Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 4:02:31 PM EDT
I was out shooting again today, and I noticed I have what seems to be an accuracy problem.  I could not hit clay pigeons at 100 yards for shit.  I could hit a homeade target that is about the size of a human torso at the same distance, but I could not drop the pigeons without using an obscene number of rounds.  Mind you, my eyes are bad, but I wear glasses for that.  I was firing from the prone position.  The gun is a Rock River Arms carbine with 16" non-free floating super lightweight 1/9 twist Bushmaster barrel with stock RRA trigger.  Ammo used was real M193.  The gun sports an ARMS #40L with a 25 meter dope (I'm going to put a 50 meter dope on it as soon as I get an LMT rear).  One slight problem may be that when I zeroed the rifle (prone, using nothing but my elbows for support), I was using Winchester White Box purchased from Wally World, but I wouldn't think that it'd throw my aim that much at only 100 yards, especially not so bad that I wouldnt be able to quickly adjust.  My barrel does heat up rather quickly, but could the heat throw my shots that much?  Am I just expecting too much from my rifle, or am I not doing my part?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Find some ammo that your bbl (and yourself) likes.

2. Zero your sights @50 yards with ^that^ ammo, and stick with it. (You'd be surprised in the POI shift between different ammo, especialy between domestic and military. If you don't believe me test it yourself.)

3. Trigger control, sight picture and uniform preasure on the bbl should take care of the rest of it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Neither you, your rifle, nor your zero are doing their part.

If you zero at 25 yards you'll be over 6" high at 100 yards.  What's a clay pigeon, 4"?  If you were even slightly high at 15 yards the shot will be even higher at 100 yards.

Try IBSZ.  You'll be within a clay pigeon at all ranges out to 220 meters.  We'll your group center will be.  If you can hold good groups you'll knock them all the time.

-- Chuck

What Chuck said and I'll add that yes different ammo and even different lot numbers of the same exact ammo can throw your sights off by quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
First thing you need to do is shoot at some paper at 100. Then you'll at least know if you have an accuracy problem or a zero problem.

The other guys gave you some good advice, too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tiger Valley Sniper Course said to zero in at 100yds with scope set on maximum magnification.  

Using irons.  ARMS #40L and forged FSB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top