Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 10:10:58 AM EDT
I'm trying to build a clone of the FN built M16A3 rifle I carried periodically while I was in the navy, but I've got one question. I can't remember fro certain what color the receivers were anodized. Does anyone know if they were the grey color of the M16A2's and earlier, or were they the newer black color?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
All the A3s I saw were more of a gray color. But I've also seen newer A2s (2008) that were more of a black annodization.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The FN M16A4's I used in Basic and Scout School were simply black, as far as I can remember. Nothing out of the ordinary with them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The A3s I carried were blackish, not greyish.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
All the FN's I saw were A2 and black.  I've seen hundreds. I helped inventory them at several units. I
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't remember exactly off the top of my head how many M16A3 contracts FNMI had, and when - but you might be able to look at the 5.56MM Timeline and get a range of dates of contracts.  

FNMI's M16 production has had a couple of different anodizing variations, ranging from a "Sporter Gray" that had a bluish cast to it, to black.  

FWIW, again - off top of my head, without looking at it again, only FNMI and Sabre (albeit briefly) have manufactured production M16A3s, though Colt manufactured and delivered the initial M16A2E3s (which were so marked), I don't think they ever got an "A3" contract - by then I think they had largely shifted their focus to the M4 family anyways.  

Actually, though I suppose you may have remembered it more distinctly if it were the case - but there's an extremely high likelihood of purple in the mix here, as it matches the general time-period of the bulk, IIRC, of M16A3 production.  

As a "rule of thumb" you're looking at going from lighter to darker in terms of anodization, though that's not an ironclad rule.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. It appears that I'll need to try and find a pic of me with my rifle, as according to the responses y'all have given, both colors may have been produced on FN M16A3's.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
So, I found a picture of me with the rifle, and it had the grey finish. Now my next question is, does anyone know of a good source for a grey A2 style lower? I know about NoDak, but I believe they are usually heavily backordered. Any others you guys know of?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, I found a picture of me with the rifle, and it had the grey finish. Now my next question is, does anyone know of a good source for a grey A2 style lower? I know about NoDak, but I believe they are usually heavily backordered. Any others you guys know of?
View Quote

Posting a WTB add for a grey McKay A2 lower is probably your best bet.

" />
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s417/midwestmarksman/Mobile%20Uploads/0002-11/A9F10EE3-47E0-41CE-8A99-B79A5F311661_zps31wpltga.jpg</a>" />

This -

You might also want to post in the A2 sub-forum, since a semi-auto A3 clone is going to be the same thing as an A2 clone - a couple of guys have done some beautiful early A2s with gray receiver sets.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This -

You might also want to post in the A2 sub-forum, since a semi-auto A3 clone is going to be the same thing as an A2 clone - a couple of guys have done some beautiful early A2s with gray receiver sets.  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s417/midwestmarksman/Mobile%20Uploads/0002-11/A9F10EE3-47E0-41CE-8A99-B79A5F311661_zps31wpltga.jpg</a>" />

This -

~Augee

Thanks guys!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top