost.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
How about if used on a Recce carbine?  Would a 16" LMT barrel do just as well in this role as an HBAR 16" barrel?  If used on a sniping type weapon, which would be better or am I confusing the role of the recce?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, in some states that have their own bans, the heavy barrel is considered a target barrel, therefore it is a "sporting arm".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top