Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 7:46:38 PM EDT
Im sure this will ruffle feathers but im looking for sone opinions or pros and cons. Im thinking of doing an urgi build. I wont call it a clone because of what im about to ask. The urgi uses s 14.5 barrel right? Im aware its mid length. Its also a very light contour. Had anyone used or considered using a 14.5 colt socom? I happen to have one without the fsb and am considering using it. Im also aware its not a midlength gas system. However, what are your opinions as to functionality? Those 14.5 socoms are definitely good shooters. Are the dd chf 14.5’s thst superior?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For the intended application of the URG-I? Maybe.  For your use? Probably not unless you plan on dumping an assload of 855A1 down the tube.

Especially right now since stuff is so hard to find, I’d have no problems building a URGI(ish) upper with a socom barrel.  It won’t be a clone, but it will be a sweet upper.  Also with the ease of installation of the Mk16 rail it’s really not a big ordeal if you ever want to clone and swap it out for a DD in the future.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Great point sir. I have no problem buying a dd 14.5. I have already been on and off the clone train. Ive cloned every variant of the block II ( short and long ). I was really researching it and trying to see what the literature showed as far as one barrel over the other. In my experience the socom heavy barrel is hard to beat. All of mine are sweet shooters and the recoil impulse is negligible. I mean come on, its a 5.56 military grade weapon, not a race gun. I may very well get bit by the clone bug again and want one thats exact but at the moment im thinking about doing a frankenclone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
There just seems to be so little info as to what prompted the selection of the weapons components.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There just seems to be so little info as to what prompted the selection of the weapons components.
View Quote

Actually, there has been some information put out for some of the reasons behind the addition of the URG-I.  I built a similar to URG-I with a Spikes Optimal 14.6 Midlength CHF and a Troy MLOK handguard.  It was a great shooter but I was not satisfied until I sold other gun parts and picked up a near clone Geissele upper.  This link I have attached was included in old posts about the URG-I.  The change was justified with rate of failure and parts longevity.
https://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/14/nswc-crane-carbine-mid-length-gas-system-testing-shows-increased-performance/
ETA;  The above article is linked by member SpyHawk half way down the page in the URG=I Clone Thread.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-and-Clone-Picture-and-Discussion-Thread/118-722381/?page=15
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Use whatever barrel you want if you aren't doing a true clone. The DD barrel is a good choice however. I have a Noveske Afghan on mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im sure this will ruffle feathers but im looking for sone opinions or pros and cons. Im thinking of doing an urgi build. I wont call it a clone because of what im about to ask. The urgi uses s 14.5 barrel right? Im aware its mid length. Its also a very light contour. Had anyone used or considered using a 14.5 colt socom? I happen to have one without the fsb and am considering using it. Im also aware its not a midlength gas system. However, what are your opinions as to functionality? Those 14.5 socoms are definitely good shooters. Are the dd chf 14.5’s thst superior?
View Quote

Will it work, sure.  Will it met your needs, sure.  Your build so build away.  However, will it be a true URGI clone, no.  But then there are few true clones as not on a true Colt M4A1 select fire lower.  In cloning there are few items that we all understand that can't be met ie lower just mentioned.  Other key parts we try to keep as spec'd.

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I just want to know where you found a DDC MK16 rail in stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't the DD mid length barrel do better in longevity testing with M855A1 over the other barrels?

Your rifle, so build it with whatever parts you want.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#10]
The DD is not a very light contour, it’s just lighter than a Socom barrel. As far as functionality, 14.5 Socom barrels are quite functional. No worries there. Build away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The magazine selection and overall manufacturer warranty has more to do with it being "rated" for M855A1 than anything on the URGI. Proper mags will make M855A1 work fine in standard  5.56 NATO chamberedbarrels. It's just hot ammo so you'll eat up components faster all around.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The magazine selection and overall manufacturer warranty has more to do with it being "rated" for M855A1 than anything on the URGI. Proper mags will make M855A1 work fine in standard  5.56 NATO chamberedbarrels. It's just hot ammo so you'll eat up components faster all around.
View Quote

I didn't see anyone ask about magazines.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top