Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 8:47:42 PM EDT
I know the question has been raised about whether FN barrels are available to the civilian market.  I was wondering if there were any old surplus barrels out there?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know when FN started M16A2 production, but in general the US Military doesnt surplus gun parts intact anymore. They are cut up, or demilled in some way. They then sell them as scrap metal.  Its possible that some are not demilled correctly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Fulton Armory sells them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fulton Armory sells them.

One of the reasons I decided to ask the question was because I ordered one of their barrels.  (It is very nice.)  It looks to me like there is a date under the handguard cap that is 6/61.  I'm not quite sure that mark is a date.  The front sight had an a2 sight post installed.  I was just curious if the marking could be a date stamp.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I dont know when FN started M16A2 production, but in general the US Military doesnt surplus gun parts intact anymore. They are cut up, or demilled in some way. They then sell them as scrap metal.  Its possible that some are not demilled correctly.

This WAS true, under the Clinton administration.  Apparently though, the rules have changed in the past few years.

Go to any gun show or peruse the EE section of this site and you'll find all kinds of intact milsurp pieces for the AR. Over the past three years I personally have acquired original M16 and M16A1 upper assys, stocks, forends, etc.

My hunch is that, as the Army has switched over to the M4, M16A2 barrels and stocks have been surped out. Last month I picked up three M16A2 buttstocks, brand new, w/Frankford Arsenal tickets indicating Colt manufacture, for about what one commercial Colt stock would cost
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
They are still demilled still. I know, I have watched my unit armorer smash old stuff and my unit is about as relaxed as it gets.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It looks to me like there is a date under the handguard cap that is 6/61.  I'm not quite sure that mark is a date.  

If you look more closely I'm pretty sure you'll see that it says 6/01.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It looks to me like there is a date under the handguard cap that is 6/61.  I'm not quite sure that mark is a date.  

If you look more closely I'm pretty sure you'll see that it says 6/01.

I did wonder whether the 6 could be a 0.  When I take off the m5 RAS again I'll have to break out the magnifying glass.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They are still demilled still. I know, I have watched my unit armorer smash old stuff and my unit is about as relaxed as it gets.

Don't know about your outfit, but don't take my word for it.  Go on over to the Parts threads on the EE section, and take a look at how much milsurp pieces for A1s and A2s is on the market.  

There are too many guys posting about having bought FN marked A2 barrels (and Colt for that matter) for them not to have been surped out  usable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top