Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 7:38:55 PM EDT
This may be a dumb question but i'm down to one AR now so I don't have any reference on me.  Anyways... I was taking my brake off and putting an A2 and noticed the muzzle was pretty rough across the entire front surface (not just exposed area in pic)... i don't know if it was carbon buildup or what (it didn't look like your standard rust) but it felt rough to the tough.  I tried to scrub it off but wasn't really happening and i didn't want to get too aggressive in that area.  This is a photo with the muzzle device on... if it is hard to tell from this pic I can remove the FH and get a better pic but was just wondering how y'alls muzzles looked and felt under the MD.  The rifle is at approx 2k about 50% suppressed.  The rifle hasn't been cleaned in about 400 rounds but I typically clean every 500 or every 2-3 weeks depending on what comes first.  Thanks and sorry if its a ridiculous question.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Totally normal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Totally normal.
View Quote

FPNI. No need to worry, keep on shooting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Great... Figured but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some type of maintenance step.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The green stuff?

That's from copper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Bore cleaner. Try it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Copper oxidization is what causes the blue color. The one and only time I ever used Hoppes Elite gun cleaner in a bore, it left a metric fuck ton of the oxidized copper fouling inside my flash hider. Was not what I expected to see back then lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Totally normal.
View Quote

Yep.  That blue/green is copper, the black/grey gunk is carbon.

I did have an A2 FH "weld" itself to my muzzle one time with carbon (you can see all the crap in the pic);  ended up having to carefully cut it off.  It's a tough area to clean, about the only way is to soak it and then go at it with some dental picks.  Be careful, though, you don't want to mess up the crown.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The green stuff?

That's from copper.
View Quote

wasn't worried as much (really at all) about the green stuff... it was that the texture that was my biggest concern... i didn't know if it would cause some sort of weird uneven pressure when the MD was torqued on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I did have an A2 FH "weld" itself to my muzzle one time with carbon (you can see all the crap in the pic);  ended up having to carefully cut it off.  It's a tough area to clean, about the only way is to soak it and then go at it with some dental picks.  Be careful, though, you don't want to mess up the crown.

http://i.imgur.com/Hc3X8Ss.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Totally normal.

http://i.imgur.com/Hc3X8Ss.jpg

Kroil is your friend here. Soak it for a few days and give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
That copper build up is a good thing. It means you actually use that rifle.

I have two rigs that I ran around 3k rounds through collectively suppressed without removing their cans or doing any form of cleaning or maintenance. Nearly the entire muzzle devices looked like that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never seen one of my rifles look like that.  I'd be pissed if it did.

I shoot it, I clean it.  Mine are clean, lubed, rounds in the magazine and ready to go.

Even when I was putting a couple hundred rounds a day through my M1A, it got cleaned every day, before I ate supper.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never seen one of my rifles look like that.  I'd be pissed if it did.

I shoot it, I clean it.  Mine are clean, lubed, rounds in the magazine and ready to go.

Even when I was putting a couple hundred rounds a day through my M1A, it got cleaned every day, before I ate supper.
View Quote

ARs are meant to be run dirty. All they really need is lube every once and awhile, and they will just keep going and going.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#13]
My X300s look the same as they hang off of my Glock 19s.  Short muzzle =  a lot of messiness on the lights.  Nothing to be concerned about, but rather, something to be proud of.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Put a few drops of Kroil on the carbon effected area. Allow to sit for a while. Use bore snake, tooth brush, something soft down in there.  Kroil is a great built up carbon solvent.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My X300s look the same as they hang off of my Glock 19s.  Short muzzle =  a lot of messiness on the lights.  Nothing to be concerned about, but rather, something to be proud of.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Put a few drops of Kroil on the carbon effected area. Allow to sit for a while. Use bore snake, tooth brush, something soft down in there.  Kroil is a great built up carbon solvent.  
View Quote

Try it - it's great. There are plenty of products that help with muzzle problems like that and the 'frozen' FH. my current favorite all-purpose gun product is really a generic auto product by Seafoam, called 'Deep Creep'. Its a penetrating, cleaning lubricant that leaves a very slick lubricant, but not a waxy solid film. I use those types too but recently picked up the Seafoam to try it out. I've cleaned two guns with it so far, a 1911 and a SIG 556R rifle. Used on a muzzle and flash hider, it would clean up and prevent those problems. You would use some kind of nylon brush with it.
Kano Labs, the maker of Kroil, has another product that would have loosened the frozen FH - 'Kreen'. It's designed to soften hard carbon in auto engines and would be perfect for that purpose as well as regular de-carboning FHs and bolt tails.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That copper build up is a good thing. It means you actually use that rifle.

I have two rigs that I ran around 3k rounds through collectively suppressed without removing their cans or doing any form of cleaning or maintenance. Nearly the entire muzzle devices looked like that.
View Quote

Yea... the AAC brake that was on it isn't as pretty as it used to be.  I soaked it in slip200 carbon killer for about 2hrs and it didn't do much.  

I do clean my light off tho with some toothpaste tho if it is looking dirty.  The reason that I was kinda concerned enough to post is that I do a lot of shooting in the rain... i kinda like it so my rifle gets wet on a pretty regular basis.... afterwards i'll get an oily rag and wipe down the outside of the barrel and other steel parts but never thought about the aforementioned area.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top