Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 10:10:26 AM EDT
I hope I don't get flamed, but since I guess at least some members here bought the reproduction Crane stocks GreenO offers, maybe they could give us a honest review.
Lets face it- they are available and do have some appeal (looks, integrated buttplate). Any drop& destruction tests would be appreciated too!  

Thanks

Cato
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I was so happy with it I got another one from Green0.  The second one doesn't have the shiny surface, I used Aluma-Hyde from Brownell's to refinish the first one.  I replaced the release screw and nut with some left over RRA and Bushy telestock, as did Kisara, the one that came with the reproduction model isn't as robust, but boy is it a bitch to drift out the steel roll pins on the weapons grade stocks.  Kisara said while removing the screw that came with the reproduction model it got bent, well that's something he and I don't have to worry about anymore [:)]
It's tighter than my Colt ribbed style stock, and longer.  With the supplied 5 position Vltor tube it's great, I finally can get a good cheekweld with my TA01NSN and TA31 without my face touching the buffer tube, while the lengh of pull is still comfortable.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/p9104dc4f88f06a0991abe451a9ea4564/fa8e726d.jpg[/img]
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/p5dab49caf811a219089a13b0248cd94f/fa8e727c.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I was going to replace all the metal hardware on them untill I realized that the hardware costs $30-$40 from SAWLESALES.  That is terrible for just a threaded dowel, nut and roll pin. a Good price sounds like $5 to me.

I have removed a set of hardware though (on a stock that was roll pinned in an improper place, allowing the latch to rattle a little like original Cranes), without bending the existing hardware, I just gripped the lock nut in a vise while I nocked out the pin with a punch.

I haven't found a supplier for hardware and removing it is a bit of a pain in the ass so I'm not looking to replace it either (both mine have standard hardware).

When I got my first one I beat the hell out of it on the workbench (just wacking the bench like a hammer, and it didn't break, dent or scratch so I smiled and put it on my rifle) That's destructive enough for me (the powder coating may scratch with abuse like this though, it is just a fine powder applied to the molds prior to molding, so the powder is only on the surface, bonded to the plastic, once it is scratched or worn through, it's slightly shiny nylon 66 again.

[b]Yeah and my genuine Crane stock is looking for a new "wealthier home". $500 OBO for that.[/b]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The power coat sure is nice, but like Greenie said it will rub off.  I put mine in a vice while trying to punch in the son of a bitch steel roll pin and in the process scratched it up good.  Another 2 coats of Aluma-Hyde did the trick [:d]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't just replace the little roll pin, I replaced the whole latch assembly.  The toy pin was such a P.O.S. that it came out in only two light taps with a hammer/punch.  And it BENT!

The replacement latch parts were cannibalized from a ribbed M4 style stock, which in contrast took several hard whacks with the hammer before the roll pin even budged.  And that pin finally came out- without a scratch.  Big difference in quality between the metal genuine firearms parts and fake toy crap.  Mine came from Green0 with a Vltor tube.

I used ultra flat black from Krylon's camo
series (Wal-Mart...)

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/ImNotPaying500bucks4aFkingCrane.jpg[/img]
This is a quick photo on my toy gun for you to see how the project came out.  If you remember that "New Toy" thread, you'll notice the new Dieter sling and CQD plate that replaced the CQB Solutions/KAC plate combo I had (more goodies from [url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url] ).  

I'm saving the fake crane for a future SPR build in awhile, but think the 58MOD build will come first.  I'll take better outdoor pics soon; the finish really came out great.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello guys,

Couldn't help but pitch in my 2 cents on this issue. (since the topic hasn't been flamed so far)[flame]

There are altogether 4 Crane stock "replica" in the airsoft market: From Japan: ANGS, from Hong Kong: Apex, BoomArms, Zenith. Apparently, the ones you guys got are from Zenith. (Judging by the tail detail of the cheek weld around the batteries tube compartment as far as I can tell)

ANGS' stock was the first "Crane replica" which appeared eariler this year in a Japanese convention "BlackHole 2003". It is still in pre-order status selling for 15,800 yen(us$146). Couldn't tell how it is built but the prototype shown during the convention was nothing worth looking into for "real steel application".

Then came BoomArms' "Tactical Match". Been in pre-order status until now as well. Don't know when the product is avaliable but size wise, it will be around 5mm longer than the real Crane as making room for AEG's rechargable batteries.

Zenith's "Special Forces Crane Stock" came to the market and was avaliable on the shelves of local Hong Kong shops in early October. Selling price on-line is US$65 . It is the least expensive "Crane replica" to date. Dimension wise, it is the closest to the real thing. Meterial wise, I couldn't say I share the same satifaction as Green0 has experienced. At least all airsofter I know who used the stock gave thumbs down to its durability. Maybe the stocks sold in Hong Kong is a lesser quality?

And lastly Apex. Their "Airsoft Enhanced Battery Stock " was annonced towards the end of Sept. And is avaliable mainly online in Oct. ABS plastic version, HKD1,250 (USD 160) with 1700mAH rechargable batteries. Nylon version with same batterirs USD 236 (Can't say they have established the best sales channel both on-line and physical outlets though)

To me, Apex stock is the best among all replica. In terms of dimensions, it is 3mm longer than the real Crane (result of housing AEG rechargable batteries). The rubber pad is entirely detachable (try remove the rubber pad from Zenith's stock without breaking the hooks...)and finish quality of both ABS and Nylon (70% fiber glass) version is simply beautiful. I've done an AB comparasion between the real Crane and Apex stock (Nylon version), I must say the replica is just "too darn pretty": The real Crane stock is a functional product, Apex is a well "polished" merchandise. I would not be surprised if it is as durable as Crane's stock in "real steel" usage.

But what do I know about real steel? After all, these replica are intended for airsoft anyway.

One shot one kill
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I put the second one in a vice, tightened it and hammaered the crap out of it for about 100 times in an attempt to punch the real roll pin into the real nut.  The assembly came out of a Bushy stock, it was equally painful to remove, like Kisara said, the toy version took 2 light hammer blows and it came right out.  The toy verion's release assembly long screw, nut, and pin are the weakest part that probably won't last very long, but the stock itself endured my botched gunsmithing.  I'll break down my own door later today to see how it stands up in butt strokes [BD]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top