BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 78
Posted: 3/5/2021 7:06:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb]
This started off as a general JSOC thread but it's quickly become nothing more than talking about the Noveske Navy, so let's just dedicate it to that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone know what mount they are using for their Nightforce ATACR?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Looks good.  What you going to do for a light?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

Looks good.  What you going to do for a light?
View Quote
Inforce for now. Then when that breaks, surefire Pro
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have everything for this build besides a lower. Is my best bet just to pony up on a overpriced one on GunBroker?
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ezytgr:
I have everything for this build besides a lower. Is my best bet just to pony up on a overpriced one on GunBroker?
View Quote

I did that about a month ago with the upper.  Since then I’ve bought 2 more uppers from retailers for reg price.  If you’re in a hurry, go for it.  If you’re more patient than I was, wait a while and see if one pops up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Any retailers that announced any lower or upper future drops
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By officerX:

I did that about a month ago with the upper.  Since then I’ve bought 2 more uppers from retailers for reg price.  If you’re in a hurry, go for it.  If you’re more patient than I was, wait a while and see if one pops up.
View Quote

I'll prolly wait. I feel like I got the harder stuff to get like the rail and upper. I can wait for a lower.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it me or is the dead air flash hider heavy? I picked it up and was surprised how heavy it feels compared to like a surefire.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I just put a Magpul SL-K stock on my 11.5" G. I don't think that I like it. The LMT SOPMOD is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doyouquaxu] [#10]
Ordered my can today, guess I'm in on this. Gonna order some small parts and magazines this weekend. Plan is to build an upper for each caliber with one lower and a second lower built later. I've got a few months to source all the parts at least.

eta: What mount is used with the Sig Tango? Might go that route
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
Is it me or is the dead air flash hider heavy? I picked it up and was surprised how heavy it feels compared to like a surefire.
View Quote

It's super heavy compared to a Surefire. I had the same thought after buying a few.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:34:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#12]
View Quote

Yuup, it has some heft to it.
Speaking of weight, I was able to crunch some numbers on the 556 upper. Depending if you are running the standard Noveske CQB barrel, you'll actually be ~2oz. heavier than a standard Cqbr upper. (w/govt. profile barrel)
I don't physically have a LW Navy barrel to weigh myself; weight was reported to me by someone else. Everything else I was able to verify with my postal scale.

Noveske Complete Upper w/LW barrel = 3lb, 10.8oz 3lbs, 10.3oz
Noveske Complete Upper w/ Standard CQB barrel = 3lb, 13.8oz
Standard Complete CQBR w/ govt. profile barrel = 3lb, 11.9oz

Stripped barrel weights, no GB
Navy LW Profile = 20.3oz 19.8oz
CQB barrel = 23.2oz

Don't take my weights as gospel, I'm sure there maybe small variances depending on scale. If anything, it shows there is a small weight savings when compared to a CQBR.

Eta: To clarify, The completed upper weights include their respective flash hider. Noveske w/DAFH, Cqbr w/ SF 4 prong.
Eta2: Actually sourced a LW 556 barrel. Weights updated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Yuup, it has some heft to it.
Speaking of weight, I was able to crunch some numbers on the 556 upper. Depending if you are running the standard Noveske CQB barrel, you'll actually be ~2oz. heavier than a standard Cqbr upper. (w/govt. profile barrel)
I don't physically have a LW Navy barrel to weigh myself; weight was reported to me by someone else. Everything else I was able to verify with my postal scale.

Noveske Complete Upper w/LW barrel = 3lb, 10.8oz
Noveske Complete Upper w/ Standard CQB barrel = 3lb, 13.8oz
Standard Complete CQBR w/ govt. profile barrel = 3lb, 11.9oz

Stripped barrel weights, no GB
Navy LW Profile = 20.3oz
CQB barrel = 23.2oz

Don't take my weights as gospel, I'm sure there maybe small variances depending on scale. If anything, it shows there is a small weight savings when compared to a CQBR.
View Quote

That's interesting. Would be curious to see some numbers on the SF RC vs Sandman-S as well, including the mounts. My guess is the Dead Air is a few oz heavier.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Between the muzzle device and the suppressor itself you have a very heavy overall system weight.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Weight is a sign of reliability.

That's what I tell myself every time I get off the scale anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By IceAuger:
Weight is a sign of reliability.

That's what I tell myself every time I get off the scale anyway.
View Quote

The Sandman is a great can but I just wanted to point out it's the "system weight" that counts. The KAC NT4 gets dinged for being an old heavyweight dinosaur but when you consider the muzzle device with it, it's actually not as bad as some more modern "fancy" cans with their respective mounts. I'm approaching 30 cans in the collection these days, and let me tell you weight is far more important to me now vs. when I first started down this road.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#17]
It was a joke.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#18]
It was a joke.
View Quote

And I got it.

I wanted to point out that people who think a "full auto rated" tank of a suppressor is the only option are missing out. It's a moot point for the sake of the clone threads but for those that may branch out beyond that I would caution. I've spent quite a bit on the NFA game and wish I knew what I know now back then.

Anyway, my apologies for the derail.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t think it’s a derail to compare system weight of the Noveske to system weight of a mk18. Obviously, the capabilities are different, the systems “feel” different, and the components are different. Data is data, and it can be useful. None of us will ultimately know all the reasons behind the solicitations to Noveske, the deciding criteria, etc. we can all speculate. But at the end of the day, I find it interesting to compare systems to their predecessors.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JuanPing] [#20]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

And I got it.

I wanted to point out that people who think a "full auto rated" tank of a suppressor is the only option are missing out. It's a moot point for the sake of the clone threads but for those that may branch out beyond that I would caution. I've spent quite a bit on the NFA game and wish I knew what I know now back then.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It was a joke.

And I got it.

Same.  

Originally Posted By JLAudio:

It's super heavy compared to a Surefire. I had the same thought after buying a few.

The Surefire 3P and 4P weigh 0.3oz more than the DA FH (3.9oz vs 3.6oz).  That's the published spec.  Have not weighed each to verify.  ETA: The DA FH in 5/8-24 is 4.0oz.

The RC2 is 17.0oz while the Sandman S is 17.7oz.  So, 0.4oz advantage to the SF combo it appears.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]

The Sandman is a great can but I just wanted to point out it's the "system weight" that counts. The KAC NT4 gets dinged for being an old heavyweight dinosaur but when you consider the muzzle device with it, it's actually not as bad as some more modern "fancy" cans with their respective mounts. I'm approaching 30 cans in the collection these days, and let me tell you weight is far more important to me now vs. when I first started down this road.
View Quote

Weight as in, its more important to you for it to be lightweight or heavy? Theres been tests that show the old quad rails are wayore robust then the newer lightweight stuff. But most don’t care cause its a range gun and the chances of it seeing what soldiers see are very small. Me, its arfcom, get both.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Weight as in, its more important to you for it to be lightweight or heavy? Theres been tests that show the old quad rails are wayore robust then the newer lightweight stuff. But most don’t care cause its a range gun and the chances of it seeing what soldiers see are very small. Me, its arfcom, get both.
View Quote

Lightweight. I don't own an M16 or do serious mag dumps so the benefits of a full stellite can are kind of lost on me. I do feel that weight on the end of the barrel though. Obviously a different scenario for the guys that carry them for a living. And I absolutely agree on get both (or 30 suppressors ).
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jellis71985:

With the scarcity of the rail alone I doubt there will be enough available parts to replace the cqbr LOL
View Quote

Be nice if they could crank more out in general.  The NSR's and variants have ended up being my favorite slim rail after using several for several years.   Zero drama with them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: officerX] [#24]
I bought my first ever Aimpoint T2 to put on the DEVGRU build.  For you other T2 owners - do you have to turn the brightness to 10 before you start to see the dot?  I might see it faintly at 9 but any time I use it I’ll probably have it on 11.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought my first ever Aimpoint T2 to put on the DEVGRU build.  For you other T2 owners - do you have to turn the brightness to 10 before you start to see the dot?  I might see it faintly at 9 but any time I use it I’ll probably have it on 11.
View Quote

Change the battery, test again and send it in for repair/mentioned if it is still that dim.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

I rarely go past 7 on my T2. Using quality batteries?
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Change the battery, test again and send it in for repair/mentioned if it is still that dim.
View Quote

Originally Posted By eMc9001:

I rarely go past 7 on my T2. Using quality batteries?
View Quote

I bought it from the EE.  It came with an Energizer battery in it and was like that.  I put a new Rayovac battery in it and got the same results.  
Will they do repair if I’m not the original owner/purchaser?
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Aimpoint Brightness Issues? Answered

I have two newer ones and they are both like that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: officerX] [#29]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Aimpoint Brightness Issues? Answered

I have two newer ones and they are both like that.
View Quote

Thanks for that.  While it sucks, I’m glad to know that it’s a known problem and not just an issue with mine.  

I decided to take another look at it.  With the unit right up at my eye and with a black background, 1-6 I can’t see the dot at all.  7 is where I start to see it.  But holding it away from my eye, at a distance of where it would be mounted on a rifle, 9 is the lowest possible useable setting, and that would be in a dark room.  It’ll probably always be used on 10 or 11.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Thanks for that.  While it sucks, I’m glad to know that it’s a known problem and not just an issue with mine.  

I decided to take another look at it.  With the unit right up at my eye and with a black background, 1-6 I can’t see the dot at all.  7 is where I start to see it.  But holding it away from my eye, at a distance of where it would be mounted on a rifle, 9 is the lowest possible useable setting, and that would be in a dark room.  It’ll probably always be used on 10 or 11.
View Quote

My T2 is exactly the same. 7 is very dim but I can see it. 9 is great for indoors. 10+ for outdoors sun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Wait did I read that right?
The Navy Noveske weighs more than a CQBR?

I’m really surprised by that, I always feel like the RIS-II is a chonker of a rail.

As for the T2.  Inside my house #6 you can tell it’s on but not really make out the dot
#7 is visible,
#8 is where it feels comfortable.  
9&10 look good outside.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

My T2 is exactly the same. 7 is very dim but I can see it. 9 is great for indoors. 10+ for outdoors sun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

Thanks for that.  While it sucks, I'm glad to know that it's a known problem and not just an issue with mine.  

I decided to take another look at it.  With the unit right up at my eye and with a black background, 1-6 I can't see the dot at all.  7 is where I start to see it.  But holding it away from my eye, at a distance of where it would be mounted on a rifle, 9 is the lowest possible useable setting, and that would be in a dark room.  It'll probably always be used on 10 or 11.

Mine, recently purchased, stays on 9 indoors and is fine with the mod light going. Has to be on 10 for outdoor use.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ShiftSix:
Wait did I read that right?
The Navy Noveske weighs more than a CQBR?
I’m really surprised by that, I always feel like the RIS-II is a chonker of a rail.
As for the T2.  Inside my house #6 you can tell it’s on but not really make out the dot
#7 is visible,
#8 is where it feels comfortable.  
9&10 look good outside.
View Quote

No lol.

If your using the Navy spec LW barrel, you'll be ~2oz lighter than a Cqbr upper w/ govt. Profile barrel.

If your using the more commercially available Cqb Mid Profile barrel, you'll be 2oz over a Cqbr.

Keep in mind, the weights I listed in the previous post are just the complete uppers.(no accessories)
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Own a bunch of T-2's. Indoors 9 is ideal. They are all set to 10-11 for outdoor/white light use.

When you have to crank them up to like 10-11 just to see the dot, you know the battery is about to die.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: officerX] [#35]
I've got a new, in the sealed box Noveske gen 3 upper for sale, $325 shipped.  That covers what I paid for it plus shipping to you.  Email me if you want it.

ETA:  GONE
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got a new, in the sealed box Noveske gen 3 upper for sale, $325 shipped.  That covers what I paid for it plus shipping to you.  Email me if you want it.
View Quote

emailed. lol.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

emailed. lol.
View Quote

Yours
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#38]
You guys planning on timing y'all's flash hiders or nah?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I’ll probably be buying the Sandman sometime this week.  What’s the wait like on suppressors these days?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:16:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
You guys planning on timing y'all's flash hiders or nah?
View Quote

That hole for pinning should be at 6 o’clock.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:

That hole for pinning should be at 6 o'clock.
View Quote
Tracking, just wondering if the issued ones are timed or not as it's not really necessary.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

You guy's doing two builds need to chill peasants like me are still trying to source parts for the first.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

You guy's doing two builds need to chill peasants like me are still trying to source parts for the first.
View Quote

Do both..........the ARF.com way.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Doing both builds... badass. Hope to do a .300 down the line. I got brand new FDE furniture if anyone is looking.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

Do both..........the ARF.com way.
View Quote

Too many builds not enough time lol.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#47]
GA Firing Line has Sandman-S suppressors for $696.00 with code ‘SMS’ just FYI
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#48]
If anyone is worried about the mil cans going out of stock anytime soon, I wouldn't worry about it, there are loads of them on distributor sites right now.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bChau:
If anyone is worried about the mil cans going out of stock anytime soon, I wouldn't worry about it, there are loads of them on distributor sites right now.
View Quote

Yuup. Someone reported in the other Sandman thread with a serial number of 7xxx lol. That's a lot of "overruns".
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Yuup. Someone reported in the other Sandman thread with a serial number of 7xxx lol. That's a lot of "overruns".
View Quote
Haha, I thought the same thing. I got mine from CA before DA announced that they would be available.

One distributor site I use started out with 2xx, then that number got bigger and bigger over the last few weeks. Now it's at 750 in stock.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 78
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top