Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 11:52:39 AM EDT
I have an M-4orgery (16" barrel, short hand guard).  I like the look of the midlength rifles.  My question is, do you guys put the mid-length handguard over a low profile gas block and keep the short gas tube or do you go with a longer gas tube?  If it's the later, do you have to change anything else like the buffer or spring for the increased gas tube length.  I would like to keep it simple and not change anything but the handguard if possible.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#1]
easy way would be to shave down gas block and put a full floating hand guard on there. but then you still have the carbine gas system, which despite what everyone on here says works just fine for 99% of arfcom. or you can buy a mid length barrel, FSB and gas tube and then attach that and any mid length hand guard
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm happy with the operation of the short gas system, just want the extra length of the handgurd.  I'm just not sure if a low profile gas block will fit under a free float tube without contacting it.  What is the advantage of increasing the length of the gas system.  I can see if I wanted to add an adjustable gas block but not at this time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You can purchase a low profile gas block or shave down your FSB if you have one and it will fit under just about all free float tubes.  Me I would go with rifle length handguard for a dissy look
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't change the gas system easily. If you want a Midlength gas system buy a Midlength barrel.

shave down the FSB to fit whatever extended Handguard you get or buy one with a cutout for the carbine FSB
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is the advantage of increasing the length of the gas system.

Mid-length gas systems have softer recoil due to decreased gas system pressure.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replys.  Looks like I want a low pro gas block and mid length free float hand guard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
One more question...is 13" considered mid length?  I'm talking about the hand guard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can't change the gas system easily. If you want a Midlength gas system buy a Midlength barrel.

shave down the FSB to fit whatever extended Handguard you get or buy one with a cutout for the carbine FSB

Define "midlength barrel".

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One more question...is 13" considered mid length?  I'm talking about the hand guard.

9".

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
No, 9" is the length of a mid length hand guard. But I don't know why you keep talking about gas length as it sounds like you want to just give yourself a longer rail. Rail length has nothing to do with the gas system. For guns with a FSP, if it has a mid length gas system, it uses a 9" rail to butt up to the FSP. Carbine is 7".

For your carbine gas system, any hand guard you choose over 7" will need a low pro gas block (or shaved FSP) to go under the rail.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Once you go with a low pro gas block or shave down your front sight block, you can choose whatever length hand guard / rail that you want as long as it's a free float. Here's a link to what I just did. Kept the carbine gas length and just covered it up.

Link. Ignore the comments on how ugly my carbine was before I added the rail.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barrel with a Midlength gas system.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Just get the midlength handgurard and slide it on over the low profile gas block.  I actually had a carbine with a FSB and my gunsmith, who is very competent, shaved off the FSB and made it into a gas block that was still pinned in place.  I just slid on a midlength handguard and worked just fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks BillyJack, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#17]
If you're not going to change the barrel, there's no reason to buy a low profile gas block.  You already have a gas block that's been pinned twice to your barrel.  Just shave it down.

Hardest part is convincing yourself to actually do it.  It is as good if not better than any low profile gas block you're going to buy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine came with a flat top gas block like BillyJack's so I'll have to replace it.  I want a hand gurd that goes past the 204 notch so I'll have to measure how long that is.  Guess I'm maybe talking about rifle length and not mid length, just don't know the terminology yet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrels will have a small hole drilled into them called a gas port. The gas port vents gas from the barrel into the gas block which in turn sends it down the gas tube to act upon the bolt carrier. When barrels are manufactured the gas port is drilled at a specific length to match a specific gas system (typically carbine-length, mid-length, or rifle length). A "mid-length barrel" is one that has the gas port drilled at the length needed to work with a mid-length gas system.  

Hope that helps...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mine came with a flat top gas block like BillyJack's so I'll have to replace it.  I want a hand gurd that goes past the 204 notch so I'll have to measure how long that is.  Guess I'm maybe talking about rifle length and not mid length, just don't know the terminology yet.

My pic above is a carbine length with a 9" handguard

This is a midlength with a 10" handguard

Don't have any rifle lengths.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When talking about handguards that will mount both at the barrel nut and gas-block/FSB (original equipment, drop in 2 piece rails, or Magpul MOEs) people usually use the carbine, mid-length, or rifle designation as they need to be a specific length to match that gas system. When referring to free float tubes, free float rails and the like it is easier to just use the length of the handguard in inches to describe it. It only attaches at the barrel nut (free floating forward of that) so gas system length is irrelevant as long as the rail clears the gas block...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My pic above is a carbine length with a 9" handguard

This is a midlength with a 10" handguard

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Covertness/LaRue10.jpg

Don't have any rifle lengths.

good lookin rig. LIKE!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top