Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 10:38:01 AM EDT
Ok, I'm trying to sort these rail dealies out.  Will this fit over any barrel?  Seems like a winner with no gunsmithing required, freefloat, and solid platform for a forward grip.  Any disadvantages to this over a competing system?  Thinking of trying to score a LE6721 16" heavy barrel (I think), and slapping one of these on her (that or a 16.1" M4 upper).  Any advice would be appreciated!

GoGo

Poll added- any reasons for either setup, or another route would be great!  BTW- A lot of places seem to be out of the RAS II, is this going to be hard to find?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You should not have any problems with the RAS II and a heavy barrel.  Yeah, the RAS II is a winner.  With an Aimpoint, it is King Shit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I still like and use the RAS and the RAS II.  They get over looked a little because of all of the new rail systems.  The only real disadvantages I see is that the RAS II weighs a few ounces more than some of the newer systems and the “hump” / bridge can get in the way.  But, if you use an Aimpoint or an ACOG that’s not even an issue.  The reasons you have already listed along with the price ($275 RAS II) make it a very good system and yes, it will fit on a HBAR.  

Ray  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I LOVE my RAS II. It is 100% rock solid! At $275, you can't beat the SSS. What optics will you be using with it. I recommend the Aimpoint ML2.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I LOVE my RAS II. It is 100% rock solid! At $275, you can't beat the SSS. What optics will you be using with it.

+1
I love my RAS II SSS. I have it on my Post Ban Bushy M4.  Mine is wearing a ACOG TAO1 NSN.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Other - please specify.

6921 14.5" M4 1:7

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
it really doesn't matter... if your mostly going to be shooting 55gr ammo... get the 1x9... you'll be able to shoot 68gr... and that stuff is plently good... :-)...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
RAS II and Aimpoint is great.  There are better choices if you plan to use an Eotech though. that Aimpoint hump on the RAS II can get in the way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The optic I plan on using for now will be an ACOG, but not in stone- I'm used to iron sights but figured I'd try something new.

GoGo
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]

+1 for RAS2... Mine is on a BM Superlight upper with a compact ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#10]
go with a superlite barrel!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
go with a superlite barrel!

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]
OTHER: RRA w/ Bushmaster 14.5 1:7 barrel & Phantom 5C1.  Feels great to be able to post this pic of my new rifle - built using products entirely from AR15.com vendors.

Chris at Eagle FireArms did an excellent job on the overall build.

RRA Flattop  upper w/ BM 14.5 1:7 barrel & Phantom 5C1
RRA lower w/ Sierra Precision grip
RAS II (SSS)
Aimpoint w/ ARMS mount and #40 BUIS
Vltor Clubfoot Basic combo
Surefire 9v weapons light

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#13]
How did you specify the end cap on the surefire.  I looked on their site and could not figure out the difference between the two 9x lights there, nor did it seem to be clear about how to specify the end cap option selection process.  NICE RIFLE!

BTW- very nice as well Spooge, but I can't have the 14.5" barrel.

GoGo
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How did you specify the end cap on the surefire.  I looked on their site and could not figure out the difference between the two 9x lights there, nor did it seem to be clear about how to specify the end cap option selection process.  NICE RIFLE!

GoGo

Why not?  If you permanently attatch a Vortex or Phantom, you are over the 16" NFA requirement.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Other - please specify.

6921 14.5" M4 1:7

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=29590

SBR?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GoGo

Why not?  If you permanently attatch a Vortex or Phantom, you are over the 16" NFA requirement.

Is it a phantom or A2?  Looks like an A2 to me.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How did you specify the end cap on the surefire.  I looked on their site and could not figure out the difference between the two 9x lights there, nor did it seem to be clear about how to specify the end cap option selection process.

You went to the SureFire Weaponlights web page and couldn't figure out which was which?  CLICK HERE!

PM me if you still can't figure it out.

-Randy
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

GoGo

See BrightFlashlights on this board (EE).  He can hook you up since he put the one you see together.  Don't really understand the "no 14.5 inch barrel" statement.  Mine legally comes to just over 16 inches with the Phantom.  Remember, the length of the barrel includes any muzzle device like a FS or brake.  And thanks for the complement - waited 6 months to put this thing together.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]
love the RAS II and superlite, light quick handling

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a 11.5" !!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You should not have any problems with the RAS II and a heavy barrel.  Yeah, the RAS II is a winner.  With an Aimpoint, it is King Shit.

This is along the lines of my next build, as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#22]
This is my M4 style carbine currently. It was originally a Bushmaster 14.5 incher with an AK break but it's since had a fake and now real collapsible stock put on it and a new 16.1" LMT M4 barrel.  I really like the RAS II. It's rock solid. Don't let the picture fool you about that bottom panel. It's misshaped for some reason and makes it look like it droops slightly. I'm going to be throwing an Aimpoint  on it with a LaRue low profile mount here in a few weeks when I have the cash, along with a rail mounted side sling adapter and it will be COMPLETE... until I decide it's time to throw a Surefire light on it at least.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top