Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You take your chances.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
No name barrel, I think I'll pass
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll pass. Little things like " M4 Styled barrel" or " Similar to military finish" or whatever they said. They sure didn't say it was truly a M4 barrel, nor what steel it is made out of, or the company than made it,the finish may not be more then Krylon, I don't believe it mentioned M4 feedramps. Sounds like a box of Cracker Jacks and not something I would risk the cash on.
YMMV
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
i bet itll probably last long enough to get your money out of it.

don't expect a 20k round lifespan... or a sub moa shooter... and keep it clean.

if you are budget building a plinker why not?

Don't let these guys who say "if its not a BCM/COLT/DD barrel itll blow up and its shit"  get to you.  I mean by no means are these barrels in the same realm quality wise as one of those other brands... but im sure bullets will fly out of it.

As to how well they will fly out of it, and for how long they will fly out of it with any reasonable accuracy... i can't speak to that. But i assume by even entertaining the thought of a $99 barrel you are aware already that it won't be as good as some of the other options.

And youll have to take the risk of it coming to you from the factory out of spec.. or rusted.. or improperly drilled gas holes etc.  But im sure if you have those problems they will warranty it?

You just gotta weigh the risks and rewards yourself.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't buy it just because it calls it an "assault weapon part".
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys will let your own hard heads and superstitions keep you from getting great deals. Hey, SG has a bullet-proof guarantee. If you don't like the barrel, get a refund! If I were looking for a barrel of that type, I'd be on it in a minute.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd pass. I'd much rather a quality used barrel or to spend a few more bucks on a DSA nitrided barrel or barreled upper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had good experiences with SG. For 99 bucks its worth a try IMO.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't let these guys who say "if its not a BCM/COLT/DD barrel itll blow up and its shit"  get to you. I mean by no means are these barrels in the same realm quality wise as one of those other brands... but im sure bullets will fly out of it.As to how well they will fly out of it, and for how long they will fly out of it with any reasonable accuracy... i can't speak to that. But i assume by even entertaining the thought of a $99 barrel you are aware already that it won't be as good as some of the other options.

And youll have to take the risk of it coming to you from the factory out of spec.. or rusted.. or improperly drilled gas holes etc.  But im sure if you have those problems they will warranty it?

Don't bring this attitude up here. The barrel is a very key part of your rifle. If you feel it is worth it to have a sub par barrel than we have a difference right there. I am not a rich snob, never have been , never will. I buy plain wrap TP from WalMart , plain wrap mayo, mustard, etc............. . But when it comes to firearms and tools I will draw the line. I don't buy any of the Tiawan made junk selling at a swap meet or dollar store. Drills come from Milwalkee, Routers and Belt sanders come from Porter Cable, Nail guns and staple guns from Senco, see where I am going? When you rely on your tools to make a living you buy the best you can possibly afford. When you are buying a firearm you buy the best you can afford and you make sure 200% that it will not fail. This is not an area  where I will ever recommend someone to take chances on  crap like this. I carry two guns everyday for the last 14 years, again not a place to cut corners. Obviously you feel different and want to wipe the rest of us off as Gun Snobs when nothing could be more false. You spend your money the way you want and I will continue to recommend quality tools and firearms to those who want to learn the truth. Damn good thing Lorcin, Davis, Charter Bull dog don't make AR's, but I am sure they would have plenty of customers, lol!!!!  

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bring this attitude up here. The barrel is a very key part of your rifle. If you feel it is worth it to have a sub par barrel than we have a difference right there. I am not a rich snob, never have been , never will. I buy plain wrap TP from WalMart , plain wrap mayo, mustard, etc............. . But when it comes to firearms and tools I will draw the line. I don't buy any of the Tiawan made junk selling at a swap meet or dollar store. Drills come from Milwalkee, Routers and Belt sanders come from Porter Cable, Nail guns and staple guns from Senco, see where I am going? When you rely on your tools to make a living you buy the best you can possibly afford. When you are buying a firearm you buy the best you can afford and you make sure 200% that it will not fail. This is not an area  where I will ever recommend someone to take chances on  crap like this. I carry two guns everyday for the last 14 years, again not a place to cut corners. Obviously you feel different and want to wipe the rest of us off as Gun Snobs when nothing could be more false. You spend your money the way you want and I will continue to recommend quality tools and firearms to those who want to learn the truth. Damn good thing Lorcin, Davis, Charter Bull dog don't make AR's, but I am sure they would have plenty of customers, lol!!!!  

What attitude?

Those barrels are made by Mossberg i believe.. in the USA.  And they are a known quantity.  This deal is nothing new.  Its been used by others with success.

There is no relevance to your argument about things not made in the USA.

And you'll note that i said those barrels WON'T be as good as another known and respected brand.  But im sure they will work fine for a plinker.  Notice i didn't say to trust your life on those barrels.. although im sure that those barrels would put a bullet downrange just like many others. I would not recommend that barrel for a rifle you would be trusting your life on... and i did not.

If its a budget build which im sure it is by him even considering the barrel...it would probably work fine.  and that is all i said.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.  And if you have any actual technical data to PROVE that these barrels won't fire bullets like i said they would.. then by all means, bring it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't let these guys who say "if its not a BCM/COLT/DD barrel itll blow up and its shit"  get to you. I mean by no means are these barrels in the same realm quality wise as one of those other brands... but im sure bullets will fly out of it.As to how well they will fly out of it, and for how long they will fly out of it with any reasonable accuracy... i can't speak to that. But i assume by even entertaining the thought of a $99 barrel you are aware already that it won't be as good as some of the other options.

lol...  If I need to put non-precise holes in cheap materiel, and I don't have a drill or drill press, I buy the $15 drill from Wal-mart.    Nothing wrong with it either.  If it works for me, it works.

I've got a 62 year old rifle and some 53 year old ammo that'll hit an 18" wide target at 800yd.  Cost me $80 for 800 rounds of the ammo, and $250 for the rifle.  People that think like you are the same ones that think surplus ammo will rip out your rifling, tracers melt your bore, corrosive ammo shooting in the lane next to me will rust MY rifle...  Then again, that's just more cheap shit left for me to buy & use

There's a time and place for everything, I also have a $1400 6.5 Grendel AR with a $1300 NF NXS scope on it and reload match-grade ammo for it with meticulous precision.  I would buy that barrel if I wanted a 5.56 AR for cheap, no worries.  Just don't expect anything better than 3MOA accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Not in the market for a barrel right now, but if I were I would consider it. I have a DPMS M4 barrel in the closet I plan to build into an upper someday.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Didn't someone claim in the other thread that these were Mossberg barrels?

Yeah im pretty sure a few people have claimed that.  And gotten acceptable results.  

My search-fu is weak.

Nvm... google works

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=516968&page=2
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'll pass. Little things like " M4 Styled barrel" or " Similar to military finish" or whatever they said. They sure didn't say it was truly a M4 barrel, nor what steel it is made out of, or the company than made it,the finish may not be more then Krylon, I don't believe it mentioned M4 feedramps. Sounds like a box of Cracker Jacks and not something I would risk the cash on.

YMMV

You ever seen an M4 with a 16" barrel? Therefore "M4 style" is correct. The Colt 6920 has a "M4 style barrel".

And "Military-style Parkerized finish" means just that, Parkerized, like the military uses.

As far as the other concerns, just call.

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
it looks like shit. That and there's no gas porting. Pay the extra money and get the real deal. If you (or anyone here) buys one, please post pictures and do a mini-review for us.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
it looks like shit. That and there's no gas porting. Pay the extra money and get the real deal. If you (or anyone here) buys one, please post pictures and do a mini-review for us.
Thanks.

where is it noted that the gas port isn't drilled? Have you had experience with these barrels yourself?
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The cost of the labor to have the barrel drilled to mount the FSB.

Is the gas port drilled?

???

Care to repeat that statement using a complete sentence?

Not being a smart ass, I just want to understand your view.

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

YMMV

"M4 style" usually means having the GL step cut and modern feed ramps.  I care about neither.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]
SG has awesome customer service I have ordered from them many times am a club member and have their cerdit card. Buy from them with confidence if its not what you expect send it back and get a refund. Call them up and find out the brand for all you know it could be a colt barrel.

Eta; I just emailed them asking the brand I will post when I get more information
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#24]
The reviews are hilarious.  Most of them sound like they were offered by someone in a cave in Afghanistan.

Excellent so that. I must buy it again.
PORAMEIT, PORTLAND, OR 12-12-2010 [Rating from this customer:5]
This is the second barrel for a m4 great great price. The last one i used myself 1/2 at 100 yards!!!
JERRY L, CHINO VALLEY, AZ 11-16-2010 [Rating from this customer:5]

I just to say one word!!!Just one word!!! EXCELLENT!!!
PORAMEIT, PORTLAND, OR 10-11-2010 [Rating from this customer:5]
I was very superized at the excellent fit and quality for the price of this barrel, I will order another one as soon as I finish the Rifle Im working on now. Im very pleased at this purchase not only on the product but the shipping and customer service... You will see me again.... Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#25]
- Deleted by moderator. Off topic, personal insults, not allowed in tech forums. Warning issued. -
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#26]
- deleted -

Uh, jan 2011, low post count, wild accusations, hmmm.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#27]
- deleted -
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#28]
- deleted -

GD is that way >
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought one for the hell of it. Yes! it comes with the gas port drilled. No you don't have to mount a FSB. Yes it has M-4 feed ramps, Yes according to Sportmans guide it was made by Mossburg. The barrel finish was less than stellar, the the 1/2X28 threading was good. Not chrome lined. Barrel 1/7 twist,5.56 mm chamber. 16 in carbine gas. Attached a lo-pro gas block carbine  gas tube,used 12 in standard rifle handguards,attached a clamp on FSB made by Armalite end plate included. Yes I had a extra upper receiver M-4 Cuts,Charge handle,Bcg. Attached to lower I had in a drawer. Went to my back deck, loaded up and fired. 250 rounds no,let me say this again NO failure of any kind. Not to bad for a 90.00 barrel. It may not last 2000 rounds, but I did kill that poor stump.

And no I do not know how to load pictures.

RJ
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cost of the labor to have the barrel drilled to mount the FSB.

Is the gas port drilled?

???

Care to repeat that statement using a complete sentence?

Not being a smart ass, I just want to understand your view.

His question was, what am I missing. I said he is missing the cost of the labor to have the barrel drilled to mount the FSB. There is not one on that barrel. So, someone will need to mount it. And that is not something you do with hand tools in the garage. I suppose you could, but the results would not be stellar.

Then I asked if the gas port was drilled in the barrel. If so good. If not, then that is another expense. I would hope that it was drilled.

Got it. Makes sense with the title. I generally base responses off the OP. The title wasn't even on my mind at the time.

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought 2 so far after i saw how well the first 1 shot .  shooting wolf millitary classic  steel cased ammo with a 1x5 power scope i was getting 1.5 inch groups at a 100yds. I have one set up as a 3 gun rifle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#34]
yea,

I have an extra gas block and gas tube. I'll fit this bad boy on my Barret/lmt upper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I bought 2 so far after i saw how well the first 1 shot .  shooting wolf millitary classic  steel cased ammo with a 1x5 power scope i was getting 1.5 inch groups at a 100yds. I have one set up as a 3 gun rifle.

Pics or it didnt happen
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Bottom line is, no matter what company is selling it. It's $99 so......just because it isnt a big name barrel, dosent mean it wont shoot. Hell for $99 can you really go wrong? Mossburg shotguns are good, and their rifles aren't bad. So if the barrel is a "mossburg" and we're talking about the same company that makes shotguns (not sure who provides mossburg with their bolt action rifle barrels) I'm sure it's worth the $99.

If all else fails make a plain jane A1 carbine out of it, blast some cheap wolf ammo for kicks, or make a beater truck gun. A guy just posted a thread doing this yesterday. I think he built a A1 "kick around" gun for like $400 all from the EE. Looked like a fun little carbine, I'm sure he'll have a blast with it.

Crap........ even though I dont like The SG, I think I'm talking myself into one
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics or it didnt happen

[/img]

Had 3 witnes"s  who could not beleive a $100  barrel could do that  who now beleive , did the same thing the next day.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#38]
- deleted -

I'm with you on that man, that "HERP DERP LOW POST COUNT!!!!" shit really pisses me off sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#39]
How about a Green Mountain barrel.   $139.0   I was impressed with the 20" LW barrel that they were selling, maybe these would be good to go to.   I stay away from Nobodys Guide and Cheaper Than Freaking Nobody.

http://images.ebsco.com/pob/greenmountain/catalog/GM-M4%20Detail%20Print.jpg
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics or it didnt happen

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af196/slip357/DSCN1479.jpg[/url]

Had 3 witnes"s  who could not beleive a $100  barrel could do that  who now beleive , did the same thing the next day.

HeHe, I belived you without the pic.....I dont know you, why would I assume your a liar? Nice shooting man.

I'm with you on that man, that "HERP DERP LOW POST COUNT!!!!" shit really pisses me off sometimes.

THANK YOU! God bless someone else for thinking that too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Yep.

It's a mossberg...
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey, it surprised the hell out of me .  Thats why i bought a 2nd one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought the same barrel for my el cheapo build for my kid. I paid 89 bucks for it, that was the price in their latest catalog. Can't tell much difference between it and my Daniel Defense which was a bit more than double that. For a knock around gun it looks like it will do the job. It was drilled for the gas port and did have the M4 cuts. I guess I'll find out when I get it put together.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Thats what i paid for my 2 , you will be happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy it just because it calls it an "assault weapon part".

Not assault, that's too harsh of a word.  It should be referred to as a part for ...Wait for it...
A very deadly weapon purposely Intended to cause permanent intense death and or horrific serious personal injury to children and the elderly ...times two !
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, I'm getting it. However, it's on backorder. Has anyone had BO issues with SG? Are they usually pretty good about getting stuff back in stock on that date?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I had asked about these barrels a couple months back. A couple people said they were serviceable. I have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Well, I'm getting it. However, it's on backorder. Has anyone had BO issues with SG? Are they usually pretty good about getting stuff back in stock on that date?

Thanks,

I've never had a back order from them. ordered a bunch of stuff over the past couple years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had asked about these barrels a couple months back. A couple people said they were serviceable. I have no experience with them.

yea, that's about all i need it to be. It will be for a back up upper!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top