BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think OD green started going away after Army went to the ACU.  OD is timeless in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
OD green is badass. This is my favorite looking build, as simple as it is.
Is this now an official post your OD green rifle thread?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Many places, such as here in the wet areas of the Pacific Northwest, green is far more common than desert brown colors like flat dark earth.  For that reason, I have preferred OD, and other shades of green. Just as flat dark earth works really well in the deserts of Iraq, and Afghanistan, green works better here.

The other color that would work really is the muddled dark brown (sort of mud puddle color) that the wild rabbits have over here.  Often, if they don't move, they are really hard to spot.  Mudpuddle brown with black flecks in it...just like dirt.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Black is just about the most out of place color for a rifle in all environments except possibly in pitch darkness and stick out like a sore thumb. OD or FDE are far more practical choices for nearly anyone concerned with staying concealed.

Nice OD rifles! Would love to see more. Noveske "bazooka green" is sick too!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not all Green is OD green.   Some greens are "Forest Greens" and other shades that can make getting your stock, grip, panels or forearm from different makers a challenge to match...

Your Receiver is OD, but your forearm is Forest Green...

But that said, I like the OD Green Thing on a couple of my ARs.
View Quote
I prefer nonmatching.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Huge fan of OD green. Then again I was AF, we painted everything OD green. Which didn't make much sense.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
This was circa 2006ish IIRC and really only used the bi-pods when bench/prone shooting. OD Armalite AR10

Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My Appalachian Brother! For some reason the FDE/Coyote Brown, I like during the Spring/Summer/Fall months for me at least in my personal opinion, it works better then you would think, I do agree OD Green is a nice touch and does wonders here as well, but was pleasantly surprised on how well FDE/CB does in the Appalachian Terrain! I would still like more options than FDE/Black/OD Green/Sig Sauer Stealth-Gun Gray/Burnt Bronze Though.
View Quote
Hillbilly's unite!  I really do like Coyote Brown and darker FDE too.  In fact, at the moment my pistol build is a bit of a mix, which I think looks kind of nice.  It's just the really sand-colored FDE that doesn't seem to suit too well except during the winter.

Pistol Build
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Thats sick! Love the OD/FDE combo
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I outfitted my first AR with all ODG furniture.  I now FDE all the things because I like it a bit more, and it has the bonus of being less toasty to the touch than ODG if it's been in the sun a while.

Ive also thought of rattle canning some CavArms rifles ODG, just because
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I agree with dressing for your environment.  Is Mossy Oak just not tacticool enough to be adopted?
View Quote
Some Mossy Oak Bottom Land is something I could get behind! works well with my shotgun

But since we're not there yet, I love my ODG KISS (to me) rifle

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Some Mossy Oak Bottom Land is something I could get behind! works well with my shotgun

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413139/6720-2_jpg-805791.JPG
View Quote
Never been done before
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Another trend that I like:

Daniel Defense RIS II (also MK18):

Vortex Razor 1-6x II:

Troy SOCC Carbine ("military brown"):

In general, getting rid of black on your rifle is a good idea, if you want to blend in.  Black rarely occurs in nature (away from volcanoes, anyway) and can really stand out.  Even at night, true blacks are noticeable.  I like browns, tans and greens.  Which is best will depend on the environment that you're in, but I would rather be in a green area with a brown/tan rifle or a tan area with a green rifle, than in either one with a black rifle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In general, getting rid of black on your rifle is a good idea, if you want to blend in.  Black rarely occurs in nature (away from volcanoes, anyway) and can really stand out.  Even at night, true blacks are noticeable.
View Quote
Any darker color...including some of the OD Greens showing up in this thread...will stand out to the human eye even at distance. Mid to lighter color shade/tone/tint is a key factor in making it harder for the human eye to distinguish an object, especially at distance.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think OD green started going away after Army went to the ACU.  OD is timeless in my opinion.
View Quote
Yep, a lot of manufacturers transitioned to that awful "foliage green" color.

OD is much better.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#19]
OD is a nice looking color but is functionally black.

RAL 8000, Coyote, Magpul MCT all are better colors, even in green environments.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OD is much better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OD is much better.
Bathroom green was awesome!
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Even in a lot of the (US) desert I think something along the lines of ranger green works better than FDE.    And it works in places where a lot of the OD greens are a bit too saturated; I think some modern manufacturers miss the "drab" part.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413139/6720-2_jpg-805791.JPG
Never been done before
I'll be damned. and kinda hard...
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Even in a lot of the (US) desert I think something along the lines of ranger green works better than FDE.    And it works in places where a lot of the OD green are a bit too saturated.
View Quote
I have been saying this here on arfcom for a long time. Foliage green (and especially RAL 8000) is a very versatile color. There are very few places that it doesn't do exceptionslly well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Never cared for FDE on equipment or rifles myself. If I lived in a desert then tan colors would make sense, but I live where its 'green'. All my camo stuff is foresty green because the point of camo is to match your environment. I like black for tactical night missions
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve always stuck with FDE or Black for my builds.  I snagged an OD Geissele rail and decided to do an OD build and really like it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ranger green for the win
View Quote
Harumph
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#28]

I still like green, my mk18ish clone has green furniture on it too, just no pics of it...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Poo brown seems to work here year round (Central VA).
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 2:47:36 AM EDT
[#32]
This thread is timely.
Went to parts box to build a Hughes Precision lower that's been sitting around. Found an OD grip and stock I'd forgotten about.

Just put it together and I really like the look.

Now I need an OD rail.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I think brown is going to end up being the big thing. Think dry soil. A brown with a little grey to it. It's the only color that is naturally occurring in every environment, because it's the true color of death.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Almost finished
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OD is a nice looking color but is functionally black.

RAL 8000, Coyote, Magpul MCT all are better colors, even in green environments.
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Green is the chameleon of the earth colors. It just works.

All these pics are of the same rifle wearing Aervoe OD green, which is (in my opinion) very close to RAL8000 or foliage green...depending on the light.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I love the OD green. i've got two OD AK's, and I'd love to do another AR in OD.

I've got a AR build that's about 10 years old from the height of the GWOT, so it's FDE with all the accompanying gear. Other AR's are black or camo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Painted this one up for my son around 08'
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:41:52 AM EDT
[#39]
I just need that CH and maybe the buffer tube.
Not too sure about giving up my LWRC iltra compact stock though.
Already have a OD G rail.

Just don't need another rifle ATM.

[img]https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/191040/49472141_10218405959369378_1640350672945676288_n_jpg-809681_JPG-811883.JPG[/im
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top