Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2003 4:50:29 PM EDT
Lowers:  Should I buy cast or forged?  What are the differences and what should the price difference be?

Brands:  How does DPMS rank?

Ok, technically that was more than two questions, but it's two subjects, so I should get partial credit.

Thanks in advance to the all knowing bunch that is going to answer my questions.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Forged, don't bother with cast. And DPMS is, to me, below Colt, Bushmaster and Armalite, about the same as RRA. They are very good for the money, and the differances between all top tier makers is very minimal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Forged.  They are stronger and they tend to be more "in spec" when assembling (ie fewer problems).
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Forged, cast are not an option imho. I have put together 6 rifles on DPMS lowers (we got a good deal) & all of them were done nicely & were in spec.I think as long as you stick w/ colt,armalte,bushy,DPMS, RRA your going to get a decent product.

.......Paul
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Forged, there's no reason to buy cast anymore.  Don't forget Eagle lowers, either.  Quantico Arms has 'em for $100 stripped, quite a buy.  They're local to me, so that's even better...no unsightly transfer fee lol.

My only experience with DPMS is with the .308 I got....their finish is very nice...it has a different look, almost like it's powder coated underneath or something.  

FWIW, based on posts by different folks here, you won't have any troube with:
Bushmaster
Colt
DPMS
Eagle
Rock River

Personally, I've got 4 Eagles, and a Rock River.  Can't see any difference from one brand to the other, really.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top