Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 2:56:58 PM EDT
I have a 24 inch barrel Bushmaster Varminter. I've been looking into having the barrel threaded in order to install a compensator. However, I have a feeling threading my barrel may cut down on long range accuracy by changing the shape of the muzzle crown. Has anybody experienced an issue with accuracy changing when the barrel was threaded? At the same time, I have a feeling it may not be worth compensating a 5.56 rifle, although I appreciate all the help I can get with quick long range follow-up shots. If it is worth compensating, what kind of muzzle break or compensator would you suggest?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Opinions vary, but the conventional wisdom is that muzzle devices reduce accuracy by applying torque to the end of the barrel (the smith vortex being the exception due to its self-tightening nature). Either way, comps and brakes are almost never seen on precision rigs, unless they're QD suppressor mounts. Your rifle is not the kind one generally fires offhand (but rather from prone/bipod/rest), and you'll see virtually zero benefit from installing one. If you were talking about a short, CQB oriented rifle, it would be a different story.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, bear in mind that simply cutting the threads will stress the metal, affecting accuracy to some degree (though probably a very small degree).
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
you bought what you wanted, i wouldn't try to mod it into something its not
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. You're right, I wanted something that would be accurate at long range with minimal recoil, and I don't really want to change it in terms of accuracy or capability. If I ever feel like threading something for a suppressor, I'll probably move out west and get a .308, since the sheriffs of NC do not appreciate class 3 items.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#5]
suppressor one day for me to i hope. the noise the noise a compensator produces damn i would not want one on a varmint rifle. imho
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Opinions vary, but the conventional wisdom is that muzzle devices reduce accuracy by applying torque to the end of the barrel (the smith vortex being the exception due to its self-tightening nature). Either way, comps and brakes are almost never seen on precision rigs, unless they're QD suppressor mounts. Your rifle is not the kind one generally fires offhand (but rather from prone/bipod/rest), and you'll see virtually zero benefit from installing one. If you were talking about a short, CQB oriented rifle, it would be a different story.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I can see what moose is saying. My rifle is heavy enough that even with a subpar bipod placement I'm thinking a compensator would be of minimal help. The rifle can get four rounds on a silhouette at 400 yards within 3 seconds, so I think it already has low enough recoil (I am by no means bragging. The guy who shot it demonstrated long range rifles for a different manufacturing company so he is much more capable than I). I just wanted some input from others. I just installed a Magpul Precision Rifle Stock, so I'm looking forward to getting out to the range again. Unfortunately, there aren't many places to shoot long range without paying a large member fee around here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a 24 inch barrel Bushmaster Varminter. I've been looking into having the barrel threaded in order to install a compensator. However, I have a feeling threading my barrel may cut down on long range accuracy by changing the shape of the muzzle crown. Has anybody experienced an issue with accuracy changing when the barrel was threaded? At the same time, I have a feeling it may not be worth compensating a 5.56 rifle, although I appreciate all the help I can get with quick long range follow-up shots. If it is worth compensating, what kind of muzzle break or compensator would you suggest?

Wolfpack,

Like the others say .......I wouldn't do it. Your rifle is designed for a specific purpose and although I'm not a rocket scientist I think the compensator might change your bullet trajectory. You may have to compensate the difference at the range.

Impala
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolfpack,

Like the others say .......I wouldn't do it. Your rifle is designed for a specific purpose and although I'm not a rocket scientist I think the compensator might change your bullet trajectory. You may have to compensate the difference at the range.

Impala

The "compensating" effect happens after the projectile has left the bore because the gases are behind the projectile. However, there are other factors that are rooted in having something attached to the end of the barrel.... harmonics, etc..

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
No reason for how you are using your rifle. On my M4gery I wanted a comp for decreased muzzle rise when firing multiple rounds quickly. I tried the Battlecomp 1.5 as they are the most popular comps being used currently. I wasn't really impressed. I tried the M4 SD II a few days ago and was amazed at the difference. Now for me and my needs the M4 SD II Flash Comp  has done exactly what I wanted it to do. But this rife is completely different than yours. I also have a Colt 6700 HBAR 20" Rifle length gas system with no muzzle threads. It may look a bit strange to some with no muzzle device, but this rifle is very accurate. I will not be adding the M4 SD II to this rifle because it is used for the type of shooting that the M4 SD II wasn't designed to help. YMMV?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top