Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 7:32:46 PM EDT
I've had this barrel around and want to use it on a .308 build.

Its got some damage in the threads that extends to the end of the barrel. I've heard there will be issues if the crown is damaged, but I don't know if this counts?

Pic:

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Crown is the part of the barrel where the rifling is visible on the edge of the "hole".(That needs to be uniform and damage free)  The threads for the flash hider will not factor in UNLESS it is crazy torqued when installing the flash hider/muzzle break.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You could also cut the barrel back, recrown, and thread it. Just send it off to ADCO.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've had this barrel around and want to use it on a .308 build.

Its got some damage in the threads that extends to the end of the barrel. I've heard there will be issues if the crown is damaged, but I don't know if this counts?

Pic:

http://www.bladerigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG_0129-e1358742497729.jpg

Thanks for the help.

How did that happen? Did you or someone else cut that groove in the threads as a result of removing a pinned flash hider? Can you still thread a flash hider onto that barrel? If so, I don't really see a problem.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It must be damage from a previous owner removing a muzzle device.

The threads work fine. I don't really want to have it cut down, don't want to take any length off a 16inch .308 barrel if I don't have to.

Sounds like I can throw it on and use it as it is.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It will shoot just fine. If you notice a lot of fliers or just poor accuracy, you may need to recut the crown. You can do it yourself with a crown cutter, just don't ask me where to get one.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could also cut the barrel back, recrown, and thread it. Just send it off to ADCO.

This is what I'd do. Have Adco cut, rethread, and recrown.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Your bore looks butt ugly. Clean the thing and use a Q-tip inserted 1/4" to 1/2" inside the muzzle and bright light reflrcting off the Q-tipso you can get a good look at the crown.

I would remeasure the barrel's length. I doubt that it is actually 16" long based on that scarred threading. It is almost certainly the result of removing a pinned suppressor to make it legal without applying for a SBR license and paying the fee.

Insert a bolt in the barrel extension and use a cleaning rod through the muzzle to make damn sure your at 16.1" or the legal repercussions become onerous. Mark the cleaning rod, remove and measure. Even the slightest question as to it making 16" means a pinned and welded flash hider must be used or a SBR permit applied for prior to assembly. Good Luck.

I recommend ADCO Firearms as well. Great work, quick service and reasonable rates.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yep.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top