Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 12:20:09 AM EDT
My post seems to have dissapeared . . . trying again

My featherweight AR build is coming together really well. As it stands right now my complete gun with M16 BCG without optics is coming in around 4 lb 10.5 oz (on an analog scale--accurate digital scale on order).

I can drop this another ~1.1 oz with the Manimal FS (on order already)
another 4.7 oz with a BoomFab Titanium BC (on order already)
and another 0.5 oz with an aluminum mag release, aluminum buffer retainer, and titanium-core safety (no decision on these items yet--the first 2 add up to about .25oz and are super cheap, the latter is no more expensive than competitor's short throw safeties--a little cheaper actually).

Meanwhile, I learned that I have a heavy thick aluminum butt plate on the gun weighing about 2.25oz (2.6oz with the steel screws). I want to go to a polymer buttplate (might as well go for a trap door for functionality) and either nylon or aluminum screws (hardware store).

The question is which polymer trapdoor buttplate?
I don't like the lack of checkering on the milsurp: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/555720.htm
DPMS makes an all checkered one but the door part appears to be metal.
RRA makes an all plastic one that people say is really strong plastic but I can't find a picture anywhere.

Does anyone know a good buttplate choice and what the exact weight is?

Mike

PS. This build is part challenge/bragging rights but I also see this gun having a place slung on my back when hiking/backpacking. I have not pinned the FS yet but have tested the upper on my NFA registered SBR lower and found the fluted pencil barrel to be capable of 2 MOA groups (with a 3 MA red dot).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My post seems to have dissapeared . . . trying again

My featherweight AR build is coming together really well. As it stands right now my complete gun with M16 BCG without optics is coming in around 4 lb 10.5 oz (on an analog scale--accurate digital scale on order).

I can drop this another ~1.1 oz with the Manimal FS (on order already)
another 4.7 oz with a BoomFab Titanium BC (on order already)
and another 0.5 oz with an aluminum mag release, aluminum buffer retainer, and titanium-core safety (no decision on these items yet--the first 2 add up to about .25oz and are super cheap, the latter is no more expensive than competitor's short throw safeties--a little cheaper actually).

Meanwhile, I learned that I have a heavy thick aluminum butt plate on the gun weighing about 2.25oz (2.6oz with the steel screws). I want to go to a polymer buttplate (might as well go for a trap door for functionality) and either nylon or aluminum screws (hardware store).

The question is which polymer trapdoor buttplate?
I don't like the lack of checkering on the milsurp: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/555720.htm
DPMS makes an all checkered one but the door part appears to be metal.
RRA makes an all plastic one that people say is really strong plastic but I can't find a picture anywhere.

Does anyone know a good buttplate choice and what the exact weight is?

Mike

PS. This build is part challenge/bragging rights but I also see this gun having a place slung on my back when hiking/backpacking. I have not pinned the FS yet but have tested the upper on my NFA registered SBR lower and found the fluted pencil barrel to be capable of 2 MOA groups (with a 3 MA red dot).
View Quote

You have an aluminum butt plate??  What kind of stock is it?

Les Baer sells a plastic A2 buttplate with no trapdoor that has rounded edges and minimal checkering,  Additionally, there is a plastic GI M16A1 buttplate available that has rounded edges, minimal checkering, and a trap door.  This pic of one of my rifles has that buttplate installed.  Kind of hard to see in this pic due to under exposure.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
We have no idea what stock your using. Your post lacks specific info. I assume your using a rifle stock. If you want to shave weight, get a collapsable stock?

I've never ever used the compartment in the stock other than boot camp (had to).
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought my post was pretty darn specific.  I'm looking for an A2 style buttplate (the entire thing checkered, not just the door as in the A1 style) in all plastic (both the body and door polymer).

I ended up ordering a RRA all-plastic buttplate.  I have yet to receive it.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Original thread was moved to the correct place
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top