Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2017 8:28:10 AM EDT
I was offered one on trade and not being familiar with these. What your thoughts?  
Can't seem to be able to find much information on them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not worth it. 
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO polymer has no place on a centerfire AR receiver, especially when you can get a good aluminum lower receiver for under $50. I'd maybe use one for a rimfire build but even that would be a big maybe.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuk RRA's and there poly lower
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuk RRA's and their poly lower
View Quote
I came to say the latter, but both statements are correct
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's not worth it. 
View Quote
Came here to say this.^^
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Anything RRA or Springfield can keep on walking. I won't and I suggest to others, that our money isn't lining their political pockets.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IMO polymer has no place on a centerfire AR receiver, especially when you can get a good aluminum lower receiver for under $50. I'd maybe use one for a rimfire build but even that would be a big maybe.
View Quote
My thoughts were possibly a 22 pistol build.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anything RRA or Springfield can keep on walking. I won't and I suggest to others, that our money isn't lining their political pockets.
View Quote
Totally understand this. But it's a trade so per say not giving them any money.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Alot of guys run them on .22 LR build or lightweight builds.

I'm sure RRA poly lowers are the same as any other.

I am no fan of poly though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why would you use polymer? For the weight savings, because your not loosing much weight compared to it's integrity.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  My thoughts were possibly a 22 pistol build.
View Quote
What are you trading?  Aluminum lowers are down to $39 and falling.  Was the plastic lower first assembled as a rifle?  If so, it won't work as a pistol build - you'd have to SBR it for $200.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might as well be trading with Hillary
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sir that's below the belt.
You cut me deep with that comment.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What are you trading?  Aluminum lowers are down to $39 and falling.  Was the plastic lower first assembled as a rifle?  If so, it won't work as a pistol build - you'd have to SBR it for $200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  My thoughts were possibly a 22 pistol build.
New stripped receiver. No problem there.
Wouldn't spend the money on a
stamping it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sir that's below the belt.
You cut me deep with that comment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#16]
RRA politics aside, I still wouldn't do it. The only polymer lowers ever proven to work well seem to be the Cavarms style.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
RRA politics aside, I still wouldn't do it. The only polymer lowers ever proven to work well seem to be the Cavarms style.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Great forged lowers are being sold right now at fire sale prices. The market is better at this moment than any time in the last ten years.

Why buy polymer? Why? Why? Why?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]
3-4 oz savings... Not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
The only polymer lower/frames I've seen sold by RRA are 1911 pistol frames made of Polymer.  RRA has some pretty expensive 1911's pistols and the ones I shot were gtg.  Unless it's a new product I've never heard of a polymer AR-15 lower receiver from RRA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The only polymer lower/frames I've seen sold by RRA are 1911 pistol frames made of Polymer.  RRA has some pretty expensive 1911's pistols and the ones I shot were gtg.  Unless it's a new product I've never heard of a polymer AR-15 lower receiver from RRA.
View Quote
They didn't offer them for long. It looked just like Plum Crazy/NFA/etc.

Here's an old thread on them.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/669711_RRA_polymer_lower.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I would not recommend a poly lower,....especially from RRA.

If you must, find a PlumCrazy lower
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#23]
As a guy who ran a Plum Crazy & New Frontier Armory poly lower for years I'm in the 'pass on polymer' camp too.

Never had any issues with the Plum Crazy but I also babied it as well. Just a range toy, and I already had two ARs on aluminum lowers.

Both lowers had all polymer parts as well. The NFA FCG malfunctioned and started double tapping, when I opened it up the pivot portion of the hammer had started to deteriorate, so I replaced both FCGs with steel ones.

Later I helped a friend put his first AR together and gave him the complete NFA lower. Ran fine for a year til he sheared off the retainer pin (also polymer) for the front takedown pin. Then we found a complete PSA lower on sale and he upgraded and gave it back. Later when swapping grips half the grip screw threads fell out of the receiver. Right now I'm just using it to hold a .300blk upper upright in my safe as I'm out of shelf space.

I tried to swap the RRA aluminum lower on my 9mm carbine w/ramped bolt with one of the poly lowers (can't remember which one) when it still had the plastic FCG. Wouldn't work, hammer would not reset. If you want this poly lower for a pistol caliber/.22 build you'll need the 'blowback' hammer if the FCG is plastic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#24]
When aluminum receivers are $40-60, I see no reason so skimp out and save a couple bucks when you could have a far superior receiver for a minuscule amount of extra cash.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't pay a nickel for polymer lower, let alone a RRA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Since you already have it, slap a truck gun together or a pistol that you're not going to shoot much. I have a 300 BO on a polymer lower that has shot just fine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd rather a skeletonized aluminum lower if I needed light, I've owned poly lowers and don't care much for the feel and question their reliability even though I haven't had one fail on me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top