Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2011 3:50:20 PM EDT
I hope i posted this in the right place. Was at the range last week shooting my ar with a friend. A guy down the rangewas having problems with his new dpms 556. It would shoot then jam done the same thing for about 20 rounds, he asked if someone had any oil so he could put it on bcg. Well he got some i asked why he put so much oil in his gun he said the place where he boight it from said he had to run dripping with oil. He had oil running out every pin, trigger. I was wandering if any of you guys have heard of this , because i have not. I thought u just use a light cote of oil correct me if i'm wrong. Just wanted to see what you guys think.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My AR loves to be dripping wet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
A properly built carbine should work up to about 2000 rounds with no lube, using quality ammunition. This doesn't count extreme conditions like a receiver full of powdery dust.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The question becomes did it help? Incidentally, I keep mine well lubed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like his is probably undergassed
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A properly built carbine should work up to about 2000 rounds with no lube, using quality ammunition. This doesn't count extreme conditions like a receiver full of powdery dust.

I would like to know where you got that information...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't need to be dripping wet when new. I don't run mine that wet for casual practice, plinking or even drills. If it's dirty or Im outside the wire I soak the BCG pretty good and keep it that way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont know how to feel about that, I need a shower now!

Quoted:
My AR loves to be dripping wet.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like first rate bullshit to me. No soldier ever did that in the Nam, esp me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
i like mine to spray me in the face
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Common practise is to describe the BCG as being "wet" with lube but that naturally means different things to different folks.

Many brand new guns are quite rough and somewhat tight and if the new shooter is useing lower powered 223 ammo instead of
full power 5.56 he will be right on the edge of malfunction and will likely run better overlubed than underlubed

I generally put a couple of drops on the bolt carrier and smear it around with my finger,a good drop on the cam pin and another two on the bolt lugs.
This is pretty generous and I have seen plenty of folks use plenty more but any more than I use and it just flies off with the first couple of shots,
Other than the mess it doesn't hurt anything.

I have seen other folks go right from the gunshop to the range and try shooting a brand new gun without any cleaning or oil . They come crying to me that their
gun is "broken" untill I grab my bottle of CLP and cure all their problems.

One guy had a brand new Bushmaster with acog and a big Rubbermaid tub that must of had 40 loaded mags in it but he didn't buy or bring a single drop of oil
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Was he using steel case ammo?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep mine pretty wet, but it doesn't necessarily need to be.  Some rifles prefer more lube.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
In my experience when someone is having issues with any gun at the range, it is caused by a lack of lube. Not always but 70% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I take the NEW upper apart.. I put some Mil-Tec TW25B on the bolt, carrier edges, rings..

then I put some in the channel where the charging handle 'rides'..

then I reassemble the mess..

then just before I bag it to go to the range I drop 2-3 drops of Hoppes #9 oil on the Bolt Carrier.. open it up and drop 2-3 more in the upper itself..

thats it.. then go blast away..

when I come home (after UPTO say 350 rounds).. it still is 'wet' with oil..

I then take it apart and clean the BOLT.. and if theres alot of carbon gunk.. I will delouse it.. and re-lube as in the 1st step with the Mil-Tec only.. and put it away..

this weekend I will be trying some 50-50 Synth 5-20 Motor Oil.. dripped on as I would use the Hoppes (as noted above)..

since when I say Hoppes Oil.. people on here think I'm talking Hoppes SOLVENT for some dumb reason..  

I figure the Mil-tec is GTG and just a few drops of oil so I don't feel left out with a DRY gun at the range..  
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Running "wet" is usually an overstatement. This is a holdover from the Viet Nam era when rifles were issued without cleaning kits or oil at all and the GI's were told they didn't need cleaning. When they ran dry and wouldn't function, the legend was born that they needed to be soaked with oil to run. In other words, an overreaction.

Oil your AR like the machine it is. Excess oil doesn't do anything for friction reduction ... it just flies off and gives you shiny hair.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Especially on a new gun, I put several drops of CLP into the key hole, a couple in each carrier vent holes, a drop or two on the pivot pin.  Then a drop or two on each of the 4 surfaces of the carrier that contact the upper receiver.

This isn't soaking wet, but it is wet.  The CLP really keeps carbon fouling down inside the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I like to run my rifles wet, i bring a spray can of clp to the range with me, put a few squirts on the bcg and its good to, just remember to wear glasses cause itll splash you lol
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M4 fouling myth

the writer got to 2400 rounds on a bone dry, and im talking completely stripped all the lube off the rifle dry DPMS 16" M4
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M4 fouling myth

the writer got to 2400 rounds on a bone dry, and im talking completely stripped all the lube off the rifle dry DPMS 16" M4

Reading that makes my head hurt, and seeing the EOtech 6" above the bore makes me wonder...
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like to run my rifles wet, I bring a spray can of clp to the range with me, put a few squirts on the bcg and its good to, just remember to wear glasses cause itll splash you lol

I shoot bone dry all of the time, but bring oil with me.

I believe it wouldn't hurt unless you were in a very dirty environment.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M4 fouling myth

Reading that makes my head hurt, and seeing the EOtech 6" above the bore makes me wonder...

its not that hard to read, and despite his choice for running an optic so high above the bore he still makes very good points
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have an hour to try and find them but I've read more than a few times of people running a thousand or more rounds dry pretty easily, double that and then some for fancy-coating guns.
It's one of those "prove a point" things I guess.  I wet mine some, if I had a gun that had to be spraying oil on my glasses as I shot it, I'd get a different gun. :)

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I use high temp wheel bearing grease. You don't need nearly as much as you do with oil or lighter weight lubes and it lasts a lot longer.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#25]
When I do a major clean of my ARs I use gun scrubber to clean and then every thing gets wiped down in CLP or Slip2000. The BCG and bolt I keep a decent coat of oil on, which will seep out of the gun and the first few rounds blows off the excess amounts and Im good to go.

I ran 350 rounds through my BCM 14.5 carbine AR today 200 being black box wolf with out any issue. around 100 rounds of the same ammo was ran though a bone stock bushmaster that did not have an Oring on the extractor I just cleaned it and lubed it in CLP last night and it ran perfect
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Google Filthy 14

+1 this is why I use slip2000
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i like mine to spray me in the face

You, sir, have issues.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Google Filthy 14

+1 this is why I use slip2000 and BCM carbines.  

Fixed it for you.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Google Filthy 14

+1 this is why I use slip2000 and BCM carbines and rifles.  

Fixed it for you.  

fixed the fix
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#31]
AR's are like women, they need to be well lubed before hard use.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I will put grease or mobile 1 on my bolts, works amazing
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I run mine with a few drops off oil on the bcg and ch. Rub it around to coat the thing and its good. But it is no DPMS.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Google Filthy 14

+1 this is why I use slip2000 and quality built rifles.  

Fixed it for you.  

fixed the fix

Fixed for both of yall, its not like BCM does anythig extra secret special over a quality rifle
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like his problem was the fact you noted it was a NEW gun. When I got my DPMS new there was a little slip of paper included about how to properly break in a new rifle, something about shooting 20 or 25 rounds, running a patch through it, etc. & repeating for the first 100 rounds or so. I didn't follow this advice and of my first 100 shots, maybe 10 were FTE (commercial reloads). Of course, NOW it never fails.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I like my BCG to be glossy at least.  The guts of an AR should be like the guts of an animal, gooey enough for you to need a paper towel after handling them.  Nothing I hate more than someone handing me and AR and I get a nose full of flinty reek when I check the chamber.  I frikken hate that smell, especially when combined with the nails on chalkboard sound.  

That said, sometimes heavy lube can be a band-aid for other problems.  If the gun only runs when it is dripping like the Exxon Valdez then there are other problems afoot.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google Filthy 14

+1 this is why I use slip2000

Better yet , slip2000EWL .

OP -  You dont need to lube the entire carrier . We have a Maintenance & Cleaning forum here . Click here for lube points . I use slip2000EWL , a little dab will do ya .

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I hope i posted this in the right place. Was at the range last week shooting my ar with a friend. A guy down the rangewas having problems with his new dpms 556. It would shoot then jam done the same thing for about 20 rounds, he asked if someone had any oil so he could put it on bcg. Well he got some i asked why he put so much oil in his gun he said the place where he boight it from said he had to run dripping with oil. He had oil running out every pin, trigger. I was wandering if any of you guys have heard of this , because i have not. I thought u just use a light cote of oil correct me if i'm wrong. Just wanted to see what you guys think.

The problem was he was using a DPMS, not the oil.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem was he was using a DPMS, not the oil.

My only complete AR-15 right now is a DPMS and I have never had a malfunction from it.  

I put a drop of EWL on the bolt, a few drops on BCG, and a drop in the charging handle channel.  I spread the drops around with my finger so there is a nice light coating.  I think the more lube or clp you put on the weapon prior to firing the more fouling that is going to stick to everything in your weapon.  Also out here in afghanistan, the moondust  sticks to everything. especially clp.  Its important to keep it lubed but a little bit goes a long ways
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Well did it work?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
AR's are like women, they need to be well lubed before hard use.

Does that mean I can just spit in the chamber before loading her up then?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't own a DPMS AR but there is no reason a budget priced AR can't be reliable with basic care. I have a budget built carbine that is about 1 1/2 years old now and it has only had 1 jam in the 2000 rounds I've run thru it and that was back in the first 100 rounds. Gun has been totally reliable since then including yesterday when I ran some mags thru it with no issues. My standard cleaning procedure is just run a gun snake thru the barrel with few drops of clp on it. Then pull the bcg and wipe everything down with a cloth that has maybe 10 drops of clp on it. Once everything is wiped down, 2 or 3 drops of clp on the bcg, work the action a few times and done. that CLP is great stuff!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#43]
i would assume once your rifle gets broke in, you can use less oil...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top