Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2018 1:59:32 PM EDT
I want a gun with a light bcg. I've seen some say they need an adjustable gas block others dont. Whats your opinion or experience in the current year?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve ran a Smith Enterprises aluminum carrier for years without an adjustable gas system, back when it came out there were no adjustable gas systems.

I do run a Wolff XP action spring.
View Quote
Nice. What gas length?

I like the the adjustable but I've run a couple SLR which is considered the best and after a few hundred rounds they become un adjustable with build up. This has been my experience with all brands I will go with SLR if I need to because if you complain they will probably throw you a free one, excellent service.

I will break down an upper if it has bad gas problems before I put a adjustable on a build anymore.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but with a Spring CO Blue or Wolff XP spring.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I want a gun with a light bcg. I've seen some say they need an adjustable gas block others dont. Whats your opinion or experience in the current year?
View Quote
In my 3 Gun AR I ran a JP LMOS with an Odin Works adjustable gas block, and Tac Com reduced recoil spring.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I did, didn't like it, I wouldn't recommend it. Biggest problem is the extraction process speeds up. You can slow it down by increasing the spring rate but the amount required to properly delay unlock Is excessive and in my opinion far from ideal. It does work for the most part.  When reducing bcg and buffer weight you would ideally increase spring rate and decrease gas flow. If you do not wish to change your gas block then look into adding an adjustable gas key to the lightweight carrier. I have an RCA key on my aim lw bcg with a strike industries flat wire spring. I also have a rifle with a 2A regulated bolt carrier that has adjustable gas built in. Works great.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd used a lightweight carrier in a gun with a Faxon 20" gunner barrel (rifle length gas) and it ran just fine with a very smooth recoil impulse.  The same goes for an 18" intermediate gas rifle I have.

Both guns use carbine weight buffers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve ran a Smith Enterprises aluminum carrier for years without an adjustable gas system, back when it came out there were no adjustable gas systems.

I do run a Wolff XP action spring.
View Quote
Same here, but with a rifle lower and carbine gas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replys. Think I will tryba regular block and break the upper down if it doesnt work

Or could I just use a adjustable gas key? I can say I've never even considered one before, are they as reliable as an adjustable block I wonder
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I run one on a .300bo 8.5" upper, but that's under gassed with subs and would not cycle an FA BCG.

With an AIM Surplus lightweight BCG it cycles subs with a std. buffer & Sprinco yellow spring and for supers I swap in an H2 & std. spring.

My preference is a slow & heavy BCG, seems to work best with all my variant calibers that had issues running a standard setup. Seems to smooth out the felt recoil impulse.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top