Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2013 2:45:38 PM EDT
Disclaimer: I apologize because it has been covered to an extent. I've done numerous searches on Google and have read a couple threads. I do searches on here but I rarely get results, not sure if I'm doing something wrong...

I decided to not think yesterday and while installing a Griffin comp I had a ton of difficulty with it's timing.  I had no experience with shims before yesterday and it was a headache.  I had several failed attempts, maybe I misunderstood Griffins directions but it calls for 30ft pounds of torque and to be honest, beyond hand tightening, the comp would barely move.

I failed miserably to get its timing and had to go just beyond 30ft/lbs(probably no more than 40-45) to time it correctly.  However I did not like the idea of so much pressure being applied to the end of the barrel or its threading, so I  immediately removed it. I settled for playing with the shims again until I got it hand tight and could lightly torque it into position.

My question is, should I be concerned about those failed attempts causing any possible damage? I'm not an accuracy snob, I prefer active scenarios and CQC training. Ultimately I doubt I've screwed the pooch but I won't be able to hit the range for a short while and this is going to bother me.  I'm far from light on my rifles, dont care for cosmetics, but I'm OCD when it's possibly mechanical.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If it came with other shims and you messed with them them your fine. As far as the over tightening it as long as the threads were still good you will be fine. You didnt strip anything and you replaced it within the factory specs so dont worry you will be fine
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I think your fine in both scenarios.  If you really pulled the threads it'd probably be obvious.  You could double check with another muzzle device if you have one.

I had a hard time timing one of my barrels and ended up a little beyond hand right with a washer (minor crushing).  1000 rounds down the pipe and it hasn't moved a bit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you! Can't help it, my mind will do circles til I go out and shoot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top