Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:58:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Randall007] [#1]
Originally Posted By Statistician:
Originally Posted By JMiller613:
Hello

I have a Bushmaster E2S ORC and I'm trying to figure out which quad rail to get.

I want something that will cover the gas block and hopefully wont require any special parts or modifications to my rifle.

Any recommendations?  

Do all FF rails require a special threaded barrel nut?

Is it possible to just get a mid length 2 piece drop in rail?

Thanks

This isn't mid length, but it is a drop in FF from Troy. The Charlie Rail is a quad rail, but is a lot heavier than the gutted Delta Rail linked below.

http://oi33.tinypic.com/2zqa3oi.jpg

Troy Delta Rail

I ordered a Delta rail from Troy, however it is on B/O. Anyone know who has them in stock? I am anxious to see just how well this is going to work out. Looks good from everything I have seen. Any body else have one to comment on? Thanks. Woo Hoo, first postage.

Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a LaRue Tactical 11" Gooseneck rail for sale, where should I list this?
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Syntribos:
I have a LaRue Tactical 11" Gooseneck rail for sale, where should I list this?
View Quote

In the EE under AR 15 Parts-Used-Upper Reciver
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Wish it had noveske keymod/geissele weight, and urx for comparison. Cant... decide....
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iram] [#5]
I was looking at weights on the Daniel Defense website and noticed that their lightest rail is the Omega X (to my great surprise). Is that simple because the Omega X retains the delta ring assembly (which adds weight) while the others use a proprietary barrel nut that's included in the weight numbers?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The Omega X uses a proprietary barrel nut (and does not retain the delta ring).  The Omega uses the standard barrel nut and retains the delta ring (it requires no modification - just attach to the barrel nut and tighten the bolts and screws).  On the midlength version, the Omega X weighs 11.7 oz comparison to 9.5 oz for the Omega.  I do not know if the difference is just the due to the proprietary barrel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
so i have a situation.
i changed my sig m400 enhanced to a samson ff handguard.
i noticed the other day my front sight is wayyyy off center to the left and the only way to get it on target is to move the rear peep all the way over to the left also.
i suspect this was caused by over tightening the two screws that clamp the handguard on to the barrel nut adapter.
the new midwest gen 3 handguard has a spacer included to eliminate this issue

because of this issue im looking for a rail with a more solid/robust attachment method
any opinions?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#8]
Mlok or key mod and why
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
Mlok or key mod and why
View Quote

I'd like to know this too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Completely up to you. There's no right or wrong answer, just preference regarding your price range / aesthetics / width / install / etc.

I just put a key mod 15" BCM KMR ALPHA on my 16" M400. I had it installed professionally and its amazing. You can do it yourself, but I don't like to risk FSP removal, new BCM low pro gas block install and worrying about the rail install.

I'm never going back to quad rails! I dig the keymod system, haven't tried mlok. But the rail is 1.3-1.5 wide, lighter than my DD 7" quad.

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Posting this here for lack of a better place.

Picked up a Brugger and Thomet rail system in the EE a while back.  TRH-M4, part BT-21328

While well made (Swiss), they were quickly priced out of the U.S. market and very few units ever made it to the states.  They are a real novelty.  They were $400+ back in the day, and I've seen "out of stock" pages on Euro websites with retail at €430.

They've been out of production so long, B&T doesn't even have them on the page anymore.

It is a struggle just to find pictures of them on a gun.

I put them on my 9mm parts gun.

They install just like a KAC RAS, with the little arm that swings in under the barrel nut and then gets tightened down.

They feel solid, are technically lighter than Larue, and the machining is excellent.  The edges are even a bit rounded, and nothing feels sharp.

However, they are, as I said, a novelty.  Even if they were available commercially, there are a variety of equally good or better options for a LOT less money than these cost.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know the weight of the BD 7" quad rail, BD 9" quad rail, and BD 9" smooth rail?  Weight of just the rail, without mounting kit hardware, would be ideal.  These are the rails sold here, on the arfcom site, but I've not gotten a response from the sales email address.

I currently have the 12" BD quad rail.  That rail alone is 16 oz, and I'm looking for something lighter, but it would be nice to use the same mounting hardware so I could easily swap out the rail.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably a stupid question, but: are all free float rails... equally free floated? I know they differ in length, material, rigidity, and weight. I want to shoot an AR with a scope mounted entirely on the receiver with a bipod mounted to the FF rail. No lasers, no sight on the handguard, no plan to do so. I’m asking if I am equally well served for that particular purpose with for example an old Daniel Defense Omega or the newest operator-issued Geiselle FF rail.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: racer765] [#14]
I see lots of posts about weight, how about barrel nut compatibility?

lots of current (fall 2023) ff hg use a non threaded barrel nut that's got some knurling, and a clamp setup, so effectively the hg set has an inside smooth dimension that then clamps to the cylindrical outer surface of the barrel nut.  

what's that dimension?  because if we have a few almost-standard dimensions, that means to swap handguards you don't need to replace the barrel nut.  

further, the old school method was a barrel nut that has external threads, and a jam nut or lockring, maybe with clamp screws like the handguards that clamp to smooth barrel nuts, maybe with locking screws that thread into dimples or threaded holes in the barrel nut.  

what's the outer threads of those kinds of barrel nuts?

I'm standardizing on using Pantheon Arms Dolos takedown kits, those use handguards with threaded barrel nuts that are the same as YHM older stye, Brigand Arms Edge series, etc.  

it's not rocket science.  

1.85" x 30tpi.  which I find NOWHERE on any of the handguard manufacturers websites, just on the Pantheon Arms info page.  

https://www.pantheonarms.com/support

I am actively on the hunt for a lightweight free float handguard that has this thread.  I have 2 barrel assemblies that need 15" mlok handguards and I have money in hand, but the only lightweight set I know will work is the $400 Brigand Arms Edge.  

If someone would post the specs of the threaded barrel nut style freefloat handguards that would be great.  been searching for a bit tonight but haven't found anything.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top