Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 3:22:24 PM EDT
Ok, will recontouring (thinning) a barrel under the handguards change the harmonics of a barrel sufficiently for the accuracy to suffer???  I mean, as long as you dont get to carried away and turn it into a toothpick, it should be gtg right?

i have an ER Shaw SS HEAVY barrel, and it is significantly fatter under the handguards than it is toward the muzzle.  When I ordered it, i had no idea how HEAVY it would actually BE!!!!  Its pretty damn heavy.

So are there any concerns with having the fatter part under the handguards turned down to a more normal diameter??  Loss of accuracy???
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
im getting conflicting signals here bigbore...

You said you have contoured Kriegers and other match barrels with no ill effect, yet i should NOT get it done???

confusion is setting in.  I have a custom finish on the muzzle end of the barrel i have now, so i kinda want to keep it.  I COULD of course recreate this finish on a new barrel, but id rather not deal with it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Gotcha!!!

i think.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, will recontouring (thinning) a barrel under the handguards change the harmonics of a barrel sufficiently for the accuracy to suffer???  I mean, as long as you dont get to carried away and turn it into a toothpick, it should be gtg right?

i have an ER Shaw SS HEAVY barrel, and it is significantly fatter under the handguards than it is toward the muzzle.  When I ordered it, i had no idea how HEAVY it would actually BE!!!!  Its pretty damn heavy.

So are there any concerns with having the fatter part under the handguards turned down to a more normal diameter??  Loss of accuracy???

The point here is that it could degrade accuracy. You want it turned down with an accuracy guarantee, you will need a crystal ball. Fluting could be done under the guards but gain [loss] would not be great. If the barrel shoots, dont change a thing. If it doesnt, it aint gonna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top