Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 4:30:26 PM EDT
I guess it's just a glorified varmin rifle, the only SPR components are the PRI fore end and front sight.  An A2 suppressor instead of the Ops muzzle brake and collar, an US Optics SN3 instead of a Leupold, no special barrel, no gas buster.  But I like it as it is, I'll get a long SPR rail and so I can put a backup rear sight on it later
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
looks good. who says you have to be like everyone else?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I guess it's just a glorified varmin rifle, the only SPR components are the PRI fore end and front sight.
View Quote

Its a very fine looking [b]DPR[/b]  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good!! dont worry The main thing is your happy with your rifle, which looks kick ass BTW!!!
    FREE
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Aw shucks [:d]
Free's SPR finally pushed me over the edge, I have two M5 RAS on two rifles, thought I'd have some variety.  Also have the SN3 with no rifle to use it with, after seeing Free's I had to join the SPR folks [:)]
[img]home.earthlink.net/~whitman/CLOSEUP.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice Duffy. I love that forend.

You didn't happen to get a wieght of the handguard before you installed it? [:)]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The PRI forend is quite heavy, around the 20oz. mark.

I'll weigh one when I get home to confirm.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#7]
How hard is it to install one of these PRI forends, any special tools to use?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Indeed, though I already know it's heavier than KAC and Danial Defense FF handguards from the info gathered on ar15.com, when I got it it was still somewhat a surprise.  Can't speak about Daniel Defense, but KAC products come with a succinct installation manual that's helpful, the PRI doesn't.  I installed (with Kisara's help) the KAC MRE RAS so it was the same with the PRI, still it's been a while, I installed the barrel nut without the handguard retaining ring and had to remove it and reinstall [bd]
All you need is a vice, an armorer's wrench, a torque wrench, hammer, and drift punch (to remove the front sight tower).
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Love the PRI front BUIS, love the forend, using an SN3 is great cause it's cool to be different.  If it shoots well, who gives a flip about a standard barrel? Mikey Likey! [+]:D]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks great, all business.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Would you kind folks recommend an ARMS SPR full length rail, or do you think the #36 I have does the job?  I'm not planning on mounting anything on top of the handguard, but the use of #36 precludes the mounting of a BUIS for me.  The occular lens is so big and the Posa-slide lock mount places the scope rather low.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a USO SN-3 and a SN-4 scope that I play with on my AR rifles. I also have an upper with a PRI handguard and a full ength ARMS SPR rail. Based on what I see concerning your SN-3 scope and the height of the mount, it will be very difficult to mount a SN-3 with the SPR rail. The integral fold down rear sight of the SPR rail will be in the way of the scope. You will have to mount the scope so far forward that it not really be usable. No flip up sight will cowitness with the SN-3. The long SPR rail is nice, but I don't see it working at all with that SN-3 and that USO scope mount. That USO mount is more of a quick relaese type mount allowing you to remove or put on the scope easily. I have that same mount for my SN-4. Switching to standard scope rings would allow more room under the scope for a GGG MAD rear sight. That is the only fold down rear sight flat enough to fit under the USO scope with the proper height rings..
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Robe, I had originally bought a #38, as you said the BUIS would force the mounting of the scope too far forward.  I thought the full length SPR rail has the rear portion blanked out so I could put a BUIS directly on the receiver?  It's been a while since I saw a pic, maybe I was thinking of the SIR rails [:\]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Get the ARMS Rail, to complete the look.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#16]
That really looks good!  I'm working on another project now, but I think my next-next project (I'm a foward thinker! ) might go the MSTN/SPR route with an Magpul stock.  I really like the "natural" carbon fiber look.  Its either that or a simple dime-a-dozen SIR carbine build...  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]
What are you working on now Kisara? [:)]  I'm out of lowers and uppers and can't think of a single thing I'd like to do for a next AR project, so I'm working on an HK21 [:d]
I got the PRI front sight and fore end, ARMS rail and sling from Wes, also took his advice and got an SPR pistol grip.  I still think it looks funky but it's a vast improvement over the A2.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Try this guys, a midlength set up, and make it really different! [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top