Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2013 8:54:08 AM EDT
Thinking of putting together an upper and just want to bounce a couple of ideas off of people here...

-  standard flat-top upper with port cover, forward assist, and M4 feed ramps.
-  14.5" barrel in either LW profile or a non-LW "normal" profile (ie.  NOT M4 profile), with carbine-length gas port.
-  low-profile gas block
-  51T Blackout FH permanantly attached (for sompatibility with AAC suppressor that is currently awaiting stamp)
-  Unknown makle/model of railed handguards (probable 9" to cover the gas block)

This upper would replace a 14.5" M4 profile barreled upper with A2 FSB and MOE handguard.  The idea here is to possibly save some weight, change the front sight out from fixed to folding, and add the suppressor compatibility.  I don't have a time frame to do this so I'll just be picking up parts as they become available.

Is anyone currently using this or a similar configuration?
Any suggestions on barrel manufacturer?  I'm thinking probably Daniel Defense.
Any suggestions for a 9" lightweight free-floated rail that will cover a low-profile gas block?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Search for Tactical Yellow Visor's charts.

He has a weight chart that shows the Daniel Defense Lite series rails as the lightest (at that time) rail platform, and they are actually a lighter setup than a "factory" configuration of and FSB, when you factor in the weight of the delta ring/barrel nut assembly.

I run DD Lite's on my rifles and they're awesome. Would definately recommend.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Search for Tactical Yellow Visor's charts.

He has a weight chart that shows the Daniel Defense Lite series rails as the lightest (at that time) rail platform, and they are actually a lighter setup than a "factory" configuration of and FSB, when you factor in the weight of the delta ring/barrel nut assembly.

I run DD Lite's on my rifles and they're awesome. Would definately recommend.

Thanks for the reply.  I was starting to think that I'd posted this in the wrong forum.    

I do like the DD rails, so I'll give the Lite rail a look.  I had a Recce upper a couple of years ago that had one and it was pretty nice.  Had an Omega rail at some point too but as I understand it, the Omega rails won't fit over low profile gas ports.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Me personally, I would go with a Centurion C4.  DD makes a phenomenal rail, and I own a rifle with an RIS II, but the rail profile on the Lite,Omega,etc. lines bugs me.  

The Centurion rails from my experiences are just as rock solid, use a stock barrel nut, and are just as light.  To top it all off you'll pry save $100 bucks over the DD.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a rifle with a 14.5" DD lightweight barrel, it comes with a lo-pro gas block. The rail is an 11" Troy VTAC, I believe 9" is too short. Muzzle device is an AAC Brakeout. Supposedly, a brake acts as sacrificial baffles for your suppressor.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a rifle with a 14.5" DD lightweight barrel, it comes with a lo-pro gas block. The rail is an 11" Troy VTAC, I believe 9" is too short. Muzzle device is an AAC Brakeout. Supposedly, a brake acts as sacrificial baffles for your suppressor.

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/riflefrontbandw.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/a/img37/5545/riflefrontbandw.th.jpg</a>

Yours is probably a midlength gas system.  He wants a carbine barrel.  I know 10" rails cover midlength lo-pro gas blocks almost completely, so a 9" should cover a carbine gas block.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top