Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 11:03:12 AM EDT
last time i shot my ar15 i did not had a single issue, when i was cleaning i notice that one gas ring gap was bigger than the others, should i replace it to prevent issue?

http://i61.tinypic.com/1zodezc.jpg
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a broken ring.  I'd order a set to be prepared, but I wouldn't replace it until you start having issues unless it's your HD weapon...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
i wonder how it broke, i only shot maybe 500 to 600 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

whos the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

whos the manufacturer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

whos the manufacturer?

the ar is a diamondback db15, like i said i recently took it out to the range and every shot was consistence and i didnt get any failure, that ring i notice it like that while i was cleaning it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd replace all three of the rings and keep an eye on the new set....if it happens again you need to really look into what's causing it, if they are good after 4-500 rounds though I'd figure the original set was just a dud.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen gas rings destroyed in less than 700 rounds before...replace and drive on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I would report it to the manufacturer with an email.  Then I would replace all three rings as rings should be replaced as a set, not one at a time.  I would see if this bolt repeated this behavior.  If it repeated it I would ask for customer service on the item.  A trade out on the bcg.  You should get thousands of rounds out of a gas ring set.  You setup will perform with only one gas ring, it is a redundant system.  And the gaps have no need to be staggered.  It will function perfectly if the ring gaps are all lined up.   I would, and do, keep several sets of gas rings on hand.  Gas rings are an item you want plenty of just in case.  I don't know about guns I have gotten rid of but I have never had to replace any rings on any AR's I own.

Wet lube is good preventive maintenance by the way.  But sometimes what you got just happens.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

the ar is a diamondback db15, like i said i recently took it out to the range and every shot was consistence and i didnt get any failure, that ring i notice it like that while i was cleaning it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whos the manufacturer?

Did you lube before shooting? And you shouldn't have had an issue as long as the gaps aren't aligned. But replace ASAP and grab yourself an extra QUALITY bolt. These things happen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Did you lube before shooting? And you shouldn't have had an issue as long as the gaps aren't aligned. But replace ASAP and grab yourself an extra QUALITY bolt. These things happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

whos the manufacturer?

Total myth gas ring alignment has zero bearing on performance.  Lube is an excellent point though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Total myth gas ring alignment has zero bearing on performance.  Lube is an excellent point though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

whos the manufacturer?

Gap is 100% myth but lube is not you must lubricate the rings just like the rings in your car engine.
Replace rings and shoot on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
last time i shot my ar15 i did not had a single issue, when i was cleaning i notice that one gas ring gap was bigger than the others, should i replace it to prevent issue?

http://i61.tinypic.com/1zodezc.jpg
View Quote

You should only have an issue if all 3 rings fail.  You really only need one for a proper seal, the other two are just there as failsafes.  In anycase, it's a cheap and easy replace so you may as well do it and see if the problem persists.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top