Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 6:22:10 PM EDT
Returning to the AR field after many years and I am looking for a shooter capable of at least 1/2 MOA. After looking around I basically have narrowed my choices down between the above models with the 20" SS bbl. Prices are about the same, $739 for the Oly and $775 for the Bushmaster. However, I seem to remember from my past years in collecting and building AR's that Oly had some problems with soft internal parts. Has this been rectified? In addition, are both capable of handling hi capacity USGI M16 mags? Would appreciate any input from owners of either models (just do not wish to start another discussion on the merits of Oly products - been covered enough I believe).This weapon is being purchased for tactical purposes and so I am eliciting specific info on these models and not on the companies, per se.

Other recommendations besides these models welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin    
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
While on the subject of the 20" SS BBL, is there a good compensator available for this larger diameter barrel? In addition, any product recommendations for darkening the SS? I seem to remember a product for blueing stainless steel, but have not seen it advertised in years.

Kevin  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like no one here has owned either model to make a comment. Could still use advice on staining the stainless barrel a darker color, however. Will be using this weapon in a war zone (US-Mexican border) and do not need shiny parts, in this case the barrel.

Kevin  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Contact Oly.  I believe you can get the stainless barrel with a black oxide finish.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, I'll try the Oly PCR 8 and report back on accuracy (after I break the barrel in) among other things. I like the option of treating the stainless barrel with the "Black-Tech" coating as well as the 1:8 twist option. Plus I have never owned a Oly AR-15 (just hope it will be a positive experience. The only one I recall shooting was a pre-ban carbine converted to full auto - not the most reliable weapon on the old firing line.). The similar Bushmaster rifle will also still be purchased - nothing like a side by side comparison (especially with women, one on my left and one on my right, lol).

Kevin

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]
As for the Bushmaster Varminter Special, why not just the Varminter (fluted 4150 moly steel). I have heard that the plain Varminter (not the special) is built to the same specs as their DCM rifles. I have the plain Varminter and gunblast.com did an excellent writeup on it. Apparently, it is one of the most accurate rifles out there....I love mine!

www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster_Varminter.htm
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Oly works good. Their old stuff may not be to spec, but now they are CNC and it works well. They are also some of the most accurate rifles out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top