Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2011 2:13:00 PM EDT
I have an Olympic Arms I bought back in the mid 90's, someone bought it as a complete lower and add the top parts to complete it. I was wondering if the bolt carrier is a full auto version? If it is a full auto is it illegal to use it in a semi auto rifle? Also how do you tell who the manufacturer is, the only thing I can see on it is 2007 electro penciled on the side? The bolt itself has MPC on it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's a full auto carrier. That's actually a full auto Colt XM16E1 carrier made in the '60s. Before other manufacturers got contracts to build M16's, Colt didn't mark their carriers. It's identifiable by the large firing pin retaining pin hole on its right side, and it should have two round (or square) stake marks atop the carrier key.

ETA: It's not illegal to use it in your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
To add: it's an auto carrier because both the top and bottom of the rear of the carrier are the same length.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The Guy I got it from did a lot of work on Schofield Barracks in Hawaii and had a lot of friends in the Army, they might have been lunch box specials as they say. The upper is Colt and the barrel is marked CMP Nato 5.56 1/7. I know it is a 1 in 7 twist and CMP is Colt.

Steve E.........
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You could probably sell it for a pretty good price to someone over on the retro forum
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the letters, I tried to use the 'Search' feature but couldn't get it to pull anything up.

Steve E......
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It is a full auto carrier, but you are fine to use it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top