Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 5:47:46 PM EDT
I have an 11.5 BCM upper with a Midwest gas block. I want to change the rail, so I am attempting to remove the gas block. The 3/32 hex nuts are red loctited in, and I have only been able to get the middle one out. Any suggestions on techniques to remove the other 2?
heat? (tried some heat with a heat gun)
solvent to dissolve the red loctite?
drill out the other 2 and just get a new gas block?

I have basically turned one hex key into a candy cane.... and snapped another.

BCM gear is very well put together!

thanks-
Rob

PS, the old rail is the MI T-10
the new one is a Larue LT-10, which I prefer the profile for
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Red Loctite basically needs enough heat til it runs. Takes a good bit to liquify it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
hold a soldering iron to the screw head til the loctite burns off
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother and I used a gas stove top to bust loose the lock tight on AK stock screws.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Good question op, I had the same issue once.  Candycanes and all.  Wish I new the answer back then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the screws out!

Used an ideal heat gun, for about 1 min or so, and heated the sides of the MI block. the screws broke loose, without melting the red locktite, so I don't think i over heated the barrel or anything. the heat gun maxes out at 900 deg, so its under the 1100 deg limits of the barrel. (according to the armalite data tech files)

thanks for the support guys.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top