Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:01:44 AM EDT
So I started to put together another rifle. The lower is from Rainier Arms.

The Lower is outstanding and Rainier is awesome to work with. (I live about 2 miles away from their shop/warehouse, which I don't know if it's a good or bad thing).
I went with my must have noveske QD end plate, and the noveske 60 degree safety. The larue APEG grip is OK, but I had to add some stippling on the front and back for better grip.

So I'm looking for suggestions on what the rifle should be.. I'm thinking a 16" barrel, 12 or 13" rail or tube, vltor flash hider, larue handstop, magpul sights, and GRSC 1-4 optic in bobro mount which I already have. It will get a 1-6 or 1-8 eventually. I may get a bipod with QD mount. Not sure yet.

I want a semi-precision rifle, kind of like a recce.

I have the tools to put together an upper, but I was considering a complete like this from PSA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not a complete Noveske Afghan upper from Rainier?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+1 to this or even a Noveske 16" RECCE SS upper. I actually had both for a few years and they were very accurate.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Afghan and the 16" NST and my Afghan is a little more accurate with 62gr X-TAC
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there any particular reason you chose a car length gas system over a mid length? I like what you are looking at, but I would go with the longer gas system. A good quality chrome lined barrel is good enough for semi precision any day. If you plan to add a scope and bi-pod I would recommend you try to keep the weight of the basic package sans loaded magazine/scope/bi-pod under 7 pounds.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there any particular reason you chose a car length gas system over a mid length? I like what you are looking at, but I would go with the longer gas system. A good quality chrome lined barrel is good enough for semi precision any day. If you plan to add a scope and bi-pod I would recommend you try to keep the weight of the basic package sans loaded magazine/scope/bi-pod under 7 pounds.

No particular reason, that's just what the palmetto upper is.

The Noveske afghan looks great. I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on Noveske...Nice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I am watching this one.

I have a CMMG 2 stage lower just sitting here.

I was wanting to go SBR, but you may convince me with that Afghan.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Noveske Afghan all the way.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder how a Rainier barrel like this http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2832 or http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2267 would compare to the afghan?

As far as triggers go, I have been very happy with the spikes battle trigger in my other rifle. I may just stick with the stock trigger group and I'll upgrade if I feel it's negatively affecting my accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#11]
If you get the Afghan then put in a Giessele SSA-E or similar trigger...you will then realize the potential of the Afghan...it makes a HUGE and I mean HUGE difference...
Here is 50 yards...aimpoint PRO...20 rounds 62gr X-Tac...relatively rapid fire from my afghan
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you get the Afghan then put in a Giessele SSA-E or similar trigger...you will then realize the potential of the Afghan...it makes a HUGE and I mean HUGE difference...
Here is 50 yards...aimpoint PRO...20 rounds 62gr X-Tac...relatively rapid fire from my afghan
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m12/gqllc/4fe3b0fc.jpg

I'm glad to see the Afghans love 62 grain X-Tac so much. I just ordered 1,500 rounds of it to go with my new Noveske Project Ares, which ships with Noveske's 14.5" SS barrel.

Can't get her out to the range until next Friday though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 16" Noveske NST ,a single stage trigger with a Leoupold 2-7X and it does not shoot as well as my Afghan with 62gr X-TAC
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The PSA M4 upper you linked looks like a great deal with a quality rail. What BCG were you considering to go along with this?

Have you checked out the Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle? They are listed as out of stock on their website but perhaps you handled one at the shop. I am seriously considering this over the BCM Gunfighter on my current build.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The PSA M4 upper you linked looks like a great deal with a quality rail. What BCG were you considering to go along with this?

Have you checked out the Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle? They are listed as out of stock on their website but perhaps you handled one at the shop. I am seriously considering this over the BCM Gunfighter on my current build.

Yeah, I'm back to looking at 14.5" with pinned vltor vc-1 flash hider.

The rapter charging handle is too big for my taste.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top