Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 12:47:29 PM EDT
Curious about early M16A1/AR15 SP1 with the 3 prong flash hider.  How do you install it?  Does the slot go to the 12 o'clock position (top) or 6 o'clock position (bottom)?  Which offers the best control of muzzle flip/rise?
TIA
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Those things are cool.  One of these days I might buy an older SP1 w/ 3 prong and w/o forward assist, then give it to my dad as a gift.  Thats the kind he carried back in the USAF days.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It uses a lock washer and you cant time it.
GG
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Neither the original 3-prong nor later "birdcage" flash supressors are indexed.  Nor is there any reason to attempt to do so.  The M16A2 compensator should have the middle slot up, right in front of the front sight.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The old 3 prong kills the flash well, esp on carbines.  

(Just for Chuck--it's a JOKE!  "And you can cut barbedwire with it if you left your wire cutters at home." ;-)

No indexing, just put it on.  The slots are equadistant, and there is no compensating action with it regardless of how it is aligned.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#5]
That early 3 prong job is the best FLASH HIDER ever put on the M16/AR15.  The only reason it was replaced was b/c of complaints from Viet Nam about the open slots getting caught on vines and such in the jungle areas.

Also IMO I think it's sexier looking than the later types[:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Cut barbed wire with a flash supressor?!  Ha ha ha ha ha!  [:D]

Lucky to break C-ration case wire with it -- and even luckier to avoid an Article 15 for doing it.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Believe the idea is to snag the wire between the prongs, then fire a round to break the strand. At least that's the reson the Austrians put the slotted flash suppressor on their FALs.

No, the idea doesn't do much for me either.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard from a military armorer that even though it is the most effective flash suppressor used on the M16, it was dropped because it tends to draw water into the barrel, as well as the brush problem. BTW, the Phantom has a similar idea behind it, the prongs on the old style can be used to cut barbed wire.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I suggest you folks try to cut military barbed wire -- with wire cutters -- before talking any more nonsense about cutting it with the M16's 3-prong flash supressor [:D].  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Believe the idea is to snag the wire between the prongs, then fire a round to break the strand. At least that's the reson the Austrians put the slotted flash suppressor on their FALs.

No, the idea doesn't do much for me either.[:D]
View Quote

They have 4 prongs, that how their's are. Cetme has 2 notches. you basically were right.
GG
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#11]
"And you can cut barbedwire with it if you left your wire cutters at home."

Chuck, that was a joke.  Sorry, I am too dry at times.  But the first I think is true, I do believe it one of the best flash hider designs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do believe it one of the best flash hider designs.
View Quote

They work dang near as well as a vortex and on par with a phantom. (With less weight and less length than either)

Yeah, I like em too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Cutting wire by placing it in the slots and firing a round is the proper way.  You will find this feature on most assualt rifles (the real things, not the banned versions) and also some bolt and semi-auto rifles from WWII.  If you need actual instruction from a military manual I am sure you could find it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top