Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 7:50:13 PM EDT
Just bought my first Bushmaster V-Match AR 15 with a chrome barrel. I know this question has most likely been discussed ad nasum but I can not find it anywhere. What are the proper procedures for breaking in the chrome barrel. The manufacturer says shoot it, others say shoot 1 round clean ............ Please help me!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
This is probably gogin to be one of the most argued topic out there.  Some have multiple stpe procedures, some simple, some say break in? what the hell's that!

My personal take: shoot it. Now it's broken in. I have yet to see any advantage with these supposed breaking in procedures. Several barrel makers have said there is no need to... it is only a ploy by some manufaturers to help your barrel wear out quicker!

Take it with a grain of salt, and You decide what you feel is best for your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot it,and shoot it again!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Breaking in a barrel is a somewhat controversial topic when it comes to unlined barrels. But everyone agrees that all you have to do to break in a chrome lined barrel is shoot it. No arguments from anyone about that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank-you all very much, sometimes there is too much information out there that only servs to complicate the issue. Today I will go out and JUST SHOOT IT. I have no other choice but to clean it at home as the gun range is outdoors and we have had 8' of snow in the past 9 days and more on the way today.
Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top