BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2020 5:17:52 PM EDT
About this thread:  A place to post your clone (whether it's "inspired" or "pure") of Israeli Defense Force rifles.  I'd like for that to include Tavor's/X95's, but since this is the AR Discussion thread, I can see why it might be limited to just their M4 rifles.  In The Wild pics are encouraged as well.

Why I'm starting this thread (and hoping the Mods don't delete):  There is an IDF/KISS rifle thread already, but it's dominated largely by KISS builds, so I thought there should be an IDF-focused thread for those of us who just want to look at IDF pics and builds.  Plus, a lot of the earlier pics on that thread suffered the Photobucket purge.

So, I'll start with my current build.  Starting with just a Bushy M4A3 rifle, using a Magpul sling attached with paracord IDF-style, and currently has a Samson IDF-overrun flip up BUIS.  Just waiting on some Zahal orders to make their way over here from Israel.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Question for @BrandonP, when you were in, did you ever see units that had a combination of Tavors and M4's, or did units have entirely one type of rifle or the other?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
OK OP. My Israeli Mekutz-rar clone. 13" bbl cutdown by John Thomas (Retro Arms Works.) Has a Star of David lasered on upper left of the lower.

Since the Israelis seem to make extra use of anything they can it's got an adapter for a SUIT scope. I've also got one of the original IDF 3X scopes too.

The small case under the rifle is for an Israeli-issue clamp bipod.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question for @BrandonP, when you were in, did you ever see units that had a combination of Tavors and M4's, or did units have entirely one type of rifle or the other?
View Quote

@NCState85 in the late 00s time frame, only one or two infantry Brigades had been issued the Tavor (Givati first, then Golani was starting to get them at the end of my service). Entire brigades either had one or the other...I'm not sure how they managed that with reserve duty, especially in reserve units that were comprised of mashups between different drafts. For example, in my brigade my draft had the M16 short and M4 but later drafts into the same brigade got the Tavor. I'd imagine it was a logistical pain in the ass...hope this answers your question.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@NCState85 in the late 00s time frame, only one or two infantry Brigades had been issued the Tavor (Givati first, then Golani was starting to get them at the end of my service). Entire brigades either had one or the other...I'm not sure how they managed that with reserve duty, especially in reserve units that were comprised of mashups between different drafts. For example, in my brigade my draft had the M16 short and M4 but later drafts into the same brigade got the Tavor. I'd imagine it was a logistical pain in the ass...hope this answers your question.
View Quote

Thanks, it does.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OK OP. My Israeli Mekutz-rar clone. 13" bbl cutdown by John Thomas (Retro Arms Works.) Has a Star of David lasered on upper left of the lower.

Since the Israelis seem to make extra use of anything they can it's got an adapter for a SUIT scope. I've also got one of the original IDF 3X scopes too.

The small case under the rifle is for an Israeli-issue clamp bipod.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6163/1386dbf4-5c5c-4aa5-8275-be87cd0dccbe_zps-1429752.JPG
View Quote

Nice, I'm setting up a second IDF build right now to use one of the PSA "Israeli-15's", so I think having another Star of David would be a little redundant, but I'm thinking about having one engraved on the Bushy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Been thinking of converting this over to IDF

OP, can you elaborate on your paracord attachment points? Looks nice and clean!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/7LgQsXmG/IMG-20200406-135240.jpg

View Quote

Nice looking setup there, always liked the optic on-top of the carry handle.  

Haha, my paracord attachments are actually pretty rough.  I tied a loop of paracord for the FSP, then looped one end through the other and fed my sling through it.  Then on the stock, I took a length of paracord, fed it over and through the stock holes several times before tying it off to itself to create a series of loops on either side.  I then did the same thing as the FSP, pushing a loop of paracord under the wrapped paracord, then feeding it through itself, and then feeding my sling through the resulting loop.

I'd like to get it looking a little cleaner with some better knots, since, because I don't know any, I went with the "if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot" mantra.  I did go ahead and use a lighter to sort of melt the knots in the hopes that it'll keep them together for a while.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice looking setup there, always liked the optic on-top of the carry handle.  

Haha, my paracord attachments are actually pretty rough.  I tied a loop of paracord for the FSP, then looped one end through the other and fed my sling through it.  Then on the stock, I took a length of paracord, fed it over and through the stock holes several times before tying it off to itself to create a series of loops on either side.  I then did the same thing as the FSP, pushing a loop of paracord under the wrapped paracord, then feeding it through itself, and then feeding my sling through the resulting loop.

I'd like to get it looking a little cleaner with some better knots, since, because I don't know any, I went with the "if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot" mantra.  I did go ahead and use a lighter to sort of melt the knots in the hopes that it'll keep them together for a while.
View Quote

Haha from the picture it looks well thought out! Either way, ever since you schooled me on IDF having flattop receivers I've been kicking around the idea of turning this or building another flattop IDF clone and keeping this one more Operation Gothic Serpent style.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Haha from the picture it looks well thought out! Either way, ever since you schooled me on IDF having flattop receivers I've been kicking around the idea of turning this or building another flattop IDF clone and keeping this one more Operation Gothic Serpent style.
View Quote

Haha, thanks! Me personally, I'd sort of prefer doing a separate flat top, simply because I think those Gothic Serpent builds look awesome and would want to keep one like that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:40:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/7LgQsXmG/IMG-20200406-135240.jpg

View Quote

Is that a Ops Inc. setup with an AEM suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is that a Ops Inc. setup with an AEM suppressor?
View Quote

Yes-ish. M4-AEM5 collar, Smith Vortex G6A2-SBV.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

This thread is intended to be much narrower than that one. Focusing only on IDF.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

And from the OP:

"There is an IDF/KISS rifle thread already, but it's dominated largely by KISS builds, so I thought there should be an IDF-focused thread for those of us who just want to look at IDF pics and builds."
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a spare Umbrella Corporation receiver set. Is it blasphemy to have a Gucci/boutique IDF clone? .
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a spare Umbrella Corporation receiver set. Is it blasphemy to have a Gucci/boutique IDF clone? .
View Quote

lol, never thought about it, but it does seem like IDF clones are usually made on low-to-mid end builds.  That would be legit to see an Umbrella Corps one though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:54:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

IDF rifles are definitely KISS rifles we supplied all the M4 stocks for them and they wanted no single swivel attached.
View Quote

True, but if you look at recent IDF rifles in use, they have a pretty diverse set of stocks, grips, handguards, optics, lights, sling attachment methods, etc...  For stocks alone, there's everything from the CAR-15 style to FAB Defense and Supergums.  I think there've even been a few B5's spotted.  So I figured having a thread dedicated to recent and classic IDF builds and ITW pics, both KISS and modern, would be useful.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#21]
ITW pic of an IDF rifle with one of the optics @Stukas87 had on his clone in the KISS/IDF thread.

Does anyone know what kind of light that is on the rifle?  It looks like a FAB mount.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]
That looks like a maglite.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Think you're right.  From a shooting standpoint, would you say that optic is pretty good?  I'm starting a second IDF build, and since I have a Meprolight M5 on one, I wanted something different, but not an ACOG, for the other.  I've heard mostly "meh" things about the M21's.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Think you're right.  From a shooting standpoint, would you say that optic is pretty good?  I'm starting a second IDF build, and since I have a Meprolight M5 on one, I wanted something different, but not an ACOG, for the other.  I've heard mostly "meh" things about the M21's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Elbit Falcon MK II is duty ready and my favorite red dot. On a AR it sits 1/3rd co-witness. And a good working Falcon the auto light adjust will work great indoors and out.
The older MK I is great too but super rare and mounts even harder to find. It sits full co-witness. Originally designed to sit on Galil gas tube, then later mounts made by ARMS (hence the popular picture of IDF guy above with one on his M4. ) Only flaw with Elbit Falcons the red dot appears as about 5ish MOA so kinda big. (At 200yds and beyond obscures 12inch plates and such)
MKIIs show up on ebay every 6 months or so, with all accessories go for 200-350. I have only seen three working MKIs ever sold (I own two!) super rare. Barnes Precision Machine out of NC will make a MKI mount if requested.
Heres my ATI Galeo with a MKI and the rarest mount ever (Galil mount)
" />

Here is link to my article on the MKII Elbit Falcon........
Elbit Falcon MKII Optical Gunsight

And true the IDF /KISS thread is dominated by KISS rifles. I've even been criticized before when I posted IDF clones some saying they were not kiss! we definitely need a IDF only thread.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Elbit Falcon MK II is duty ready and my favorite red dot. On a AR it sits 1/3rd co-witness. And a good working Falcon the auto light adjust will work great indoors and out.
The older MK I is great too but super rare and mounts even harder to find. It sits full co-witness. Originally designed to sit on Galil gas tube, then later mounts made by ARMS (hence the popular picture of IDF guy above with one on his M4. ) Only flaw with Elbit Falcons the red dot appears as about 5ish MOA so kinda big. (At 200yds and beyond obscures 12inch plates and such)
MKIIs show up on ebay every 6 months or so, with all accessories go for 200-350. I have only seen three working MKIs ever sold (I own two!) super rare. Barnes Precision Machine out of NC will make a MKI mount if requested.
https://i.imgur.com/l2SwNtq.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/l2SwNtq.jpg

And true the IDF /KISS thread is dominated by KISS rifles. I've even been criticized before when I posted IDF clones some saying they were not kiss! we definitely need a IDF only thread.
View Quote

Thanks for the information and great looking Galil build!  Awesome article too, I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for one of the MK II's then.  I like the way they look, and prefer a lower 1/3 height anyway. Plus, although this is just an inspired-build I'm going with, I like for any optics I put on to be useful and reliable.    

And thanks, I wasn't sure if the mods would let this stay up, but I'm glad they have so far.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#26]
My PSA "Israel-15" lower came in.  As BrandonP said, not really 'clone correct' since they used Colt lowers, but I'm just going for an Israeli-themed rifle, so thought this would be a good starting place.

I like how the prefix for the SN is 1948, haha.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I might have to get one of those lowers
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
IDF clone thread
Women of IDF thread
Please adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I am building an IDF type rifle, probably more of a KISS rifle really but it will have IDF styling. I have a flat top receiver and rather than a carry handle I was considering a Meprolight. Wondering if anyone has had experience with or runs a M21 or older style self-illuminated sight. They seem to be everywhere on IDF rifles.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am building an IDF type rifle, probably more of a KISS rifle really but it will have IDF styling. I have a flat top receiver and rather than a carry handle I was considering a Meprolight. Wondering if anyone has had experience with or runs a M21 or older style self-illuminated sight. They seem to be everywhere on IDF rifles.
View Quote

Plenty of info in Tavor Forums... bottom line no good reviews.
Id go with a Mepro Tru-dot
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#31]
This posted in KISS thread but might as well put it here
My 1990s IDF clone based off popular picture of IDF guy with M4 and Elbit MK I close as I can do...
" />
Also difference with MKI and MKII Elbit Falcon...MKI left
" />
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you sir! I was looking for something that doesn't use batteries but it's all about trade-offs.

Cheers

link for everyone else: https://us.meprolight.com/product/mepro-rds/
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/l2SwNtq.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/l2SwNtq.jpg

View Quote

OK, now you've done it. I'm sure my son will undertake a quest to find one of those optics/mounts for his Galil build.

BTW, how do you like the Galeo?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OK, now you've done it. I'm sure my son will undertake a quest to find one of those optics/mounts for his Galil build.

BTW, how do you like the Galeo?
View Quote

So far its pretty good, now its true it wont run Galil steel mags without modification. But runs Tapcos just fine.
I modified some Galil mags others are modifying their Galeos See ATI thread in AK / Galil forums.
ATI announced all future rifles will be modified to run Galil steel mags so thats good.

Il just stick with modified steel mags. Now first batch I purchased were listed as "good". But only 1 out of the three worked even after modification they were just too dented and deformed
I purchased some reconditioned Galil mags they are awesome. So if going steel mag route spend the extra $$$ on great quality mags.

As for ATI Galeo, Im now contemplating purchasing their new Galeo pistol and making it a SBR.    

As for the mount...Ive been collecting Elbit Falcons since 2005 and just happened to stumble upon the Galil mount 4 months ago, so good luck!
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I have a Mepro Tru-dot RDS, and an RDS Pro (M5).  Both have been really solid for me so far, although the base-model RDS does only have 4 brightness settings, with one of them being NVG.  But I've had no trouble making those 4 settings work.  I've also been really impressed with their battery life and durability.  I don't know if it's aimpoint-level longevity, but since they run on AA batteries, I just change them out about once every 1-2 years.

Sill keeping an eye out for an Elbit Falcon MKII though. Would like some diversity on my Israeli builds.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This posted in KISS thread but might as well put it here
My 1990s IDF clone based off popular picture of IDF guy with M4 and Elbit MK I close as I can do...
https://i.imgur.com/lEs20uv.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/lEs20uv.jpg
Also difference with MKI and MKII Elbit Falcon...MKI left
https://i.imgur.com/JnLApL3.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/JnLApL3.jpg
View Quote

Man, that MK1 on the M4 looks awesome.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Nice one too.  Did Zahal quit making that sling?  I was on their site the other day, but it looks like all they're offering is a single-point bungie-stle, and I'm not really a fan of getting slapped in the nads that often.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#40]
My tavor and my friends m whatever. I don’t drink so on weekends I would inevitably become the keeper of everyone else’s guns. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Haha, like a Designated Driver, but a Designated Weapons Holder instead, lol.

How does a slick M4 compare to a Tavor with those optics/accessories in terms of weight?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Haha, like a Designated Driver, but a Designated Weapons Holder instead, lol.

How does a slick M4 compare to a Tavor with those optics/accessories in terms of weight?
View Quote

It doesn't haha, my tavor was a brick shit house in comparison to the M4 and M16 variants. My specific role required the set up shown which was an acog, vfg, and bipod. I really hated the tavor and was amazed when I came home and a few years after my service they started becoming cool here in the states. To this date, the least favorite weapon system I have used.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice one too.  Did Zahal quit making that sling?  I was on their site the other day, but it looks like all they're offering is a single-point bungie-stle, and I'm not really a fan of getting slapped in the nads that often.
View Quote

It was part of a clone set and I don't see it on their site any longer.

Maybe this is it. Note that it says the product is a two point sling:

https://zahal.org/product/zahal-2-point-tactical-idf-infantry-rifle-sling/

Attachment Attached File

This looks basically like the same thing:

https://iweapons.com/product/iweapons-idf-2-point-rifle-sling-infantry-gun-sling-green/

Attachment Attached File

ETA:

Here is a Zahal model on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Metal-Point-Adjustable-Tactical-Zahal-IDF-Improved-OD-GREEN-Rifle-Sling-/350809864892
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Just did some checking and this is definitely the sling I have. I just looks confusing in the pics:

https://zahal.org/product/zahal-2-point-tactical-idf-infantry-rifle-sling/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Did someone say Tavor?
" />
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Did someone say Tavor?
https://i.imgur.com/Uu67UMg.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/Uu67UMg.jpg
View Quote

I've never been a fan of bullpups, but I really do like the Tavor/X95.  Maybe it's just my pro-Israel bias, but I think they look good.  That's a nice paintjob too

Also, thanks for the info PFran.  I'm definitely going to pick up one of those for my second Israeli build.

This is the progress on my IDF "inspired" Bushmaster.

The light setup was inspired by her M4, although I have no idea what kind of flashlight she has, so I just used a ProTac I had lying around. Optic is a Meprolight TruDot RDS (not the pro/M5 version) that I've also had for a few years and it needed a home.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It doesn't haha, my tavor was a brick shit house in comparison to the M4 and M16 variants. My specific role required the set up shown which was an acog, vfg, and bipod. I really hated the tavor and was amazed when I came home and a few years after my service they started becoming cool here in the states. To this date, the least favorite weapon system I have used.
View Quote

lol, damn.  Was that a pretty common opinion among the IDF when you were there?  And do you know if the X95 was an improvement, or was the X95 what you had?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Picked up FAB Mag holder at a surplus store in GA
" />
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Posted is in the other clone thread but figured I’d share here. Love how it turned out.

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Here is the bizzaroland zero we had on the sharpshooter tavors using green tip.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top