BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 27
Posted: 7/29/2015 12:54:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M249_junky]
I know there have been a few threads on the USMC Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle over the years. Word is there were only about 100 ever fielded but it is still a cool build.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/389104__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Show_us_your_SDM_R.html&page=1

The SDM-R specs. Per Wiki that I can only assume some of the guys here contributed to.

The original test weapon was a modified M16A4 rifle with a free-floated 1:7 stainless steel match grade heavy barrel, a "M1913 modular rail system" (this most likely implies the use of the Knight's Armament Company Free-Floating Rail Adapter System) and an M16A1 trigger assembly (semi and full-auto functioning). A number of day optics were used initially, which included Hensoldt Blitz, Leupold CQ/T, ACOG, Leupold TS-30A1 and ultimately the Leupold TS-30A2. The test night optic was the AN/PVS-17B, apparently now being fielded with USMC combat units though the AN/PVS-22 is preferred.

The later SAM-R was roughly a modified M16A4 pattern rifle:

• Upper & Lower Receivers: The lower and upper receivers are standard M16A4. The SAM-R has a standard M16A1 single-stage trigger installed, which allows limited use as an automatic rifle, ammunition permitting (See Mk 262 Mod 1), but there also have been examples using Knight's Armament (henceforth referred to as KAC) two-stage match triggers. The SAM-R is also equipped with a PRI M84 Gas Buster charging handle system and a Norgon ambidextrous magazine release.

• Barrel: The barrel is a 20 in (510 mm) long 1:7.7 in (200 mm) twist match grade stainless steel barrel, manufactured by Compass Lake Engineering from Krieger blanks. Current SAM-Rs are equipped with 'chipped' flash suppressors to allow attachment of the KAC M4 quick-detach sound suppressor, while earlier examples were fielded with standard compensators.

• Sights & Optics: For iron sights, the SAM-R uses the KAC 600-Meter flip-up rear sight. The first SAM-Rs used a custom Quantico-built gas block with bayonet lug and Picatinny rail on top. A KAC flip-up sight was mounted on that rail. Some intermediate models used separate gas blocks and barrel attached bayonet lugs. Current rifles are built with a special KAC-made gas block that has both a flip-up sight and a bayonet lug. The issued day optic is the TS-30A2 (military designation for Leupold's Mark 4 M3 3-9 x 36 mm MR/T Illuminated riflescope) mounted with ARMS #22 high rings, the same configuration used with theMk 12 Mod 0/1 SPR, though more recent photos indicate the four-power Marine Corps Rifle Combat Optic ACOG is also used at times. The folding front sight mentioned earlier was designed for use with the AN/PVS-22 Universal Night Sight.

• Handguard: The SAM-R uses the KAC Free-Floating Rail Adapter System, which provides a modular mounting location for all types of equipment. SAM-Rs are usually seen with Harris swivel bipods attached to this rail via ARMS #32 throwlever mounts.

ETA Posted the wong pic and adding more info.

Per request I'm adding in the Army SDM-R rifle to the thread as well.

Specifications[edit]

• Barrel: The 1:7 twist, 20-inch (510 mm) barrel from the M16A2 and A4 were replaced with a stainless steel Douglas Barrels 1:8 twist, 20-inch barrel, with 12 flutes cut into the barrel to reduce weight. The front sight block was installed with 4 set screws instead of two taper pins. The SDM-R retained the A2-style flash hider.

• Handguard: Daniel Defense M4 Rail 12.0 handguard, with an octagonal aluminum collar locking it to the upper receiver. The handguard provides a free-floating Picatinny rail forend.

• Bipod: A Harris S-L bipod attached to an ARMS #17 throw-lever rail mount was mounted to the underside of the handguard. Since the handguard was free-floating, it did not come into contact with the barrel, and any pressure from the bipod on the handguard did not deflect the barrel.

Link Posted: 6/4/2019 10:11:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Damn fine looking SAM-R!

Please tell me you've shot her!!!!

ETA: Throwback pic for top of page!

Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I will sale my KAC gasblock and KAC rail. Both are new in box. I thought I’d see if there was any interest here before they go on eBay.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the KAC fsgb & Rail still available?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell yeah there’s interest lolol.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a used FSGB for sale on gunbroker for about $1500.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I emailed the guy multiple times and can’t get a response from him.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#7]
In other news, how bad of a f***up is it to use the ARMS #41B-L in place of a standard A2 sightpost on an SDM-R?
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cscott90x:
In other news, how bad of a f***up is it to use the ARMS #41B-L in place of a standard A2 sightpost on an SDM-R?
View Quote
Bad. If you want to use an ARMS #41B and call it a DMR or whatever else you'd like, that's fine but then it doesnt belong in this thread because it's not a SAM-R. I suppose you could use an A2 FSP and call it a SDM-R, if I recall off the top of my head and then you could post here. Again, it wont be a SAM-R though. I think substitutes were discussed a few pages back and it's a hard no go.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I know it wouldn’t be a SAM-R lol, I’m definitely going SDM-R with that one. I found a DD M4 12.0 with the “octagonal “ collar, AND a proper MIL/Gov restricted roll marked A2 lower. I just wonder how much of an insult it would be to use the 41B-L with it.

I do want to build a SAM-R, obviously clone correct with a FF RAS and the KAC folding fsgb, but I have a better chance of winning the lottery at this point 🙃
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
I've also learned there were a lot of personally owned scopes mounted on different guns. To me it seems totally plausible. I just caught hell on a regular basis for pushing the idea.
View Quote
The 2.5-8 is the only thing I dislike about my SAM-R.

Just can't make myself ditch it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By USGI:
There is a used FSGB for sale on gunbroker for about $1500.
View Quote
And I thought the $475 I paid for a new one was bad.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Huge shouts out need be observed. First however, some back story.

I managed to source, as noted not far above, the appropriate Savannah marked DD 12.0 w/the appropriate “octagonal” locking collar from the EE. Unfortunately, this bit of dinosaur tech did not have it’s timing/antirotation pins.  The fine gentlemen who run the parts and archives departments at Daniel Defense managed to stash and consequently dig up for me, quite possibly the last spare set of those anti rotation pins, excluding their archives.

Second, and bar none the biggest shouts out to @5pt56 who has come through in the most clutch fashion of all time to supply me with a proper KAC Locking Front Folding Sight. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman

Needless to say, y’all know what’s going down now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#13]

I managed to source, as noted not far above, the appropriate Savannah marked DD 12.0 w/the appropriate “octagonal” locking collar from the EE. Unfortunately, this bit of dinosaur tech did not have it’s timing/antirotation pins.  The fine gentlemen who run the parts and archives departments at Daniel Defense managed to stash and consequently dig up for me, quite possibly the last spare set of those anti rotation pins, excluding their archives.

Second, and bar none the biggest shouts out to @5pt56 who has come through in the most clutch fashion of all time to supply me with a proper KAC Locking Front Folding Sight. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman

View Quote

Glad to pass it along to you brother!
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
So your building the SDM-R and SAM-R?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Happy New Year.

-Incorrect optic setup removed. it won't be getting an MR/T because it's my 1000yd setup in .224Valk. I wish someone had pics with a 3-15 NF, that would be tits on this.
-Turner/MRT sling soon

Carry on.

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#16]
btt
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:
btt
View Quote
Yeah it died in here :(

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

https://i.postimg.cc/cLz5FXPG/IMG-20200129-160811214-HDR.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
btt

https://i.postimg.cc/cLz5FXPG/IMG-20200129-160811214-HDR.jpg
Looks good 'Blue. Was considering one of these but the front sight is unobtanium. Guess I'll stick to the MK12.

Found an aluminum replica used on something Colt had made at CDNN, thought about hiding a small gas block under the handguard at midlength...then thought better of it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve got another SAM-R being assembled by D.wilson I’ll post up soon. He’s doing another project that I’ve been wanting forever. Totally stoked it’s happening. I had another fsgb so figured might as well. Can’t have too many SAM-R’s.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]
whats the next best front sight to use ? im dying to break on that 20'' compass lake. and don't want to wait twenty more years for a front sight base.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
whats the next best front sight to use ? im dying to break on that 20'' compass lake. and don't want to wait twenty more years for a front sight base.
View Quote
Being in EU I opted for an old Vltor clamp on gas block
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Where this is a mill, there is a way.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#24]

View Quote
@HaveBlue83 Go ooooooon
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

@HaveBlue83 Go ooooooon
View Quote
Yes, it's on
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
LOL! Tried to reply to your IM but your box was full. Sneaky machinist. Good job.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#27]

LOL! Tried to reply to your IM but your box was full. Sneaky machinist. Good job.
View Quote
Cleared it out lol.

I may or may not have $15 into this gas block. I may or may not have 3 spares.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Cleared it out lol.

I may or may not have $15 into this gas block. I may or may not have 3 spares.

View Quote
I may or may not, scratch that, definitely know of a rifle in need!
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, but u gotta do some things and stuffff to it.

Good luck i aint giving away my secrets. I waited 2 years to make a SAM-R. lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]
does this work ?

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#32]
does this work ?

View All Quotes
does this work ?

Says it's for rimfire, so no gas porting. Looks like it's made of steel (opposed to the cast AL the like the others out there), so in theory, it could be machined to accept a gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Says it's for rimfire, so no gas porting. Looks like it's made of steel (opposed to the cast AL the like the others out there), so in theory, it could be machined to accept a gas tube.
View Quote
Its pot metal steel, not suitable for hot gas temps: fair warning.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Texan556] [#34]
Figured I should add to the archive, sorry about the picture quality. I was a designated marksman for 3ID & carried a SDM-R into Iraq 2007. Now I am finally getting around to building a clone for myself, I loved that rifle dearly and can't wait to have my copy finished!

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the original documents for the SAM testing in 2003, someday I'll get them all scanned into a PDF to share with you guys. Some pretty cool info in there!

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Tired of the shiny so I pulled the barrel and cerakoted it black

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#37]
bump for GWOT

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 9:48:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#38]
Wrong tab.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Wrong tab.
View Quote
the Sammy is GWOT as F, good sir :). I couldnt find this thread...had to google it, it was so far back.....Lol
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#40]
the Sammy is GWOT as F, good sir :). I couldnt find this thread...had to google it, it was so far back.....Lol
View All Quotes
Wrong tab.

I wasn't refuting your post, I replied to this thread when I meant to reply to another.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#41]
My dilemma right now is....I finally acquired the proper KAC folding sight/gas block and the FF RAS rail, but I'm trying to justify building yet another AR-15 (as much as I truly love to do it as well as my first AR-10 style) right now when I feel I have a good mix of SBR's/16" carbines/20" intermediate range rifles (MK12 Mod1 suppressed, 20" A2).  So beyond the upper/lower set that I already have...I need to buy barrel, optic, BCG, FCG, stock, etc..   As I've spent the past 10+ years building out my collection, but now realizing I want/need other preps for SHTF/unrest (NOD's, body armor, laser/thermal aiming, etc.)..and a shortage of trigger pullers in the house (wife and 3 daughters), its hard to justify now.  Same issue with the basic parts I've acquired for a MK11 Mod 0 build....that gets even more complicated and expensive.  

So sell those key parts or hold for the future?

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#42]
i suggest this:
part out the mod 1 to make the SAM-R. take optic, rings, rail. you have the gas block, you MUST SAM-R it.

-take remains of mod 1 and build the correct Mk12: Mod 0, and put whatever 3-12 ish optic you  want on it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:
My dilemma right now is....I finally acquired the proper KAC folding sight/gas block...

View Quote

How good are your chances of finding another one?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#44]
still a lovely platform to prone out and relax with....

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I gotta stop looking at this thread. I can't stomach $1500 for the FSGB, but I also can't stop the want from bubbling up. C'est la vie.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#46]
How hard is it for someone to reuse a KAC gas block that has been mounted to a barrel with taper pins previously? Uhh,  Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#47]
if you cheat, the fsgb only costs $29.95 + mill time :)

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Originally Posted By NukeThemTillTheyGlow:
My dilemma right now is....I finally acquired the proper KAC folding sight/gas block...

I would score that pretty low.  Since getting the one I have, I have not been searching for them, so I'm all ears
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I gotta stop looking at this thread. I can't stomach $1500 for the FSGB, but I also can't stop the want from bubbling up. C'est la vie.
View Quote

I know what you mean!  I thought about going the SDM-R route with an FSB but I can't find the Daniel Defense M4 Rail 12.0.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
After seeing what they go for now, I should've bought more when I got mine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top