BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 908
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
So just an introduction to this thread - its purpose is to show off your Block II clone builds; here is a list of some of the common characteristics and equipment that the Block II M4A1s have:

THE Block II Chart (courtesy of Patriot_Man)

Barrel:
14.5" M4 or SOCOM contour barrel

Flash Hider:
KAC NT4
Surefire 4P

Suppressors:
KAC NT4
Surefire SOCOM RC

Rail System:
Early Block II M4A1s still used the KAC M4 RIS/RAS
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan
standard front sight base (if early Block II with M4 RIS/RAS)

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4 (both older CAR style and newer "LE" style)
LMT SOPMOD

some reference pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

early block II

more early Block IIs

Just to reiterate, you don't have to have an EXACT copy of a Block II M4A1 to post your rifle up here, but the purpose is to post pictures of our rifles that we've made specifically to emulate the issue Block II weapon system - if you've got a midlength carbine with an UBR stock that just happens to have a RIS II on it it is likely you did not intend the rifle be a "clone" of the newest generation M4A1, and probably doesn't belong in this picture thread.

Rifles that have no Block II components ie standard M4geries with Block I Optics do not embody the purpose of this thread and though they are nice weapons in their own right, shouldn't be posted in this thread to avoid unnecessary clutter.

Originally Posted By Augee:

The easiest visual discriminator of whether you're looking at a SOPMOD equipped M4A1 or an MWS M4 is usually the identity of who is holding it.  If it's a SOF troop, it's probably a SOPMOD M4[A1].  If it's a conventional troop, it's probably an M4 MWS.

SOPMOD = SOF
MWS = Conventional

The SOPMOD program was initially fielded in 1996, and the two have not significantly converged or crossed over at all since then, and there is almost no commonality between systems used in the two.   They are separate lines of development and evolution managed by two totally different components (Army and Navy).

SOPMOD is run by NSWC-Crane to equip SOF M4A1 Carbines with accessories.  There are two distinct "blocks" as identified by NSWC-Crane PowerPoints as the primary source of information, however, there was a "transitional period" of several years in which carbines with items from both blocks were used.  Because of a PowerPoint slide that was published (IIRC?) 2006 showing a block labeled "phased replacement," it has become the colloquial term for "transitional" configurations.

"Block x" does NOT refer, in an "official" sense to a specific configuration of rifle.  It refers to specific modifications (read accessories) to the SOF M4A1 weapon system that are managed by Crane.

Colloquially we refer to M4A1s with accessories from the first block of the SOPMOD program as "Block 1," while using "Block 2" to describe carbines with the RIS II, one of the last components of the second block of the SOPMOD program to be fielded.  Carbines with the accessories/features of both blocks of the SOPMOD program, but without the RIS II, we refer to as "Phased Replacement."  It is important to note, however, that this colloquial classification is generally limited to this thread, and others both here and on other sites that feed off of it.

The important thing to understand is that the SOPMOD program is almost always limited to SOF only, and 99% of the time, the "actual" weapon in question will be an M4A1, not an M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces weapon system, and is totally separate from the SOPMOD program and SOF modifications, though they were "inspired" by the SOPMOD program, almost every single actual item is different.

The M4 is managed by the Army overall through TACOM, though the Marine Corps also manages their own programs through their own directorates for their specific incarnation of the M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces platform, and is upgraded through modular weapon system (MWS) upgrades.  There are no specific blocks, increments, or generations, and their specifics vary by time period, unit, and MTOE.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GoatBoy: https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1/nra-lifetime-membership-415608.jpg

The NRA life memberships are on sale until March 15th at $600. This gets you a vote for your board members every year.

For those who are upset with the NRA, it is the only organization with the power to enact massive changes and protect our freedoms. The way to fix the NRA is the same way to fix this country, VOTE! The more of us with a voice, the stronger changes we can enact. This is a chance to get yourself or your spouse a membership and an extra vote. Expand our base and vote in pro-black rifle board members who will represent our interests!!!!

Head to this link to sign up!
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Testing223:
View Quote
We got it the first time... No need to spam post.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By prskiller:

That FN is phat!  I wonder if they make a 14.5 barrel like that 10.3?
View Quote
this. i'd love to buy a 10.3 and 14.5 in that profile
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel showing back in stock at brownells. Price is 308 but code NDF takes $30 off with free shipping. Not the best price but haven’t found anyone else with them in stock
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel showing back in stock at brownells. Price is 308 but code NDF takes $30 off with free shipping. Not the best price but haven’t found anyone else with them in stock
View Quote
Ive been waiting for these to be in stock and when one popped up on gunbroker for $320, I jumped on it even though its over priced. Go figure that brownells gets them back in stock the day after I order one and have coupon code on top of it. I got an upper from brownells only for the rail and the receiver sold quick, but I guess nobody is interested in 16 inch government barrels anymore because its listed pretty cheap with no interest. This block 2 build is really putting a hurting on me
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Infidel4life11] [#6]
View Quote
Originally Posted By ckopp636:

Ive been waiting for these to be in stock and when one popped up on gunbroker for $320, I jumped on it even though its over priced. Go figure that brownells gets them back in stock the day after I order one and have coupon code on top of it. I got an upper from brownells only for the rail and the receiver sold quick, but I guess nobody is interested in 16 inch government barrels anymore because its listed pretty cheap with no interest. This block 2 build is really putting a hurting on me
View Quote
I think ******* have them for $285
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:

I think *************** have them for $285
View Quote
Just as a heads up- posting that particular vendor is a no-go here, for better or for worse. They have a bad history here, especially with staff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

Just as a heads up- posting that particular vendor is a no-go here, for better or for worse. They have a bad history here, especially with staff.
View Quote
They are out of stock there and as stated, I thought they had a bad reputation around here. I had been checking everywhere daily for this barrel. the place i got my barrel from upped the price 100 bucks today so i guess they are proud of them
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

View Quote

They are out of stock there and as stated, I thought they had a bad reputation around here. I had been checking everywhere daily for this barrel. the place i got my barrel from upped the price 100 bucks today so i guess they are proud of them
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up.  OP fixed
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Just an FYI that the the add says the front sight tower is not "F" marked.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry Timbo

Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I havnt made the best moves with acquiring parts for this build, but all parts are in route. I have the non fsp rail and an upper receiver already. My plan is to shave the colt front sight rather than use a low pro block.

Parts list will be
Colt complete lower
DD FDE RIS II non fsp
Colt 14.5 socom barrel w/spacer and a2 fh (have no intentions to suppress it)
Aero upper receiver
Toolcraft bcg
KAC micro 600m rear sight
MBUS Pro front sight (stand in for the time being unless I really like it)

Optic will likely be a leupold mark ar mod 1 1.5-4x20 because Id like to try one out. Not a real "clone", but pretty close.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:02:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Infidel4life11] [#13]
Originally Posted By huey_crew_chief:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The latest batches of the Colt SOCOM's haven't had the "F" mark.  The are the correct FSP they just lack the marking.  My last 3 Colt SOCOM barrels have been like this since they went to the "Cage Code" markings instead of the Colt Roll mark.

I just zero'd my irons last weekend with a whopping 3 clicks of windage to the right.  With a 2017 barrel, FSP lacking the "F" mark.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Wonder if we'll eventually need a block III thread...

Geissele Socom Upper Receiver Group, SSP & Super 700 Triggers - SHOT Show 2018 Day 1
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:
Wonder if we'll eventually need a block III thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJilPVnvXSo
View Quote
Already have it
Official-M4A1-USASOC-URG-I-Clone-and-Picture-Thread

CD
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#16]
The latest batches of the Colt SOCOM's haven't had the "F" mark.  The are the correct FSP they just lack the marking.  My last 3 Colt SOCOM barrels have been like this since they went to the "Cage Code" markings instead of the Colt Roll mark.

I just zero'd my irons last weekend with a whopping 3 clicks of windage to the right.  With a 2017 barrel, FSP lacking the "F" mark.
View All Quotes

Thought I had heard or read somewhere that they weren't coming with F marked sight bases but they were the correct height. On the Brownells product page though it says it's the non F marked height 1.940". Glad to hear it zeroed with no problems.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:17:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#17]
Has anyone seen the Surefire Warden in use by Socom members? It fits the SF hiders/brakes and might further reduce concussion without the weight or length of a suppressor, but never seen one in the military pics.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Has anyone seen the Surefire Warden in use by Socom members? It fits the SF hiders/brakes and might further reduce concussion without the weight or length of a suppressor, but never seen one in the military pics.
View Quote
I have not, just these three plus the Yellow blank adapter.  Someone else may have better luck for you.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
No. It may reduce concussion, but it also produces a huge fireball.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Thought I had heard or read somewhere that they weren't coming with F marked sight bases but they were the correct height. On the Brownells product page though it says it's the non F marked height 1.940". Glad to hear it zeroed with no problems.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/465788/Colt-430879.JPG
View Quote
Brownells also said that their Complete Colt Lowers were NOT LE6920s and I received 3 LE6920 lowers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

I have not, just these three plus the Yellow blank adapter.  Someone else may have better luck for you.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_0341_rz-430960.JPG

CD
View Quote
Thanks CD. Figured as much but wanted to check. What's that lower one? Don't think I've seen one of those.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Thanks CD. Figured as much but wanted to check. What's that lower one? Don't think I've seen one of those.
View Quote
SOCOM Mini Monster
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

SOCOM Mini Monster
View Quote
Only one National Guard ODA has shown up with them.

CD
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#24]

CD
View Quote
Thats interesting. Have you ever seen a full size version around?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

SOCOM Mini Monster
View Quote
Learn something new every day
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#26]
So I picked up this offset mount for my B2 M4A1 upper and am having trouble finding any info on it. I know it is the same style as the Predator mounts and am assuming the logo engraved on it probably stands for Matt Burkett? I've never seen one with the two allen screw cross bolts and the solid "wings" to protect the red dot. I'm just wondering where this mount fits in the timeline of the different generations and if this style has ever been seen in use.

Also wondering for those that have used this style of mount if there is any significant difference between the Doctor Red Dot and Insight MRDS, does one greatly outperform the other?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
This. It does the exact opposite of what you'd want out of a can. Nothing like saying "hi mr bad guy, I'm over here!" like a 4 foot fireball.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By aaron580:
View All Quotes

CD
Won't the full size version be the Standard SOCOM?  They only had one or two of the Mini SOCOMs.

CD
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Won't the full size version be the Standard SOCOM?  They only had one or two of the Mini SOCOMs.

CD
View All Quotes

CD

CD
I've seen pics of a full size Beast but I don't know how it compares to a SOCOM. I know they're pretty old, so maybe they were the early evolution of the SOCOM?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I took advantage of the nice weather we've been having and ran a few hundred rounds through the Block II . Shooting some paper and plinking at clays on my backstop, this easily continues to be my favorite gun to shoot:

Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:
Sorry Timbo

https://i.imgur.com/gQewvbc.jpg
View Quote
Damn it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:29:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#33]
Could you explain what a drop gauge is?  I didn't know what that meant exactly and how that might bend barrels.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:45:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#34]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Could you explain what a drop gauge is?  I didn't know what that meant exactly and how that might bend barrels.
View Quote
Drop or barrel gauges measure barrel straightness ie drop a gauge down bore.  If it stops then its bent or obstructed some how and unsafe to shoot.  A M16/M4 straightness gauge has the following characteristics.

STEEL,CLASS 440B OR 440C, 6.482 O/A LG; 0.215 IN. DIA BOTH ENDS

Another use of the gauge is to check alignment of the barrel, FH and Suppressor.  Surefire sales these as Alignment gauges.

CD
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Aaaah, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I cant tell if I want to build a RIS FSP or non-FSP. I have both rails and Im not sure which way to go with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By footsoldier9th:
I cant tell if I want to build a RIS FSP or non-FSP. I have both rails and Im not sure which way to go with it.
View Quote
It's arfcom, get both ...
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
You've been here long enough to know the correct answer. Build both
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: footsoldier9th] [#39]
Yep, pretty much what the little voice in my head is saying. F it do both....treat yo self

Originally Posted By sbye:

You've been here long enough to know the correct answer. Build both
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep, pretty much what the little voice in my head is saying. F it do both....treat yo self
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Exactly what I was thinking! Beautiful

Originally Posted By dalynchmob:

http://i64.tinypic.com/28b9y50.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By coldblue:

Not opening crate strapping, but aggressive bayonet training against telephone poles and slamming against rappelling tower walls were the most popular theories.
Years later , I determined the drop gages were getting stuck 90% of the time by bullet jacket material "mounding up" on the muzzle side of the gas port. This was fixable by a new bore brush being chucked in an electric drill with an appropriate length of bore rod and a few minutes of working it back and forth in the gas port area while the drill was working.
View Quote
Wow.  That’s even more interesting (and more believable) than the old rumor.  It sounds like the drop gage procedure should include the drill trick if the barrel fails initially...but I’ll bet it’s not officially sanctioned.

Thanks for the insight, sir.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Would a block II with the RIS II (non FSB) rail have the SOCOM barrel or the standard m4 profile barrel?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Glad to see you found a barrel, even if you overpaid. Don't worry, I do it all the time when I want something NOW. Lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Would a block II with the RIS II (non FSB) rail have the SOCOM barrel or the standard m4 profile barrel?
View Quote
Probably a 99% to 100% chance it would be regular M4.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Govt profile would be most likely. SOCOM profile for the FSP
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By dalynchmob:
I took advantage of the nice weather we've been having and ran a few hundred rounds through the Block II . Shooting some paper and plinking at clays on my backstop, this easily continues to be my favorite gun to shoot:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2cdxuf8.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2reu0lu.jpg
View Quote
Nice looking build.

View Quote
I went with the NON-FSP and didn't look back. I originally thought I wanted an FSP upper, but glad I went the way I did. I think the FSB would have been a nuisance with the way I like to set up my uppers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#48]
@Combat_Diver

Those fat little 10.3" FN barrels are SOCOM/M4A1 profile minus the flats, correct? It seems like I read a couple posts insinuating that they were different, but they appear to be SOCOM profile to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:
@Combat_Diver

Those fat little 10.3" FN barrels are SOCOM/M4A1 profile minus the flats, correct? It seems like I read a couple posts insinuating that they were different, but they appear to be SOCOM profile to me.
View Quote
They have the flats. Hard to see in that pic because the oil and finish is a bit rough looking. But I definitely see a flat
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Got it thanks

FSP- SOCOM BARREL
NON FSP - M4 government profile

Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Probably a 99% to 100% chance it would be regular M4.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 908
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top