Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 3:44:58 PM EDT
I've had my mind set on saving up for a top notch AR in .308 but money burning hole in my pocket!   I had no idea PSA even made uppers? Prices seem real reasonable but I have not heard anything about them in terms of quality?   i can do a pretty nice quality build for cheap if I use my BCM BCG I have layin around.  Just know nothing about PSA stuff.  Sounds like better barrel than if I went the DSA upper route.  Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA is all the rage these days. Guess only time will tell. They seem to be well made from what people are posting.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
hundreds of threads about PSA over the last few months
Google search them

Basically all the specs are there and the prices are great, just havnt been around long enough for any long term testing.

I have some of their stuff ( Lower/LPK/BCG) and would not hesitate to buy one of the 4150 or Hammer forged uppers
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
bought the 16" M4 Hammer Forge Upper on SUnday.. got it in 7 days in hand..

shot 400 rounds in 1 outing.. shot 800+ so far with 0 issues.. incuding 60 rounds of CHEAP TulaAmmo.

GTG in my instance..

sometimes they miss the small parts.. (and an email gets that fixed)

2 guys had issues with possibly mis-aligned feedramps (still functioned just people whining before contacting PSA)

just IMHO nomal growing pains..

DON'T order on a holiday sale weekend when they have <$50 lowers... they get deluged.. and you'll get impatient..

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks, i'll google!  been out of the loop i guess!  Have $1,500 to work with. Could almost do 2 builds (DSA & PSA).  DSA would be KISS rifle.  Just kind of how i'm leaning.  My BCM build happened this way last year when I had all the intention of getting a 7.62 but BCM BCG's were on sale and another .223 was born!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I had misaligned feedramps, but it runs fine and I have no failures in 200 rounds of PMC X-Tac. Not many rounds, but I haven't seen anything that would make me suspect that its reliability will change.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
thanks, i'll google!  been out of the loop i guess!  Have $1,500 to work with. Could almost do 2 builds (DSA & PSA).  DSA would be KISS rifle.  Just kind of how i'm leaning.  My BCM build happened this way last year when I had all the intention of getting a 7.62 but BCM BCG's were on sale and another .223 was born!

Why not just build one really nice rifle this time around with all of the parts that you always wanted?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You must have not looked around very hard theres tons of postings about there quality here, but to answer your question, Yes, there gtg
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You might consider this also: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/549226_Palmetto_State_Armory_Patrol_Carbine____999_99_.html

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
evlblkwpnz,  i did build my quality BCM rifle from the bolt on up.  These 2 would just be for the arsenal....
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
They seem to have a problem lining up barrel extensions with receiver feedramps.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
evlblkwpnz,  i did build my quality BCM rifle from the bolt on up.  These 2 would just be for the arsenal....

Beaters? That is what I got my 20" PSA upper for. Didn't realize that you were just wanting to add a couple of inexpensive pass-around units. For myself, I start out wanting to throw a couple rifles together that will be cheap and dependable, and then end up loosing the whole "cheap" part of the builds. PSA has some pretty inexpensive rifle kits.... just add lower. I've been thinking about getting one as well.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a PSA 16” mid-length upper with Magpul MBUS rear sight and MOE hand guard. $515 shipped. I ordered late Tuesday afternoon and received the upper Wednesday morning of the following week. I have yet to shoot it, but everything looks GTG so I’m expecting good things out of this upper.

I picked up one of their lowers when they were just $50, but then of course I ended up ordering one of their MOE lower build kits to go with it. I had no intention of building the lower. My plan was to just sit on the lower and build kit. Well, fast forward a few weeks and magically I had a completed lower sitting in my safe screaming for an upper! See, and people warned me about this addiction, but I didn’t listen!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
What are the issues with misaligned feedramps?  Even for cheap I don't like buying something knowing there is a flaw.  Or is it TOTALLY neglegible? Pardon my noob-ness.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What are the issues with misaligned feedramps?  Even for cheap I don't like buying something knowing there is a flaw.  Or is it TOTALLY neglegible? Pardon my noob-ness.

It depends on how ARFCOM feels about the company that makes the upper.  If ARFCOM loves the company then it is no big deal; if not then the opinion will be that your rifle will fail when you need it most.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One person posted some pictures that looked way off. Every one slammed PSA claiming it was junk. Guy took rifle to the range and it worked fine. Might have been the angle of the photo.

I swear I don't know how any of us got by before M4 feedramps.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I plan on adding a PSA upper to a spare lower I have that I can use as a cheap stash rifle. Good price and they seem to be holding up well from what everyone reports. For the price I am willing to try one out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If I had $1500 to drop on a rifle, I wouldn't be in any hurry to run to the lowest bidder. Im not knocking anybody or anything, thats just me.

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One person posted some pictures that looked way off. Every one slammed PSA claiming it was junk. Guy took rifle to the range and it worked fine. Might have been the angle of the photo.

I swear I don't know how any of us got by before M4 feedramps.

If you look around, there was more than just one.

As for who did it making it matter or not. To me it does, just like Colts shitty fit and finish. Its a sign that is obvious that theres some care and attention to not just one thing, but everything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I got one of there cheap lowers, best deal in my book imho.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I recently built two lowers with their lpk, the kits went together nicely and quality appears good.  I am debating an upper but their customer service pissed me off more than once.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top