Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2003 2:55:21 PM EDT
Hi I'm new here. I just wanted to ask your thoughts about a fluted 16in barrel for my bushy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I like em better than heavy barrels. They cut weight by a significant amount (probably the biggest +++) and increase surface area for superior cooling and dissipation of heat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like em better than heavy barrels. They cut weight by a significant amount (probably the biggest +++) and increase surface area for superior cooling and dissipation of heat.
View Quote

You forgot to add that they look cool!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
don't shorter barrels get hot quicker than longer barrels also?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
don't shorter barrels get hot quicker than longer barrels also?
View Quote

Yes, but the flutes increase the surface area of the outside of the barrel, thereby helping dissipate heat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, but not only does it lighten the barrel, it allows the barrel to maintain it's rigidness as well.  It's the same concept behind steel I-Beams used in construction, and fullers (erroneously called blood grooves) used in sword craft.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Removing material will NEVER allow an increase or even the same rigidity to be maintianed.  Flutes will minimize the loss of rigidity.  An I beam is not as strong as a solid steel beam of the same diameter.  Fluting is the answer to minimum weight with maximum rigidity.  It will never be as rigid as an unfluted barrel of the same diameter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
You are correct and incorrect at the same time.

On a circular cross-section, flutes can NEVER increase rigidity.  Flutes don't cost you much rigidity at all, but they certainly don't decrease it.

However, on some structures, removing material in the right place CAN make the structure more rigid.  What you are doing is removing stress concentrations and spreading the strain over a larger area, therefore reducing stress.  This decreases deflection of the structure under loading.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#8]
This is an intriguing idea, "remove material can make the structure more rigid". Exactly how would removing material from a hollow tube (gunbarrel) accomplish this? Where would the "right place" be and how would the "stress concentrations" be identified?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
"circular cross-section" equals "cylinder" or "tube" or "barrel".  I just said that on a circular cross-section (read "barrel") removing material cannot make the structure more rigid.

On structures that aren't circular, fillets at 90-degree angles remove stress concentrations.  Also, holes drilled in the correct place through structures of various configurations can remove stress concentrations.  Many software programs like Pro/Mechanica that I use here at work can tell you the best place and how large to make them, given a target stress value.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Forgot to address how to identify stress concentrations:
With semi-transparent materials, such as as some plastics, optical methods can be used to identify stress concentrations.  To greatly simply the process, you shine some light through it and view it a certain way, and the stress concentrations appear as rainbows (once again, VERY simplified.)

With all other materials, computer simulation or actual testing with strain gages determines stress concentrations.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool, Well said everyone.

I like mine too!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna get a fluted barrel
for my ar.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is a very good article on barrels and how fluting and other aspects effect them:

http://www.varmintal.com/aflut.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top