Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/15/2002 10:54:22 PM EDT
im just wondering if the olympic arms barrel (20 & 16") are really good compared to others...
somebody is selling it to me at very "reasonable"price   :->

thanks for the inputs

Link Posted: 12/21/2002 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In your knowledge and opinion, will the current production, particularly the 20" PCR4 and 16" PCR5, reliably handle XM193, XM855, and is there 5.56/.223 brands that should/must be passed over?
View Quote

For what you are asking of the barrel, the Oly will work fine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Man, ZENIF, lighten up on the caffein...we are all adults here.  There is no need for slamming people when they offer their opinions.

Anyway, what was the original topic again?  Oh yeah, the question was "Is this stuff good?"...My OLY 20" SUM consumes all kinds of ammo just fine, from cheap S. African 5.56, WIN Q3131A, up to hand loaded match ammo.  I'm happy with mine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#3]

bravo5two wrote:
Man, ZENIF, lighten up on the caffein
View Quote

AMEN

A_Free_Man

I have had NO trouble with any 5.56 ammo with my Oly Service Match with 20" 416F SS bbl. This rifle is about 12 or 13 years old. I have had equally good success with my Oly CAR, with 16" SS bbl. Accuracy has been excellent. These bbls are marked 5.56 and SS.

I have had no problems with 5.56 ammo with Oly Ultramatch SUM bbl. It, too, is 416F SS. This rifle easily shoots little cloverleafs at 100 yds.
View Quote

I have an Ultra Match, marked SUM 5.56, and it really bothers me that I shot some Fed. Lake City 5.56 through it, and found out later it is a .223, guess thats a big No No.
If it is a .223, and there is a possibility of it being damaged by 5.56, it shouldn't be marked 5.56

Rancid
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought an Oly Barrel marked "SUM 5.56"
Does this barrel have a 223 or 5.56 chamber?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to OlyArms at [url]http://www.olyarms.com[/url] and click the flag; then click tech info; then barrel info.

Oly doesn't update their web site on every change so I suggest you call them at
1-800-228-3471.  

The salient paragraphs are:

Quote.....
CALIBER
First off, every barrel is stamped with the caliber. Since we make over 10 different calibers that are interchangeable on any standard Olympic (or mil any spec) .223 caliber lower, this should be the first thing you check.  The standard .223 caliber rifles are marked "5.56", while the alternative calibers are marked appropriately (45ACP, 40 S&W, 6 PPC, 17 Rem. etc.).

ULTRAMATCH BARRELS
These barrels are our most accurate barrels, and quite frankly, these are the most accurate AR-15 barrels on the market. These barrels have Broach-cut Rifling. What is that you say? Well, broaching is the method used to create the lands and grooves.  For these barrels, we use the stamping "SUM" which means Stainless Ultra Match. These barrels can also be identified by looking down the bore. All of our broach-cut or Ultramatch barrels have only 4 lands and 4 grooves.

ULTRAMATCH BARRELS
Our broached barrels have a standard twist rate of 1x10. Alternative twist rates on these barrels include; 1x8.5, 10, and 14.
......unquote
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Oly Chambers:

I bought an Oly kit this summer, with a 'standard' barrel.

Since I wanted to shoot cheap surplus ammo, I asked about the 5.56 issue, and here's what I was told:

"SUM = .223, everything else is now 5.56. We used to make everything .223, but that changed"

It was on their site, and I confirmed it when I called to order my kit.

I had some initial FTEs (about 5 or so in 300rds), but that was probably due to it being a new gun than to Oly's chambering...
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Wirebrush said:
I just bought an Oly Barrel marked "SUM 5.56"
Does this barrel have a 223 or 5.56 chamber?
View Quote

The SUM, Stainless Ultra Match has a .223 chamber, held to the tight end of tolerances.
I don't know what ailed them to stamp it 5.56

Rancid
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]
My 20" free floated flattop Oly with SUM will shoot under 1/2" with handloads, and surprisingly, some good groups (3/8"-5/8") greentip S&B, go figure.

I have two other Oly stainless barrels, a 20" Service Match (heavy bbl) and a 16" CAR heavy bbl.  These were purchased in '87 and '90, so they presumably have the tighter .223 chambers.

While many have reported extraction problems with the tighter chambers, I have not experienced any problems in this regard with any of these three rifles.  The only problems I had were when I got first Oly AR, the Oly Service Match, I had a batch of Cooper mags, known for being a problem due to weak springs.  Once replace with other good USGI mags, I have had no  problems with these rifles.

Link Posted: 12/24/2002 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Me too, no extraction problems to date and similar accuracy as stated by everyone here.  The only thing I did to my SUM barrel was polishing its chamber with a little jewel rouge using the good old Dremel (to a mirror-grade shine).  I can say that it was the best $200 ever spent!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Oly SUM's the best value out there in a match grade barrel, I think.  There may be better barrels, but nothing can touch the SUM quality for the cost.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top