Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2002 11:03:58 PM EDT
If the AW ban sunsets, can the crowned barrels on post-bans be converted to threaded barrels?  Or is the profile so different that it would require buying a replacement?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
With the correct tools it would be no big deal to thread a current postban barrel.

Link Posted: 12/24/2002 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I would imagine that the muzzle qould have to be tured down some and then threaded to get the correct diameter.  I'll definately be looking in to it as we get closer and closer to the sunset.  Somebody could make some real cash by making up some kits and selling them in the equipment exchange.  

Keving67
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
If the National Firearms Act of 1934 is repealed can I convert my AR15 to a M16.........

Got about the same chance of happening! [;)]

Gun laws are all about feeling good, nothing else.  It feels good to have those semiautomatic assault weapons "off the street."

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If the National Firearms Act of 1934 is repealed can I convert my AR15 to a M16.........
Got about the same chance of happening! [;)]
Gun laws are all about feeling good, nothing else.  It feels good to have those semiautomatic assault weapons "off the street."
-- Chuck
View Quote

I don't know Chuck.  The difference is the NFA did not have a sunset provision and it would take an affirmative vote by Congress to repeal it.  Can you hear the rhetoric and hype?  However, the AW ban provisions automatically terminate in 2004. No affirmative repeal is necessary, however, an affirmative vote to reinstitute the ban would be required.  The current stats show that the 94 AW ban had no effect upon crime whatsoever.  Politicians don't like to take chances with votes, thus doing nothing and having a reason to do nothing (thus appeasing both sets of voters) is politically reasonable.  Big difference in campaign ads between "Sen. X voted to repeal assault weapon laws that keep our children safe." and "Sen. X didn't affirmatively vote in favor of an ineffectual law."  Just my thoughts and Merry Christmas to ya'll.
Craig
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If it does sunset, I would imagine Kurt down here at KKF will be very busy threading his customers barrels.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, I'm starting to think that this AW ban of '94 "Sunset Clause" is a load of crap.  I've read over the text of the '94 AW ban on the ATF page and it says NOTHING about it sunsetting.  Could one of you actually point out in the ATF's website a URL that CLEARLY states it will sunset in '04???  I'd like a definitive answer.  So far I haven't got one and I'm starting to think that its an urban myth (like free float tubes breaking bolts in half.)
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
If the AW ban were to sunset would all current "post-ban" weapons be eligible for such conversions?

This might require a BATF Opinion?

[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You know, I'm starting to think that this AW ban of '94 "Sunset Clause" is a load of crap.  I've read over the text of the '94 AW ban on the ATF page and it says NOTHING about it sunsetting.  Could one of you actually point out in the ATF's website a URL that CLEARLY states it will sunset in '04???  I'd like a definitive answer.  So far I haven't got one and I'm starting to think that its an urban myth (like free float tubes breaking bolts in half.)
View Quote

H.R. 4296

SEC. 6. EFFECTIVE DATE.

This Act and the amendments made by this Act--
         (1) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act; and
         (2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years after that
     date.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I think Chuck is a totally ignorant of the law (sorry but that's my opinion after reading a few of his recent posts)

HUGE DIFFERENCE

The AW ban being grandfathered is FAR more likely than the 1934 MG BAN is of being repealed.

As a member here (of all places) you should try to change minds (for the better and against the AW ban reinstatement) NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND AS IT APPEARS YOU ARE TRYING TO DO.

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Totally ignorant -- give me a break.  Greeno, are you even out of high school yet? [;)]

The Assault Weapons ban will be reenacted as more "feel good" legislation, or as an ammendment to some unreleated bill.  [b]It has as much chance of sunsetting as the NFA does in getting repealed.[/b]  Wishing it will not be reenacted will not make it happen.

The press, an arm of the Democratic party, will hype any chance of non renewal in the same way they'd hype repeal of the NFA.  Once rights are lost they're never returned.  Major exception was Prohibition, but the rise in crime was impossible to ignore.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#11]
We'll see in less than two years.   I bet (in fact, I can practically guarantee) that we will be free of these STUPID, POINTLESS RESTRICTIONS THAT HAVE NOT, DO NOT, AND WILL NOT EVER HAVE THE INTENDED EFFECT OF REDUCING CRIME!

Maybe I am overly optimistic, because I give MOST of our politicians enough credit for brainpower that I think they can see the truth when it's presented to them, and act accordingly.

If a new ban doesn't pass BOTH the House and the Senate, it isn't law.  And there's NO WAY that a new ban would pass THIS new House, PERIOD!

I expect to see my IM mailbox filled with messages in late 2004 that say "Gee, Chris, you were right!"

CJ

Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

H.R. 4296

SEC. 6. EFFECTIVE DATE.

This Act and the amendments made by this Act--
         (2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years after that
     date.
View Quote

4296 never became law.

HR 3355
9/13/1994 Became Public Law No: 103-322.

SEC. 110105. EFFECTIVE DATE.

This subtitle and the amendments made by this subtitle--

(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years after that date.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#13]
CJ --

I hope you're right, but you'll be disappointed.

No high profile law has to pass both houses of Congress for this.  It can be tacked onto ANY bill that has to be passed -- say the 2004 funding bill for the military; just pick one.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Threading is not a big deal; you can do that by hand and the tools are available on the internet.  But you would have to turn down the muzzle first, which requires a lathe and some skill.

I think KKF charges $50 for this service, so it would definately be cheaper than buying a new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#15]
And there are PLENTY of Representative and Senators who carefully dissect EVERY bill to see what's in it, and if they find anything foul in it, they bring it to everyone's attention, and is edited from the bill if there is sufficient opposition to it.  

This is precisely what our congressmen have been doing for two hundred years.   Some try to sneak shit in, others root it out and get it disposed of.

Did you know that a provision was sneaked into 2002's defense budget that if it had passed, would have allowed for the confiscation, demilitarization, or forfeit of EVERY piece of former surplus military equipment, at the discretion of the Secretary?    Anything from gloves to guns to warbird aircraft, practically?
Even though you may have owned that Colt M1911 since the 50's,  or a Springfield 03 for even longer, it could have been subject to forfeiture or destruction.

The measure was revealed, got some publicity, and was removed from the bill with extreme prejudice.

So long as our Representatives and/or Senators are on the ball,  these things won't get through.

Another thing to consider is this:   The AW ban was a black eye to many congressmen.  A lot of congressmen who voted for it got voted out of office in retaliation at the earliest opportunity.   It was a bloodbath at the ballot box as far as they're concerned.

Most congressmen really would like to just see the issue go away, and the nice thing is that it will do exactly that all on its own.

With NO evidence that the ban has any significant impact on CRIME,  and the obviously pro-gun stance of so many Americans being evident (Gun ownership is at an all time high),  very few congressmen would have the balls to try to introduce a new ban.   It's a sure way to earn the emnity of every pro-gun voter.  Only the few idiots from New York, California, and parts of Illinois would be likely to introduce such a bill as they could probably count on not getting voted into unemployment in the following election.

And don't forget, the ban sunsets just two months from the next election.   Certainly no sane congressman would try to enact a new ban so close to an election.    All the pro-gun voters would most definitely take their revenge.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Tough to say what the Democrats will do. This is after all a party who looked at the last election results and decided the problem was they weren't harebrained and leftist enough.

Everytime the Dems have tried to use gun control as a campaign issue it has bit them on the butt bigtime. You'd think that after 1994, 2000, and 2002 they would start to see the pattern; but they might not.

Even the segment of the Dems that wants to low-key gun issues (Americans for Gun Safety) wants to see the AW ban renewed and made stronger and Andrew McKelvey has already bankrolled $12 million of his own money into that group. He can put some serious resources into the fight.

I think there is a real chance we can see this law die the quiet death it deserves. We have prepared the battlefield well and won the reconaissance battle. There is still going to be a fight though. We can't ease up just yet.

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think the AW ban of 1994 will be allowed to sunset.  I certainly hope it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

The sunset date is set for 9/2004.  Shortly following that is the next election period.  Consider how much more fuel for the fire that Democrats will have.  Frankly they already have enough fuel to fan the flames with the economy right now.  Unless the economy does a quick turnaround in two years, we may yet see a Democratic president with a Democratic house and senate.  The Republican majority certainly isn't ironclad.

Now add to that stress the possibility of being labeled some sort of a gun monger by allowing the 1994 ban to sunset.  What do members of the house of reps REALLY care whether you get a flash hider and a bayonet lug or not?  I mean you still can if you just by a weapon made before 1994, so by keeping the laws the same they lose nothing (Reps will still vote for them) but by upholding that ban they may gain something (extra Dem votes).

If the ban was in 2003 or so, then maybe it could be allowed to sunset, as it is not an election year and people's memories may be short on a matter such as this when there are more pressing issues worrying Americans (i.e. terrorists, war with Iraq, nuclear arms in North Korea).  MAYBE if these issues drag on for two years the American people may forget about the sunset.

No, I think the cards are really stacked against allowing this 1994 ban to sunset.  You can probably count on a single hand (with several fingers missing) the number of people who really want the ban to continue (ok, so some people have really profited from this), but thinking it will sunset is a lot of wishful thinking.  I really hope I'm wrong on this.

Remember, it's not just a matter of "oh, this bill has had no real impact on crime" but rather, "not renewing the ban will cause weapon crimes to increase because suddenly things like hi cap mags are much cheaper and more accessible!"  See the logic?  No, I don't see the logic either, but I don't think the general public has ever been accused of being too logical or rational.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Remember:  If you're not contacting your congress critters on this issue, you're not helping.  And we need the help.

What's even worse is not to vote.  Truly, if you don't vote, you don't matter.   Even if you hate both candidates for a given race,   vote for the one that's LEAST anti-gun. (As you're reading this message, I can assume that you have an interest in the gun issue, given where it's posted.)

No vote at all is almost as bad as voting for the wrong guy.  

Of course, the AW ban will sunset BEFORE the next election, so your next vote won't directly affect its fate,  but it certainly will affect the fates of those congresscritters who are coming up for re-election.    Let them know you're watching and will vote according to the way they satisfy the desires of all Americans who value the 2nd amendment along with the others.

I don't want to hear ANYONE saying "it'll get replaced..." unless they're also willing to step up and say "...Despite the many short, simple, and clear letters I sent to ALL of my elected Representative and Senators, and a few others as well" again.  Negative thoughts have negative consequences.   Positive thoughts have positive consequences.    Keep that in mind and write a batch of letters this week.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Fellas,

IMHO, the ban will sunset. The key is, whether or not new legislation will be enacted to pick up right after the current law sunsets. Who knows, maybe there will be a fillibuster and provide a small window of opportunity to stock up on hi-caps and "evil featured" weapons. Who knows...I am going to try to be realistic and somewhat optimistic all at the same time. One thing is for sure:

I am going to be ready to scoop up a lot of stuff if there is any opportunity to do so when the ban expires....
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
If you wanted to put a Brake/Flashhider on a non-threaded barrel the BEST way to do it would simply put on the brake over the barrel with a "Shrink Fit".  I made a brake at work that was about .003 undersize of the barrel when I got home I put it in the oven at 350 for about 10 min.  I had the barrel out in the snow.  When I went to put the brake on it just slipped on.  I did have the brake pre drilled for a roll pin.  I've shot a lot of ammo thru that gun and the brake is still on
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#21]
here is a good link dealing with the 94 ban.
http://www.awbansunset.com/
Cheers,
Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top