BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2019 10:14:32 AM EDT
What do you think?

https://specialopstactical.com/product/14-8-nitride-premium-siphon-agp-w-nickel-boron-rifle-length-barrel/
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Well if the business name is Special Ops Tactical they surely know wtf they're doing.

Hope you've got a can.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What do you think?

https://specialopstactical.com/product/14-8-nitride-premium-siphon-agp-w-nickel-boron-rifle-length-barrel/
View Quote
I think the name of the place will prevent me from buying one.

Which suppressor are you mounting to this thing?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the name of the place will prevent me from buying one.

Which suppressor are you mounting to this thing?
View Quote
A SiCo Omega.

They claim I can run mil spec parts without a silencer and it'll function. I'm interested to see if that's true.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be pretty leery.
That's not very much dwell time, plus it's lower pressure than carbine or mid.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I would love to know the gas port size. Probably .125.

I'm working on a 16" ish rifle length upper right now. Will be run with a suppressor though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm working on a 16" ish rifle length upper right now. Will be run with a suppressor though.
View Quote
I have an old Triarc Trac 16in rifle length, 0.093" gas port. Lightweight carrier/buffer, -10% spring, and an adjustable gas block. I've only got it to the range once but it ran great with steel cased russian ammo.

The SOT I'd expect to do even better, and wouldn't be surprised if it did run with mil-spec parts. Taken from this article, this picture shows what's going on with the "Angled Gas Port"

So not only should this improve flow and pressure, but it means that the actual port location in the barrel is further back than it is outside the barrel. I may be a little bit more questioning on a 14.8in rifle gas, but no more so than I would be with a standard 16in rifle gas. I wouldn't have any concerns with their 16in model, and if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the Triarc, is the way I would have gone. If you're running suppressed 100% of the time, I'd FO without worry.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have an old Triarc Trac 16in rifle length, 0.093" gas port. Lightweight carrier/buffer, -10% spring, and an adjustable gas block. I've only got it to the range once but it ran great with steel cased russian ammo.

The SOT I'd expect to do even better, and wouldn't be surprised if it did run with mil-spec parts. Taken from this article, this picture shows what's going on with the "Angled Gas Port"

https://i0.wp.com/www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Special-Ops-Tactical-SOT-Siphon-AGP-Angled-Gas-Port-Barrel.jpg?resize=768%2C531

So not only should this improve flow and pressure, but it means that the actual port location in the barrel is further back than it is outside the barrel. I may be a little bit more questioning on a 14.8in rifle gas, but no more so than I would be with a standard 16in rifle gas. I wouldn't have any concerns with their 16in model, and if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the Triarc, is the way I would have gone. If you're running suppressed 100% of the time, I'd FO without worry.
View Quote
The length was my bigger concern due to such little dwell time. Great picture of the angled gas port. I know LMT uses them on their MRP setups.

Hope to have my barrel later this week. It's a chopped WOA SPR barrel where I measured gas port at .108. Will run with an AEM5 suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if that gas block seat is long enough to run a standard front sight base.  I guess it probably doesn't matter if the gas block is long enough, since I don't know if anyone can drill a nitride barrel for taper pins.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I've gathered the company started from former Spikes employees. I actually met the owner and his wife and at a gun show a little over a year ago, I bought a 10in rail from them. Nice people and seemed like straight shooters. I want to build a rifle with this barrel but I have other budgetary obligations that are more important right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have dealt with the owner Garrett when he worked at Spikes many times.  Pretty good guy I did not know he started his own place but good on him.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From what I've gathered the company started from former Spikes employees. I actually met the owner and his wife and at a gun show a little over a year ago, I bought a 10in rail from them. Nice people and seemed like straight shooters. I want to build a rifle with this barrel but I have other budgetary obligations that are more important right now.
View Quote
I remember hearing that as well. I bought one of their uppers a few years ago when AIM used to sell them. 16" midlength, I ended up selling it a friend who had no issues with it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The gas tube ID is only around ~.115 usually. Any bigger than that doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I decided against the pin and weld and bought the 16" instead. I should have it Friday.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the story SMM posted, they say it's a "much smaller gas port". But they don't give a number.

https://www.ar15news.com/2017/07/19/siphon-agp-angled-gas-port-nitride-barrels-special-ops-tactical/
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I decided against the pin and weld and bought the 16" instead. I should have it Friday.
View Quote
Very nice! Post updates, I'll be looking forward to hear how it does.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Very nice! Post updates, I'll be looking forward to hear how it does.
View Quote
Will do. Hopefully I'll be shooting it next week. It's cold here right now, so it should be a good test.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The length was my bigger concern due to such little dwell time. Great picture of the angled gas port. I know LMT uses them on their MRP setups.

Hope to have my barrel later this week. It's a chopped WOA SPR barrel where I measured gas port at .108. Will run with an AEM5 suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i0.wp.com/www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Special-Ops-Tactical-SOT-Siphon-AGP-Angled-Gas-Port-Barrel.jpg?resize=768%2C531

LMT's angle goes the opposite direction. They say it reduces gas port erosion or gas cutting. I am interested to hear how the op's barrel performs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#18]
They sure do have a lot of what looks exactly like Ballistic Advantage Hanson Profile barrels. Right down to the NiB barrel extension.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well if the business name is Special Ops Tactical they surely know wtf they're doing.

Hope you've got a can.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Kinda similar to what MicroMOA was doing before they closed down. Has the same angled port.  I have one of their rifle-length gas system 16" barrels, and am happy with it.  I had to open the port to .073" (IIRC) to get it to function reliably, but it's just a game-gun, and I expected to have to mess with it a little bit.  I would have bought another one, had they not gone out of business.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Doesn't a 605 have a 15" barrel, rifle gas?  I believe they were made so they could mount a suppressor, so I'm sure they got some back pressure there.  But I think they work without the suppressor on too.

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Barrel arrived. Upper almost finished.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Barrel arrived. Upper almost finished.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty worthless with them. I don't have any good light.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Anderson MFG. lightweight upper
AAC NiB BCG
Ranier Raptor charging handle
Magpul MBUS
Special Ops Tactical 16" AGP barrel
MI 15" G3 SSK-Series handguard
Q Cherry Bomb muzzle brake

Noveske lower
CMC flat single stage trigger - 3.5 lb
MOE + grip
CTR stock
JP SCS Gen 2

I only had to buy the barrel, gas block, tube and Q Cherry Bomb. The old Spikes CHF midlength barrel is for sale in EE.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a feeling I know why your rear sight is so far forward.  But I would think they're hard to use that far forward....  Maybe not.  I know they kind of get in the way of manipulating the CH when they are folded down all the way back . Sort of.   Part of the downsides of them.

Cool build let us know how she shoots.  I can't remember if you posted it earlier, do you know what size your gas port is?  .093 was it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a feeling I know why your rear sight is so far forward.  But I would think they're hard to use that far forward....  Maybe not.  I know they kind of get in the way of manipulating the CH when they are folded down all the way back . Sort of.   Part of the downsides of them.

Cool build let us know how she shoots.  I can't remember if you posted it earlier, do you know what size your gas port is?  .093 was it?
View Quote
They wouldn't tell me what size the port is. I don't have a caliper to measure myself.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They wouldn't tell me what size the port is. I don't have a caliper to measure myself.
View Quote
Hand fit drill bits.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hand fit drill bits.
View Quote
Wish I thought of that. Especially because of the picture in the story SMM posted.

We were in a hurry to get it done.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I’d like to hear how it shoots.  Been kicking around the idea of building an upper with the 14.8 or 16.1.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder why they wouldn't tell you.  That's kind of weird.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’d like to hear how it shoots.  Been kicking around the idea of building an upper with the 14.8 or 16.1.
Thanks
View Quote
Hopefully shooting tomorrow or Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought it from a shop not SOT. The guy at the shop probably didn't know and wanted to sound important.

I'll contact SOT and see what they say.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I just got back from the range and I'm impressed with how the gun felt.

I ran 120 rounds of IMI and PMC X-Tac M855 ammo through it with no failures. The outside temp right now is 62 degrees.

It was great to shoot. I can really tell the difference between it and my midlength 556. All milspec parts were used.

Parts list:
Anderson MFG. Lightweight Sport upper
AAC NiB BCG
Ranier Raptor charging handle
Magpul MBUS
Special Ops Tactical 16" AGP barrel with rifle gas
MI 15" G3 SSK-Series handguard
Q Cherry Bomb muzzle brake

Noveske N4 lower
CMC flat single stage trigger - 3.5 lb
MOE + grip
CTR stock
JP SCS Gen 2
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice.  I bet that is a super nice shooter!!!  I remember a few people that have done 605's had said they are one of their favorite rifles and have a lot of fans when they let people shoot it.  If I ever do a Vietnam era build, that's what I'd like to do.   Although I'd probably do like you and just do 16" and not do the exact length they used to avoid attaching the muzzle device permanently.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The reply from SOT about how small the gas port is.

"We don't disclose that information but it's small."

I ordered the 9.2" barrel and this time I'll hand fit some drill bits. The only question then would be if the gas port size is different for each barrel length.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The reply from SOT about how small the gas port is.

"We don't disclose that information but it's small."

I ordered the 9.2" barrel and this time I'll hand fit some drill bits. The only question then would be if the gas port size is different for each barrel length.
View Quote
It should be.  Measuring the 9.2 barrel probably won't tell you what the 16" or 14.8" is.  every barrel length is going to have a different port size spec to run properly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It should be.  Measuring the 9.2 barrel probably won't tell you what the 16" or 14.8" is.  every barrel length is going to have a different port size spec to run properly.
View Quote
That's what I figured.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn this place costs me money.

I picked up one of their 16.1" rifle length gas system barrels.  I ordered it Tuesday, and it I just got the delivery notification a few minutes ago--that's pretty damn fast!  So fast that I don't have the rest of the parts I need for the build, so it may be a few weeks before I get it to the range.

I am skeptical of any business named things like "Special Ops Tactical," but I'm willing to give them a shot.

I'll post some feedback after I get it built.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I picked up one of their 16.1" rifle length gas system barrels.  I ordered it Tuesday, and it I just got the delivery notification a few minutes ago--that's pretty damn fast!  So fast that I don't have the rest of the parts I need for the build, so it may be a few weeks before I get it to the range.

I am skeptical of any business named things like "Special Ops Tactical," but I'm willing to give them a shot.

View Quote
If possible, please measure the gas port.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I received my 9.2" today.

A 1/16 drill bit fits snugly in the gas port, a 5/64 will not go in at all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jimmyheadgear

A #48 drill bit, which is .076", fits perfectly in the port.  This makes me confident that it will work properly, as that is the exact same size I had to open up the gas port on my MicroMOA 16"/rifle gas barrel to make it work.  The barrel itself looks very well made, with an attractive finish and nice laser etching.  I'm hoping it is accurate.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I emailed Garrett Potter a while back about these barrels. He said these were designed to run with a milspec carrier, a standard buffer spring, and an H1 buffer, although he said he would not go heavier. There is not enough bearing surface for a FSP, so they won't work for a traditional dissipator build. From the looks and sounds of it, they should make a reliable soft shooting rifle. The 14.8 is pretty interesting and I'm curious as to exactly how much handguard you need to cover your gas block but not obstruct the muzzle device in any way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought a 16" mid SOT from AIM several years ago and it has performed flawlessly with good fit/finish.  I had heard good things about Garrett and figured I'd try one out.

It lives in my mom's closet now as her primary hd and I have as much faith in it as any other AR I've got.  I had her shoot the Mossberg 500 12ga that I had given her for that purpose and let's just say that wasn't working out.  She tried the AR and could easily stay on target and manipulate all controls.

Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I emailed Garrett Potter a while back about these barrels. He said these were designed to run with a milspec carrier, a standard buffer spring, and an H1 buffer, although he said he would not go heavier. There is not enough bearing surface for a FSP, so they won't work for a traditional dissipator build. From the looks and sounds of it, they should make a reliable soft shooting rifle. The 14.8 is pretty interesting and I'm curious as to exactly how much handguard you need to cover your gas block but not obstruct the muzzle device in any way.
View Quote
Same here with the 9.2". I got a M.I. 7" handguard and it barely covers 1/4 of the gas block. I was talking to Garrett about some different options but he hasn't got back to me in a couple of days so I went with a BCM 8". If the guard is actually 8" it should be fine. Any more and I'll be cutting it close.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@jimmyheadgear

A #48 drill bit, which is .076", fits perfectly in the port.  This makes me confident that it will work properly, as that is the exact same size I had to open up the gas port on my MicroMOA 16"/rifle gas barrel to make it work.  The barrel itself looks very well made, with an attractive finish and nice laser etching.  I'm hoping it is accurate.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Report back with your results when you get it finished.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Same here with the 9.2". I got a M.I. 7" handguard and it covers about 3/4 of the gas block. I was talking to Garrett about some different options but he hasn't got back to me in a couple of days so I went with a BCM 8". If the guard is actually 8" it should be fine. Any more and I'll be cutting it close.
View Quote
I was kinda hoping Giessele had an option that would work. I wanted to put a 14.8" on my "trainer" and then Giessele all the things. I'm not sold on having all their things, but I'm sure it would make for a great rifle. I run M.I. on my dissys and I love them, but they're lengths didnt seem conducive of what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the update!  I might just grab one of those barrels.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Finally finished the 9.2" upper. It's replacing my PSA 10.5". I was having a hard time finding the right handguard because of the gas block position on the barrel. I wanted the handguard to cover the gas block but leave the threads exposed for my silencer. I went with a BCM Alpha 8". A 7" was too short, and I didn't want to have to cut down the 9"

It still leaves a little bit of the gas block exposed, but it's close enough.
Attachment Attached File

It weighs a hair under 7 pounds without a mag.
Attachment Attached File

I'm happy with how it turned out so far and I can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#50]
@JJREA

A big negative.

The one with a suppressor is not a 605 it is a 603. That can is a reflex style.  https://the-eye.eu/public/WorldTracker.org/Law%20Enforcement/Suppressors/HEL%205.56mm%20Supressor%20for%20%20M16A1.pdf
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top