Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2002 2:42:16 PM EDT
Not a good time for the search feature to go kaput.  Anyway, I have a guy who wants to sell me a Colt pre-ban lower.  He advertises it as NIB, unfired.  My questions are as follows:

- Model number is 6830.  Anything I should know about this particular model (i.e., problems, concerns)?
- Would this make a good foundation for a M4gery project?
- Do all Colts have the sear block?  Does this cause any problems other than not being able to install a RDIAS (which I don't intend to do anyway - way too expensive)?
- The serial no. is LH00858X.  Can anyone confirm this as a pre-ban?
- The gun was originally sold (and is marked) as 7.62 x 39.  Can I transition to 5.56 w/o modification, or will I need to change out the spring and buffer?  Any other problems with this?
- The gun is advertised as small-pin, mil-spec.  I assume I can slap on any Bushy upper w/o a problem, yes?
- The seller mentions an original A2 stock, but now has a DPMS telestock.  Is that a problem?  Would I have to prove the gun left the factory with a telestock even if it is a pre-ban?
- Does anyone know if the aftermarket triggers (Accuracy Speaks, Jewell) work on Colts?
- Is $900 a good price on a NIB Colt pre-ban lower?

TIA for your answers!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The rifle is a Sporter lightweight, and should have left the factory with a 16" barrel. The charts show it was made about 1993 and is below the serial number cutoff, so it is preban. I can't guarantee the front pin size, but I think it is probably a small front pin, but is not drilled for the push pin, which means it has a double sided screw front pin (not a concern). It can use a .223 upper without modification. The stock switch is no problem either, as it had a pistol grip, detatchable mag and flash suppressor from the factory, so it is considered a preban assault weapon. $900 is about right for the current market, but I wouldn't call it the deal of the century. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a Sporter Lightweight  16 HBAR 1:12" Made in 1993

Yes 900.00 is a deal since pre ban lowers around me go for 1500.00

Yes a Bushy upper would work fine...

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys.  Keep the answers coming.  What about the DPMS telestock - good quality or not?

Also, eventually I would like to maybe put a suppressor on it.  Are they worth the effort for a 5.56?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]

- Do all Colts have the sear block? Does this cause any problems other than not being able to install a RDIAS (which I don't intend to do anyway - way too expensive)?

All Colts don't have the block but most do and yours almost definitely does. Not only will it preclude the use of RDIAS but also restricts the use of some custom/lightweight trigger options. If that's what you intend on doing the blocks can usually be removed by a competant gunsmith but then you'll have the pin holes in the lower which wouldn't be a problem except for asthetics.

- The seller mentions an original A2 stock, but now has a DPMS telestock. Is that a problem? Would I have to prove the gun left the factory with a telestock even if it is a pre-ban?

No, as long as its legitimate grandfathered pre-ban it can have the telestock even if it didn't originally leave the factory with one.

- Does anyone know if the aftermarket triggers (Accuracy Speaks, Jewell) work on Colts?

See first answer.

- Is $900 a good price on a NIB Colt pre-ban lower?

Its about average for what I've seen on the boards for the last 2 years. $900 on a complete rifle would be a steal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it is a pre-ban. See: Old AR15.com serial no. list

$900 would be a very good price for a pre-ban Colt.

Also check Colt AR15 variants at www.biggerhammer.net
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top