Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2011 11:07:55 AM EDT
I wanted a collapsible gun rack for an upcoming meet out in the grasslands but I'm too cheap to buy one.  So, yesterday I looked around the shop and found some lumber and hardware to make my own.  I didn't follow any plans, it just sort of evolved.  The slots are 2" from the sides and 3" between themselves so that makes the cross pieces 19" long.  
I used a 1" hole saw to make the slots, then sawed down the middle to make the top and bottom pieces.  I just smoothed out the barrel slots with a sanding drum on my drill press and used larger size drum to enlarge the heel slots for the base.  Screwed and glued together so it's solid.  
The rear legs are just fashioned from more frame stock with a decent sized bolt and lock nut as a pivot with a washer in between to act as a bearing plate.  Some small eye screws and a bit of brass chain finished it off.  I slapped on some stain I had left on it, fastened round rubber feet, and called it good.
It's nothing fancy nor really heavy duty but that is what I wanted; a light, compact gun rack that holds 6 long guns.  Best of all it didn't cost a cent 'cause its made from leftovers from other projects.  
It holds 6 long guns with room to spare:

Its light, compact, and it folds flat to transport in the truck:

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great.

If you added bungee cord, you could secure them so that if someone bumps the rack, the rifles will not fall.

Especially with the price of optics these days, I would want to make sure that a rack that isn't super heavy, had a way to ensure the rifles couldn't fall out easily.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work, that would be handy for the range and for 3 gun.
Time to go into production and then get a table at a gun show and sell the heck of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding. I want one. PM me a price to build it for me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Parts/Supply list, please.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
GJ!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool.  I would expect no less from a man who had wood furniture on an AR - take that as a compliment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Parts/Supply list, please.

As I said, scrap lumber, a couple of bolts and some washers, and a few nails and screws.  I've found the spacing I noted in the OP works for most guns.  I explained how I made the notches in the OP too.  The top notched piece is 30" up from the raised base.  The pivot points are 3/8" bolts with 3 washers (outside, inside, between) and a locknut.  Other than that, use what you have.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice portable rifle rack, thinking I just might *barrow* the idea for my own use.

How is the bottom shelf holding up to the weight of the weapons?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks pretty good! The only thing I might change would be to lower the back leg pivot point, and give it a greater angle for more stability. Of course, I can't engineer for shit, just my thought.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I would buy this
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen setups similar to this at fun shows. Wouldn't be a bad addition to my gun room either! I like the idea of adding a bungee cord to it. What about using one of those folding hinges like are used on chest lids or ladders that would keep the legs locked out when used and keep it from unfolding in transport? That would also increase overall stability, plus it would keep the "graceful" ones like me from kicking the legs and folding the whole thing up with $3000 worth of rifles and glass on it.

Okay, now I'm going to have to go scrounge around the shop and see what I have laying around to build one!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#12]
We had some like that on the police range......until someone stole them.

I made a wooden wall rack to hold 8 rifles vertically.  Somewhere along the line I refined the design and messed up my upper rest location.  AR15 Front sight towers were precisely in the wrong spot for my new rifle rack.  

At least you did a nice job and your rack can take carbines and full length long arms.   Many times guys will make these and the carbines will not be long enough to hit the upper rest.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I like it. I've been wanting to build a similar rack for my wall, but my scroll saw and jigsaws are all in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish the closest range to me would let us use a rifle rack like that. They are the SUPER Range Natzies! They will only allow you to have one rifle out of the rifle case to shoot at a time and if your brass touches the shooting table or the ground, it's theirs.Bullcrap HUH!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wish the closest range to me would let us use a rifle rack like that. They are the SUPER Range Natzies! They will only allow you to have one rifle out of the rifle case to shoot at a time and if your brass touches the shooting table or the ground, it's theirs.Bullcrap HUH!

Wow, that IS crap, especially about them taking your brass! Nothing a simple brass catcher can't fix, but still! That's borderline theft in my book.

Thank God I live in a part of the country that you can just pull off on a dirt road and shoot where you want without any worry that someone is going to charge you $20 to steal your brass!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Love it!  I have a couple of similar ones i built, but they dont fold....
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would buy this

Was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice work.

If it was painted black, it would be a Tactical collaspible gun rack.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#19]
nice job,slide in some pegboard,and hang your pistols.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice Job OP!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top