Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 5:08:51 AM EDT
I'm thinking about putting one on a 16" gun. I don't like aluminum tubes because they get too hot, the 4 rail AL tubes are expensive and the price for the plastic rail covers is obscene given what they are. I like the diameter and look of the NM handguard and the price is reasonable and I'm assuming the fiberglass won't transmit the heat like the aluminum tubes.

My questions are: Is there any reason I would not want one? Durability? Other?

Are they good, bad, ugly, pretty, gay. cool?

FWIW, I may end up putting on a single, short rail for attaching a light but I don't plan on puttin any other accessories on the gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#1]
stipilot,

I had checked into one of these a while back.  It was well regarded, is indexable and comes with a swivel / bipod stud already installed.  The several things that prevented me from purchasing one were: (1)The 16" version is a mid-length and would require a low profile gas block, as the tube covers the barrel gas port area. You would lose the standard front sight location.  (2) The concensus is that they are a bit heavier than alumunum versions (but don't get hot to the touch like aluminum).

Harry
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
why not get the carbon with the short rails already on it avail from armalite?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
why not get the carbon with the short rails already on it avail from armalite?
View Quote

I think we determined in another thread that those are fiberglass and aluminum.  They appear to be smaller in diameter than the NM HG, and according to someone who bought one, he said it was lighter than the aluminum HG it replaced.

I'm looking into those myself.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]
stormbringer66,Onslaught,

Are you guys talking about the Armalite Fiber Quad Handguard? The Armalite website implies that it's a complete unit but I've seen ads that seem to imply it's just the rail set which doesn't make sense if Armalte is selling the thing in 3 lengths. I'll try to contact Armalite for details this week and report what I find out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you guys talking about the Armalite Fiber Quad Handguard? The Armalite website implies that it's a complete unit but I've seen ads that seem to imply it's just the rail set which doesn't make sense if Armalte is selling the thing in 3 lengths.
View Quote

Yes, that's the one.  

The FFT with the 4 rails on the muzzle end is a complete 1 piece unit.  What you're possibly referring to from the ad is the "SPR" rail that attaches to the flat-top and the top rail on the tube, which is sold seperately.

If you just want a tube, and 4 short rails, then I think the Fiber Quad Rail deserves a look.  

Too bad the Armalite SPR rail version uses thumb screws.  When you're attaching a big honking rail like that for a precision optic, you're not going to be taking it on and off nearly enough to justify the extra width and snag potential of thumb screws.  ARMS has it right in that regard.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top