Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2003 6:33:56 PM EDT
I have an SP1 lower with a large hole A2 colt 16in upper/lightweight barrel bolted on. My question is this...will the latest 4 position model Rock River Arms collapsible stock work with this set up....I believe it should, just want to make sure before I buy it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It sure will.  Just do yourself a favor and buy mil spec/Colt, in case you want to use Vltor or maybe later, Crane stock.  Bushmaster and RRA tubes are both wider in the rail section to be incompatible with Colt, Vltor and other mil spec stocks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Duffy, but I'm pretty slow tonight and want to make sure I understand you correctly.

You're saying do not buy the "newest" collapsible sock offering from RRA and buy Colt milspec instead?  The newest (I believe its 6 positions??) RRA collapsible is not milspec?  The guy selling it at the show here said RRA is supplying them for the M4s??

Thanks again for your reply, just want to make sure to avoid reliability issues when I get this carbine together.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Whiskey, this topic came up quite a bit when the Vltor stocks came out.  The carbine version will not work with anything but Colt tubes.  Colt tubes aren't marked, I doubt if Colt makes them, most likely subcontracted to others like LMT or others.
I have the RRA, Colt and Bushmaster stocks and extension tubes, if you put RRA/Bushy stocks on the Colt tube they'll rattle, because the rail sections are wider on the stocks.  If you try to put a Colt or Vltor stock on an RRA or Bushy tube, it will not go in at all.
Colt's is 4 position only.  Unless RRA changed its tube dimensions, it's not milspec.  I see ads all the time touting that but only Colt's is.  Wes at [url]www.mstn.biz[/url] will be selling these tubes, I suggest you get it from him.  I got a Colt tube from Brownells for $120, Wes' units are made by the same folks that make them for Colt and go for much less.

The top is RRA, bottom is Colt, complete with their respective tubes.  RRA/Bushy sling loop swivels, Colt's is fixed.  The section immediately ahead of the release lever chevron on the Colt is not curved but perpendicular to the stock.  Colt's material is also better, the checkering on the butt pad is sharper.  The Colt tube is better made as well, without the machine marks still left visible on the RRA/Bushy units.
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p66518ade3b485a5b3ef4cf4144b91fe0/fba8f7d5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, cool....thanks for your help.  I'll call wes and get one from him.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top