Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2011 7:39:07 AM EDT
if you notice really sharp edges and/or roughness in the feed ramps, then is it beneficial to polish the feed ramps?  

I am having a fail to feed sometimes and notice the cartridge is hung up on the feed ramp and the bolt. In other words, instead of pushing the cartridge into the barrel, it gets jammed between the feed ramp and the bolt.

Would a good polish remedy the situation?  I should mention that it is not magazine dependent.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#1]
probably a burr..I would get a soft dremel polishing wheel with the red polishing materieal and just polish it right out.You could also use a small concave file to dress it down.Are you using an M4 ramped barrel on a ramped upper or some other combo?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it actually getting hung up on the feed ramp, or could it be either a bad mag, or possibly under-powered ammo and too heavy of a buffer to cycle the bcg properly?

What are the specs of the rifle/ammo/mags you are having the issue with?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#3]
You could try ordering the Wolff XP buffer spring, and make sure you're not riding the charging handle.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]
sounds like a possible burr where the ramps were cut in the barrel extension

i had a similar problem. i would contact the manufacturer before i tried any work on the barrel extension.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
sounds like a possible burr where the ramps were cut in the barrel extension

i had a similar problem. i would contact the manufacturer before i tried any work on the barrel extension.

This. I would in no way take a file or dremel tool to the feed ramps on my AR. I built my last AR and it is flawless. But I don't feel I have the finness or skill to polish feed ramps as good as a manufacturer can when done properly. OP, if you have ruled out the usual suspects, magazine, buffer spring, ect, then contact the manufacturer and let them make it right. Any decent company will take care of that if indeed its the problem.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Send it to ADCO, they'll use a dremel too just like you would, then charge you $15 . plus shipping. Or do it yourself.
If you are tool savy and familier with a dremel it's nothing. Don't listen to all the pantswetters that are afraid to use tools.
On the other hand, if you were planning to run out and buy a dremel and have your first big adventure with it, you might want to start somewhere besides inside your AR......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top