Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 11:30:35 AM EDT
Does anyone make a railed forearm that attaches to the flat top receiver as well as the front receiver ring?

I think LMT's does this, but I think you need a completely new receiver to go with the rail, or possibly a completely new upper????  They also cost $1300 for the upper and all I want is a rail.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone make a railed forearm that attaches to the flat top receiver as well as the front receiver ring?

I think LMT's does this, but I think you need a completely new receiver to go with the rail, or possibly a completely new upper????  They also cost $1300 for the upper and all I want is a rail.

The LMT is one unit.  The rails and the receiver are machined together from one piece of aluminum.  

The SIR attaches to the recevier rail, however, it raises the entire height of your mounting platform.  The RAS II uses a railed hump to attache to the recevier and, obviously, has a hump between the recevier and the main body of the forend..  The Predator also mounts to the entire receiver rail and raises the platform.  And I believe one other company(Abrams?) is also making somehting similar to the SIR and the Predator.  Perhaps one of those will suit your needs.  

There is no other way to do it unless you have a piece that goes over the recevier eihter completely or in part.  Otherwise it has to be machined from one single piece of metal like the LMT (and suposedly the new Colts).
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Who makes the SIR?  Who makes each of those options?  How do I find/research info on them?  Thanks in advance.

P.S - Not meaning to be picky but I was thinking of a rail to be of single height off the receiver and out onto the forearm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Who makes the SIR?  Who makes each of those options?  How do I find/research info on them?  Thanks in advance.

ARMS makes the SIR.

POF makes the Predator.

Knight's makes the RAS II.

The Abrams unit is called the CAS-V.

Do a search for them here on the boards and you will find a ton of info.  At the top of this section is also a tacked thread about railed forends.  Check that out too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 How do I find/research info on them?  .

Did you see the huge thread tacked at the top of this forum?

Also the search feature should come up with some good recent threads.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Forest,

Thanks for the tip on that thread.  Unfortunately, that thread should be retitled, "The FF RAS WEIGHTS", thread.  It has little to no other information other than five long pages with little info other than weights - no photos, no nothing.  Still, it was informative.

I am asking about configuration not weight.  I did a search on "RAS" and such and came up with a lot of info.  

Here's the deal: if I put on a FF RAS, which front sights are compatible with the LMT rear sight I have?  Some rails are bi-level (rail not even with receiver rail), others are single level (rail is flush with receiver rail).  So many differences, it reminds me of the plumbing parts industry.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Mike, I agree.

I'm trying to find out what mounting method each rail uses.  I would like to be able to mount one without removing my FSB.  Finding out which ones do and which ones don't is proving difficult!  There are so many units to choose from now it's hard to decide.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
That's funny because I read that same thread and learned the following about most of the rail systems:
# of Rails,
Does the rail FF?  Does it come with Covers?  Is it vented?

Installation Requirements

and the top rail configuration.

Yes weight is covered and discussed (because often that is information that is not available).

Ricker's chart is pretty comprehensive.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Finding out which ones do and which ones don't is proving difficult!  There are so many units to choose from now it's hard to decide.

Go down the chart - any entry with a blank field or 'Cut/Remove Delta Ring' doesn't require removal of the FSB.

For my $$ I found the Troy MRF was the best option if you don't want to remove the FSB.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's the deal: if I put on a FF RAS, which front sights are compatible with the LMT rear sight I have?  Some rails are bileve (rail not even with receiver rail), others are single level (rail is flush with receiver rail).  So many differences, it reminds me of the plumbing parts industry.
Thanks.

The KAC rail mounted front folding sight or the Troy rail mounted front folding sight will mount on a Knight's FF RAS and work with the receiver munted rear sight.  Yankee Hill also makes a rail mounted front folding sight that will work the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top