Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 8:07:56 AM EDT
Have some curiousities regarding spacing with a verticle grip and bipod together on a carbine rail.

PICTURES AND COMMENTS/RECOMMENDATIONS are welcome and appreciated!  TIA.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll post a pic I have later this evening.

But................the only time I use a bi-pod on a carbine is to set the zero on a scope or when I change ammo and want to find the POI.

Once I do that, I take it off.  I personally don't want or feel a bi pod is needed on a CQB weapon.  Now if it's set up as a long range precision rifle, then that's something else again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I did it one for photos only.  Kinda silly to have both - the bipod was only used for accuracy testing anyway.

Here is a pic I took a couple of years ago:
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have some curiousities regarding spacing with a verticle grip and bipod together on a carbine rail.

PICTURES AND COMMENTS/RECOMMENDATIONS are welcome and appreciated!  TIA.

This combo seems very popular with the IDF.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I  use a bipod and a vert grip together but I have a 9.5 inch rail so there is more room.  The combo allows for very rapid long range fire.  I use the vert grip to pull the weapon into my shoulder and the bi-pod down into the ground.  This keeps the reticle of my ta31 from moving at all between shots.  I can fire at a 12"x12" steel plate at 400meters twice and hear both bullets strike after firing the second shot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all those that have replied so far, I'd love to see some more pictures!

I have a 16" sub-MOA upper that I intend to make my jack of all trades, master of most of them upper.  I intend to use a scope+red dot AND vert grip+bipod.  I'm really just trying to figure out if I can get away with a carbine rail or if I need a midlength with a low-profile gas block.

Getting the light out further has been considered but deemed unnecessary by me for what I want, so that alone is not enough to justify the longer rail (just a bonus if I do end up with a midlength rail).  It just didn't seem to move the barrel much further out of the light's path.. it probably makes a bigger difference on 14.5" barreled uppers.

This has been my plan for this upper since the start (pocket book & ammo thurst keeps progress slow) and should be very handy @ only 1" longer than an M4/14.5" and just slightly under an SPR in long-range capabilities.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I  use a bipod and a vert grip together but I have a 9.5 inch rail so there is more room.  The combo allows for very rapid long range fire.  I use the vert grip to pull the weapon into my shoulder and the bi-pod down into the ground.  This keeps the reticle of my ta31 from moving at all between shots.  I can fire at a 12"x12" steel plate at 400meters twice and hear both bullets strike after firing the second shot.

Sweet!  I'm jelous!  I was drooling all over the DD 9.5FSP for quite awhile and it's still my favorite rail layout, it's just that some of my other requirements such as attachment method & servicability don't jive.  Even though I have the specialized tools, I don't have a good place to work on my upper, nor a vise.. which I have to borrow every time I pull my upper apart.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The 9.5 FSP is great for a 16 inch  "jack of all trades" AR.  I don't know why we don't see more of them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The 9.5 FSP is great for a 16 inch  "jack of all trades" AR.  I don't know why we don't see more of them.

Agreed, and why the rail layout isn't copied more often by other manufacturers as well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd stay away from bipods, they make tracking a moving target difficult as they skip and jump.  Just use a pack and learn to do without
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Having a Bipod on a rifle you have a good chance of taking a long shot with is a great idea.  I learned to shoot over a pack,rock,crumbled hat, off my fist or whatever I could fine then I got some Harris bipods and they are great one for every gun please
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:54:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'd stay away from bipods, they make tracking a moving target difficult as they skip and jump.  Just use a pack and learn to do without

The Harris has enough flex in the crotch that you can track just fine at longer ranges.  And see my above post -- the 5.56 carbine does not skip or jump one bit.  I'll keep my Harris thank you much.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#13]
QUIB,

Good pic, where was it taken and what unit is that?  Or............if you told me you'd only have to kill me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Harris has enough flex in the crotch that you can track just fine at longer ranges.  And see my above post -- the 5.56 carbine does not skip or jump one bit.  I'll keep my Harris thank you much.

So do all of your rifles have such bipods?  The point is that if a shooter becomes too reliant on bipods and got used to using bipods to make shots, what happens if he's issued or given a weapon that doesn't have them? So we should all learn to shoot well without luxuries like a bench, chair, and bipods.
That said, I do have two Harris bipods, they get used when I zero in new scopes.
From the various SWAT and SEAL trainers I've had the opportunity to take classes, none encourages the use of bipods, they in fact discourages it and will not let us use them if anyone was foolish enough to bring them.
But YMMV
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
QUIB,

Good pic, where was it taken and what unit is that?  Or............if you told me you'd only have to kill me.

... yeah, I was in Sang-Bang, Gang-Gong, Special-Unit-Aiborne Batallion,...my name was
Agent Orange, yeah Agent Orange!"

Actually, I have no info on this pic. I found it on the Army web site and saved it because the guy was using an EOTech and I wanted to set up my M4gery in a similar way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
QUIB,

IIRC that was a pic that came from a series on the first Stryker deployments in Iraq.  The gear was all the highend stuff, hence the Eotech, RAS, bipod, etc.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
QUIB,
Good pic, where was it taken and what unit is that? Or............if you told me you'd only have to kill me."

Quoted: "................ yeah, I was in Sang-Bang, Gang-Gong, Special-Unit-Aiborne Batallion,...my name was Agent Orange, yeah Agent Orange!"

Quoted:  "IIRC that was a pic that came from a series on the first Stryker deployments in Iraq. The gear was all the highend stuff, hence the Eotech, RAS, bipod, etc."

Thanks for the info.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top