Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 9:57:45 AM EDT
I just completed building up a post ban 16" pseudo-M4orgery from a parts kit direct from Olympic, on a postban Olympic lower.  I also have a factory Bushmaster A2, and looking at the two, the differences are substantial.  The Oly parts are all much rougher, not finished as well, ther barrel is chrome-moly with what looks almost like a sprayed on finish which is already chipped, and the A3 upper looks almost purple next to the black lower (you would think that an upper and lower from the same co. would match?)  The functionality seems ok.  I haven't got it to the range yet, but it feeds and extracts blanks ok.  However when I can, the only range near me doesn't allow more then one round in a mag at a time (nice) so rapid fire is out...

I guess my concern is that it just doesn't have the smoothness and finish of my BM, and I wonder if that reflects on function and reliability.

I am really looking for opinions/past experiences with Oly parts.  Not that I am going to be taking this weapon into combat, but if (God forbid) I ever have to reach for it in a stress situation, I want it to function...  Right?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
ther barrel is chrome-moly with what looks almost like a sprayed on finish which is already chipped,
View Quote

This is probably a stainless steel barrel with a teflon coating. Oly SS barrels have a very good reputation.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
No, it's definitly a CrMo barrel, unless they gave me a free upgrade!  They were running a $399 kit special, so I doubt it.  The finish looks almost like the powercoat on the headers on my car...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I got 2 kits from them about 2 months ago when that 16" kit went on sale for $399.00.  I had a Bushmaster lower with it and the color matched.  The barrels are like pakerized that are sandblasted.  The upper receiver has some machine marks like dents on both sides.  Check your rifling too.  One of my barrels rifling is smooth and the other is so rough like rust ate it.  It makes me feel bad everytime Iclean it and peep into the barrel seeing all those rough rifling.  I called Oly about it and they said that it won't affect the accuracy.  It's still accurate but I just wished it was as smooth as the other Oly barrel that I got.  I just don't want to make a big deal about it to Oly to replace it  so I just don't peep at the barrel when I clean it. When I first got this kit, I returned the noncollapsible stock and the handguard because of the quality.  It was really rough.  They sent me a A2 stock and a new handguard.that has good quality and I was happy with it.  I guess it's just luck when you get parts from Oly. I just don't want to complain about the barrel anymore because they told me that if I'm that picky about everything in my rifle,  I should just buy one at the store and never buy a kit from them.  They told me this on the phone when I talk to them to have my non collapsible stock and handguard replaced.  I also have a Colt and Bushmaster 20" A2.  The finish is better than the Olys.  But as far as reliability, my Oly uppers shoots accurately and very reliable.  Shot them about 1,200 rounds each and it never failed me. No jams at all.  I would definitely rely on this Oly rifles with my life.  This is just my personal experience with my Oly kit. I know that they have been in the market for a very long time and I read a lot of good things about them.  Their customer service is great and they would fix your problem right away. As long as my rifle shoots accurately, I don't care how the rifling looks. No big deal.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey mchad, I have been considering buying one of those Oly kits. I was just wondering how long it took you to recieve the kit after you ordered it. It seems to be a good price for the kit. Let us know how it functions and how accurate it is after you shoot it some.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
556 man...  Thanks for the info.  I'm glad to hear about the operational reliability and accuracy.  I'm looking forward to some range time.  The barrel looks good internally, but as you described, the proof is in the shooting...

lonewolf51:  I paid an extra $15 on top of regular shipping for two day ups and they got it out the same day, so I have to say that the service was excellent.  Definitly a good price, assuming you end up with a good shooter.  Again, if I was going into battle, I would grab my Bushmaster A2, but I was looking for an inexpensive shooter.

Your mileage may vary...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#6]
mchad, what are the stampings on your barrel. Don't say ytour sure it is chromemoly until we know what you have.

If it is a chromemoly M4 barrel, you have a rare one from Oly. Their M4 barrels are atandard in 416 SS with a black-oxcide finish. This finish is not like parkerization. Parkerization is the surface of the metal being changed, a black-oxide coatinf is exactly that, a coating. It goes on top of the SS, and has some reputation of being less durable. I doubt it would ever "chip" though as it is not that hard of a coating. The trouble is that because it is on SS, it sometimes does not "take" very well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#7]
mchad, what are the stampings on your barrel. Don't say ytour sure it is chromemoly until we know what you have.

If it is a chromemoly M4 barrel, you have a rare one from Oly. Their M4 barrels are atandard in 416 SS with a black-oxcide finish. This finish is not like parkerization. Parkerization is the surface of the metal being changed, a black-oxide coatinf is exactly that, a coating. It goes on top of the SS, and has some reputation of being less durable. I doubt it would ever "chip" though as it is not that hard of a coating. The trouble is that because it is on SS, it sometimes does not "take" very well.

Anyway, see what the stampings on the barrel are and get back to us.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Zenif,

The barrel has no stampings on it whatsoever, either in front of the sight (as with my BM, and other mil barrels i've seen) nor anywhere under the handguards...  It's not sn M4 barrel (hence the "pseudo" in my original post) it's simply a 16" hbar...  The finish isn't black, it's a sandblasted rough grey finish.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's the kit on special for $399.00, the one I got was CM with no fluting not stainless. It was a heavy barrel. I saw on their site that you would have to pay extra for stainless barrels.   On one of my front sight tower, there's 3 spots as big as a #6 shot pellet looking like it's chipped.  It's powdery white in color and it shows even when you oil it.  Took a black marker to touch it up. Next time I clean it I'll try to cold blue it and see how that covers it up. Oh yeah!  Almost forgot.  The barrel has a "556" stamping on it in front of the front sight tower.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't speak for the particular kit you bought, but I bought an Oly standard A2 rifle kit, with no upgrades for $479 about 6 months ago.  The upper matches perfectly with my Mega lower, color wise and fit. The anodizing on the knobs of my rear sights is purple, and the handguard is kind of cheap looking with some slop, but it shoots better than I can see at 100yds., with Federal match ammo (iron sights).  For $600 including shipping and ffl fees, I got a got a mean looking rifle that I love to fondle and shoots better than I can see.  For my purposes (precision plinking, target, and hunting), I feel that I got exactly what I wanted for $200 less than the comparable BM option.  I love it.  If that kit shoots to your expectation, I would say you're doing alright.  I have no regrets about my decision to go with Oly, and I will buy the PCR-1 upper to go with it as soon as I can afford it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, you're right.  I'll know when I shoot it...  I was really looking for some comments/opinions, as the kit is really a good deal and I both have another stripped Oly lower and my friend was looking for a kit, so before I recommend it...  I'm stuck without the ability to test until the weekend of the 3rd, as my only nearby range is closed till then...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I have some of the Oly kits from four or five years ago. The issue I had with them is that the chambers were under sized but a couple of minutes with a Clymer reamer and they were all better.

I don't give a of a care what color or what the finish is of a working weapon as long as it functions 100% of the time it's "green" in my book. The only way to insure your weapon is a go-to one is to shoot the hell out of it and then shoot it some more.

I don't feel "good" about a rifle if I can't run a string of 500 rounds though the thing perfectly. The first 50 or 100 rounds are "free" as things are working themselves in and I'm still learning the care and feeding of the weapon.

Bushmasters are famous for being "purple" in bright sunlight but that doesn't bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm..some of my KAC RAS are turning purple too[:\]  But I'm with Paul, who cares about the color, if you don't like it you'll just have another reason to camo it [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top