Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:07:37 PM EDT
Well after some thought i am thinking of this set up but i have a question, how is the finish on the PSA uppers? Aare they durable and as good as like BCM,DPMS,BM Etc?

This is what i a thinking for my build for around $700, thoughts please as long as the finish is good on the PSA uppers...

Bushmaster 556/223 lower with BM kit (free)
PSA MOE M4 kit (545 shipped)
Rear Magpul folding sight gen II (40)
2 pos sling (25-30)
Front handle for Magpul (25)

so all in all 645 and a little extra for rail attahcment for a light, then later on a dot sight...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well after some thought i am thinking of this set up but i have a question, how is the finish on the PSA uppers? Aare they durable and as good as like BCM,DPMS,BM Etc?

This is what i a thinking for my build for around $700, thoughts please as long as the finish is good on the PSA uppers...

2 pos sling (25-30)

so all in all 645 and a little extra for rail attahcment for a light, then later on a dot sight...

As good as any other brand, but finish doesn't really matter compared to quality of material vs price that the PSA gives.  I just built a 20" using one of their FN uppers, and it is really nice.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

2 pos sling (25-30)

If I were you, I'd skip the Magpul rear BUIS and find a used Matech on the EE here for the same price. I'm not a fan of the MBUS
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 pos sling (25-30)

looks nice! i mean with the psa upper it has the m4 ramp, chrome lined, 1/7 twist and everything you look for in a upper,fn machining, ETC.... i do not think i can go wrong, but i may be wrong which is why i am posting this.

As good as any other brand, but finish doesn't really matter compared to quality of material vs price that the PSA gives.  I just built a 20" using one of their FN uppers, and it is really nice.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/springfield1911/DSC_1130.jpg

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a few lowers over the holidays, they have  a good finish, unlike my .22 upper. (not from PSA)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a PSA 20" upper with an FN barrel a few months back. Finish on the upper was a spot on match to my Rock River lower and it prints some very impressive groups. I am using a BCM bolt carrier group I have over 700 rounds through this build now without a hickup.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
PSA is good stuff for a great price

I am a big fan of LMT products, but in the last year I have ordered 3 PSA rifle kits and can honestly say that I am just as happy with the PSA rifles as my LMT

The 16" M4 MOE kit would be a good choice, 2 of the kits that I ordered were the standard M4 kits

My most recent purchase was a 16" Middy kit HERE for $579 with the MOE kit

By the way you could get a Matech BUIS from the EE or EBay for around $40, and its a lot better sight IMHO

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
finish looks great, just built my first one a few months ago.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I am looking at the none fn and forged hammer kit. So would the finish still ne the same n worth buying?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#10]

I like it.. but to me the finish Looks dull on the uppers compared to other companies I see. Or is it just me?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's one I picked up during black friday. Fit and finish is excellent IMHO. Albeit it doesn't match the Stag lower, but it is very consistent.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I just put together two PSA rifles (both uppers and lowers) in the last couple of months.
Just from putting the lowers together I'm sure they have just as good a finish as any I've seen before.
I had a little trouble putting in the bolt stop pin on one and thought I had scarred the finish through the duct tape.
The tape was torn off but the finish wasn't hurt one bit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Wally... Thanks for the pic!  See what I mean about a semi duller finish? But all I'm all it has everything u need internal wise!  Please if anybody has close up pics keep em.coming. I'm either going with a spikes or Bm .lower and is there a huge dif with the fn/hf barrels or finish wise compared to the regular m4 I am looking at getting?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just put together two PSA rifles (both uppers and lowers) in the last couple of months.
Just from putting the lowers together I'm sure they have just as good a finish as any I've seen before.
I had a little trouble putting in the bolt stop pin on one and thought I had scarred the finish through the duct tape.
The tape was torn off but the finish wasn't hurt one bit.

thanks Dan..I just want to make sure Il be happy with the m4 barely and kit and the matching with thelower I get..

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wally... Thanks for the pic!  See what I mean about a semi duller finish? But all I'm all it has everything u need internal wise!  Please if anybody has close up pics keep em.coming. I'm either going with a sand is there a huge dif with the fn/hf barrels or finish wise compared to the regular m4 I am looking at getting?

Our receivers are Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2.  If you spray them with synthetic gun does any other company use that finish process? oil

and wipe them down they will have a much deeper finish.  This is the only close up I have on hand.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6134/6002635760_42f4c2eee2_b.jpg

wow! Thank u very much for chiming in and sharing that with me! It helps a lot.. I love the m4 moe kit and the only thing stopping me was not knowing if the fizonish would match up or be un dull if u will... Does any other upper use this finish or all of them r tje same?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#17]
After a Breakfree CLP wipedown.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]
My PSA looks as good as my RRA, Spike's, or BCM.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wally... Thanks for the pic!  See what I mean about a semi duller finish? But all I'm all it has everything u need internal wise!  Please if anybody has close up pics keep em.coming. I'm either going with a sand is there a huge dif with the fn/hf barrels or finish wise compared to the regular m4 I am looking at getting?

Our receivers are Black Hardcoat Anodize per MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2.  If you spray them with synthetic gun does any other company use that finish process? oil

and wipe them down they will have a much deeper finish.  This is the only close up I have on hand.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6134/6002635760_42f4c2eee2_b.jpg

wow! Thank u very much for chiming in and sharing that with me! It helps a lot.. I love the m4 moe kit and the only thing stopping me was not knowing if the finish would match up or be un dull if u will... Does any other upper use this finish or all of them r tje same?

First off, the finish is supposed to be dull, so I don't really understand what you're worried about.  Maybe it's the difference between shades of gray versus flat black; I've seen a lot of new lowers and uppers go from slightly varied shades of dark gray to black with application of some CLP.  Anyway, I've built two PSA rifles with their lowers combined with their uppers.  Lay them on the floor next to my Spikes, BCM, Colt and Stag rifles and the diffferences in appearance aren't worth discussion.  Smear a bunch of oil on them and they'll get shinier for awhile, but that's a big so-what.  My buddy has a Rock River A2 that is distinctly glossier, dry or oily, and from what I've noticed that's pretty much what RRA wants their guns to look like, so maybe you should take a look at one of their products if that's what you're looking for.    

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top