Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 8:04:25 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I'm looking at options for putting together a nice bull-barrel 20" .308 accuracy rifle.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start, or could point me in the direction of where I need to look to find various barrel and stock setups, as well as some basics for building the rifle with accuracy being the end goal.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll probably get better or more answers from the Precision rifles section here : www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=5
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
There is also a lot of good info at www.snipershide.com.
I have a 20" .308 that shoots lights out.  SG&Y built it for me.  They do great work are local(for me in DFW), but expect a long wait.  GAP rifles are super and George gets the work done quick.  HD rilfes are also very good.  
For non custom, even though I am a Rem700 type of guy, the last couple of new Savage accutrigger 308's have shot well under MOA with handloads, most right around 1/2.

Rem 700 action, Hart 1:10, Jewell, AI folder, SWR can, badger bases, badger rings.  SG&Y built. Had GAP put an oversized bolt on and less powerfull scope.  This gun shoots better than I do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are some places to start

GA Precision  George and his crew make some awesome rifles

Iron Brigade Armory Home of the Chandler Rifle

Texas Brigade Armory Mike Lau's another excellent rifle smith.

Nor-Cal Precision  Home of the NightHawk
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is my GAP rifle.  

GA Precision .308 AICS
24" Rock 5R M24 Contour
SSG Boltknob
Sako Style Extractor
Badger Recoil Lug
Ken Farrel Base
TPS Steel Rings
Leupold 4.4-14X50mm LR M1 with Premier Gen-II Mil Dot

I have been veru happy with the work and I think it is definately worth the $$.

This is what I started shooting long range with
Rem 700 PSS
Barrel Shortened to 22"
Sako Style Extractor
Badger Rings and Bases
Leupold MK4 M3 Scope

The links and advice given above will give you a good start.  Don't be afraid to spend the money on a quality setup.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information.

I noticed that Brownell's is selling Remington 700  short action receivers.

If I bought one of those, and an Accuracy International Chassis, What barrel would
you folks recommend ?

What else would I need to complete the rifle (other than the optics) ?

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]
JHaines,

It was actually cheaper for me to go to Wal-Mart and buy a short action ADL and rip it apart then to buy a new receiver from Brownells.  For barrels I really like my Rock 5R, but I have a Schneider barrel for another project right now.  Rock built the original barrels for the Army's M24 project and gets insane barrel life and Schneider makes all the current Marine M40A3 barrels.  You also can't go wrong with a Kreiger, Lilja, or Lothar Walthar.  For optics Leupold is a good stand by.  Their prices aren't too bad and you get a proven design.  Many people swear by US Optics or Schmidt and Bender, but they where a little out of my price range.  I have looked at Nightforce, but I would have felt like I was putting the Hubble telescope on top of my rifle.  I guess it all comes down to what you find that you like and what you can afford.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Or you can just buy a Rem 700 LTR in .308 to start with.  They come with a 20" heavy fluted barrel HS Precision stock, and are a very nice starting point.  Very accurate to boot, and no j-lock on the LTR model.

You can always have re-barreled after the fact.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]
WalkerTexasRanger,

The only problem with the LTR is that horrible factory barrel and the stock sucks.  The barrels may shoot all right, but they will never come close to a custom.  They also are horrible to clean.  I shot a PSS for 11 years.  I still have it and it is going to be rebuilt now that my GAP rifle is finished.  My PSS was a chore to clean all the copper out once I finished shooting.  My Rock barrel is  4 wet patched, 5 strokes with the brush, and 4 wet patches and it is done.  I have let it soak overnight with a copper solvent and there was no blue even after that little cleaning.  You also have an issue with the chambers being designed by lawyers.  They are oversized with long throats on factory rifles.  It may make it nice for feeding anything ammo wise, but accuracy suffers.  I shot my PSS in the H-S stock and I didn't know any better, but after going to the AICS stock I don't know how I shot that H-S stock for so long.

IDHunt

--
The Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited by Law

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]
IDHunt,

I really like your GA .308 - very nice.....I'm not sure what the terminology is, but I think it's called a "lug"...anyway, what kind of tip is on the end of the bolt charging handle on your rifle ?

I'd like a heavy-barreled .308, with an Accuracy International stock.

I noticed that the ADL barrels have a front sight, Any other suggestions on a complete rifle that I could pick up with the Remington short action and heavy barrel - that would allow me to remove it from the stock and stick it in the AI stock ?

How much do you think I could accomplish the above for ?

I have a Leupold scope I could use for the time being (until I decided to spend really big bucks on the optics) - I could also upgrade the rifle later if I wanted....I'd just like a nice starting platform that would have decent accuracy.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Knight/Stoner SR25  -  sub 1/2" moa
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hi folks,

I'm looking at options for putting together a nice bull-barrel 20" .308 accuracy rifle.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start, or could point me in the direction of where I need to look to find various barrel and stock setups, as well as some basics for building the rifle with accuracy being the end goal.

Thanks in advance.

Don't rule out buying a cheap Sendero or VS complete from Wally World.  You can easily sell a factory bull barrel and synthetic (H&S) stock when you start your build.  Plus, you can even shoot it first.  It helps to start somewhere to know where you are going.

Jerry Rice builds a good rifle.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a Krieger and get 1/10 so you can still shoot subsonic ammo since its 20" and you obviously want a suppressor in the furure to addd on the end 1/12 and you may get baffle strikes.  Get a fluted Krieger as they are no less accurate and weigh less and the AICS is already so heavy you want to save weight going 20" and fluted.

Its funny how the pictured rifles look so similar lol.  Everyone wants that set up it seems or at least some derivative of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top